Would it be fair to say that Eli Manning has been below average for 75% of his career?

patriotsheatyan

It is fair, yes. He's been a good servant for the Giants but in all honesty I've grown tired of making excuses for his play. Eli will end his career with only a 7.0 career YPA. Correct for Odell's influence, Eli's career YPA is probably around Joe Flacco has 6.8 YPA. So if Eli enters the HOF, Flacco should get in too. 

I'd vote for Eli because I'm a Giants fan but..

4 hours ago, Starless said:

If Jim Plunkett isn't in the HOF, Eli shouldn't be, either.

Can't compare the two. Plunkett started both Super Bowl seasons as the backup; Eli started 210 consecutive games.

As for Eli's HoF credentials, as much as it pains me to say it as a Pats fan, he's going to get in whether we like it or not. He has the last name and his victory in Super Bowl XLII is now considered legendary.

3 hours ago, patriotsheatyan said:

He was below average in passer rating a majority of the seasons in his career, and you don't consider leading the league in interceptions bad.

No he wasn’t. League average in passer rating this decade is around 85isb. Eli was either at 85ish or above, for all but 5 years of his 13 year career. 

Even if it was a correct statement you made, when did passer rating become the singular most important stat? 8 of his seasons he has thrown for 60%+ completion percentage (which I’m sure is above average). 7 seasons he has thrown for 25+ TDs. 6 seasons of 4,000+ yards. 

Statistics aside, he was streaky but hardly ever below average. You’re welcome to name 16 better starters in some of the seasons that he wasn’t obviously struggling. 

Definite hall of famer for some legitimate and less ligit reasons. 

He played QB and played a lot of games. 

Played some great games of football along he way. 

His name is Manning. That is the NFL royal blood line.

Played for NY Giants a storied franchise. 

two superbowls. 

A name that everyone in America knows. 

You cannot tell the story of the NFL without him. 

Also drafted 1 by San Deigo and never played a down for them, it adds to his story. 

Never an idiot to the media. that is worth 1000 points. 

If he gets in then Russell Wilson should be able to get in without playing another snap. There's no way in hell you can take Wilson who is trendng better in every bulk stat, is a far superior QB when it comes to efficiency (second best passer rating ever), has a rushing component Eli never had, and then say he can't get in because Malcolm Butler caught an interception and Asante Samuels dropped one. 

Eli's the worst QB with multiple Super Bowls since Plunkett, if he gets in you are determining a floor for the HOF. 

Joe Namath was trash, but he had that one big moment that carried his career. Eli has two of those moments and a much better career. He is going to get into the HOF.

As for him being below average for 75% of his career, I'd disagree. I don't like Eli at all but he has most definitely been at least average for most seasons and above average in a few of them. 

Also the last name argument is stupid. Archie Manning isn't in the HOF. Peyton will be, but Peyton also legitimately was a top 3 QB ever and owned every bulk stat record worth having when he retired and put up two of the top 5 QB seasons ever in 2004 and 2013 (add Marino in 1984, and Brady in 07, then pick whoever for the fifth).

2 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Also the last name argument is stupid. Archie Manning isn't in the HOF. Peyton will be, but Peyton also legitimately was a top 3 QB ever and owned every bulk stat record worth having when he retired and put up two of the top 5 QB seasons ever in 2004 and 2013 (add Marino in 1984, and Brady in 07, then pick whoever for the fifth).

Eli isn't a HoFer, but below average for 75% of his career is pushing it.

1 minute ago, MightyMouse07 said:

Joe Namath was trash, but he had that one big moment that carried his career. Eli has two of those moments and a much better career. He is going to get into the HOF.

As for him being below average for 75% of his career, I'd disagree. I don't like Eli at all but he has most definitely been at least average for most seasons and above average in a few of them. 

Sorry this is flat out wrong. Joe Namath was easily the best or second best QB in AFL history (you could argue Dawson). He was an AFL MVP twice, multi time All Pro in the AFL, had a year where he led the NFL in both passing yards and TD's (Eli's only ever led in interceptions) and was probably a top 3 QB in his era after Starr and Unitas (again maybe throw Dawson in there). Eli's literally not even top 5 of his era (Brady, Brees, Peyton, Rodgers, Ben are all easily ahead of him). 

Archived