Would it be fair to say that Eli Manning has been below average for 75% of his career?

patriotsheatyan

13 hours ago, Malik said:
  • Ken Anderson
  • Matt Hasselbeck
  • Donovan McNabb
  • Drew Bledsoe
  • Steve McNair

Question for Eli to the Hall of Fame: All of these guys roughly played at or on a higher level of Eli Manning for their careers. If they were lucky enough to win the Super Bowl that they starter in do all of these guys become Hall of Famers?

Ken Anderson would definitely get in with SB's.  He has a case without them.  He was a top QB in his era

McNair would have a case with SB's.  And probably McNabb.  Not Hasselbeck or Bledsoe though.  Those guys were league average QB's.

6 hours ago, childofpudding said:

He'll likely be remembered in history as an overall average QB (not below average) who had a couple great playoff runs. I honestly have no idea whether he'll get into the HOF or not.

This is exactly what he was.  

2 hours ago, theJ said:

Ken Anderson would definitely get in with SB's.  He has a case without them.  He was a top QB in his era

McNair would have a case with SB's.  And probably McNabb.  Not Hasselbeck or Bledsoe though.  Those guys were league average QB's.

Eli was league average if you subtract Super Bowls. 

42 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Eli was league average if you subtract Super Bowls. 

I think he was probably, maybe, above average.  It's hard to tell exactly though.  He's certainly been above the median, but that doesn't mean he's above the average.

The point is moot though.  Even in his best seasons, he was close to top 5.  But mostly he's been closer to top 10, and only there because the bottom 20 are that bad.  And it doesn't mean he was that close to the top 3-5, because they were usually light years ahead of him.

In other words, if Aaron Rodgers was maybe the #3 or #4 QB from 2004-2012 (for example), and Eli Manning was number #5 (for example), it doesn't mean he was that close to Rodgers.  There's a big gap between him and the top.

He just has a lot of atrocious games that drag that average way down. I don't think he's had more than 1-2 truly bad seasons that I can think of. He just has these abomination games where he'll turn the ball over 4 times and look like Chelsea Manning instead of an actual Manning.

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

How can anyone even say Eli Manning is "below" average? Below average QB's don't last 10+ years in the NFL as a starter for a single team. It's fair to say he's the at or near the bottom of "average", but not below. 

11252.png

12 hours ago, theJ said:

I think he was probably, maybe, above average.  It's hard to tell exactly though.  He's certainly been above the median, but that doesn't mean he's above the average.

The point is moot though.  Even in his best seasons, he was close to top 5.  But mostly he's been closer to top 10, and only there because the bottom 20 are that bad.  And it doesn't mean he was that close to the top 3-5, because they were usually light years ahead of him.

In other words, if Aaron Rodgers was maybe the #3 or #4 QB from 2004-2012 (for example), and Eli Manning was number #5 (for example), it doesn't mean he was that close to Rodgers.  There's a big gap between him and the top.

Fair but I think my overall point is when you account for the era's they played, Eli really wasn't much better than a guy like Bledsoe. He has marginally better stats playing almost entirely post 2004 while Bledsoe played all but a couple years pre that. So when you look at things like there averages and account for era's they are very similar. And Hasselbeck and Eli are remarkably similar as well for two guys who both played roughly in the same time. 

So I don't see any reason why you would say that Eli with two rings gets in, but Bledsoe and Hasselbeck don't with rings. 

And that's kind my point. Eli's argument is his rings. Hell you could make a great argument that Ben who was always regarded as much better is borderline without rings. 

21 hours ago, lancerman said:

Fair but I think my overall point is when you account for the era's they played, Eli really wasn't much better than a guy like Bledsoe. He has marginally better stats playing almost entirely post 2004 while Bledsoe played all but a couple years pre that. So when you look at things like there averages and account for era's they are very similar. And Hasselbeck and Eli are remarkably similar as well for two guys who both played roughly in the same time. 

So I don't see any reason why you would say that Eli with two rings gets in, but Bledsoe and Hasselbeck don't with rings. 

And that's kind my point. Eli's argument is his rings. Hell you could make a great argument that Ben who was always regarded as much better is borderline without rings. 

Hasselbeck's legacy is really hurt that the Seahawks immediately fell into Russell Wilson AND they won a Super Bowl quickly thereafter. He would be more fondly remembered (or remembered at all?) if that didn't happen to the Seahawks. Same for Bledsoe honestly. It's amazing that Eli Manning is a two time Super Bowl winning QB that plays in NY and has only been voted to 4 pro bowls too.

On 11/29/2017 at 5:51 PM, El ramster said:

You admire Flacco is a pos scrub? Yet why were there so many Raven fans to come to his defense.. 

(1) There's a lot of room between HoFer and pos scrub.

(2) @Darth Pees may be the least likely Ravens fan to defend any Raven (besides Ed Reed's legacy, I think).

53 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

(1) There's a lot of room between HoFer and pos scrub.

(2) @Darth Pees may be the least likely Ravens fan to defend any Raven (besides Ed Reed's legacy, I think).

Depends on the context, tbh. I think Eli and Flacco are two exceptions to the general rule that average QB's don't last a decade for one single team. The only reason they lasted was because of Superbowl wins. FWIW, Eli has pretty much always been better than Flacco.

Archived