What should new Washington nickname be?

dll2000

New Washington Nickname  

50 members have voted

1. 1. If new owners were willing, what should new nickname be?

• Red Wolves
    • DC Football Club
    • Football Team
    • Human Beings
    • Warthogs
    • Red Clouds
    • Red Hogs
    • Powhatan
    • Mud Hogs
    • Boss Hogs
    • Hogs
    • Red Tails
    • Generals
    • Red Rockets
    • Knights
    • Spartans
    • Sentinels
    • Bravehearts
    • Warriors

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/28/2023 at 07:46 PM

You could pick a local tribe name, that was my original idea when they decided to change it.

The District of Columbia shares borders with Maryland and Virginia, and connect with lands along the Anacostia and Potomac River. These river systems and current national parks are where the Piscataway, Pamunkey, the Nentego (Nanichoke), Mattaponi, Chickahominy, Monacan, and the Powhatan cultures thrived.

Washington Piscataway

Washington Nentego and so on.

I would probably go with Washington Powhatan.

Then you could use old logo or some derivation without being offensive.  

Especially if you got permission.

3 hours ago, Malik said:

Washington Football Team was actually unique and different from any other team name in American sports. They should go back to that. I don't get people's obsession with trying to evoke Native American imagery.

I didn't mean to be obsessed with it and I agree they can't go back anywhere near it now. I was just sharing a thought I had in the past about it

Football Team was unique but not in a good way imo

10 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Post your suggestions for a new name or your preferred name.

I will take best ones and make into a poll.  Apologies if this was done in past.   Well, we can do it again.  

Dan

I like the Red Tails. Named for the Tuskeegee Airmen. 

redtails2.png

Edited by scar988
Added the concepts online.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Malik said:

Washington Football Team was actually unique and different from any other team name in American sports. They should go back to that. I don't get people's obsession with trying to evoke Native American imagery.

Agreed. Liked the logo too and everything. Even before the change I was pushing Washington Football Club as WFC rolls off the tongue (DCFC works as well but maybe less popular) and as a cheeky nod to football vs. soccer. WFT is close enough that I'm cool with it as well.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, N4L said:

Nahhh, that ship has sailed. Just choose a different name. It is not worth it. 

Maybe.

When I was a kid in 80s we often did book reports on Indian tribes and culture.  I did more than one.  This was normal for a lot of schools, especially across Midwest.  

Any knowledge of local tribes or culture is extremely rare now.  

This was driven in part because we had a lot of schools named after Indian or native words and they had drawings of same represented on walls and what not.  

People were naturally curious or more so.  It was not all insulting, but much it was intended to honor even if it was sometimes cartoonish.  Just like we do for Spartans or Trojans or Knights.

We still have streets and city names, but a lot of schools and especially the nicknames are gone now.

I think in all the political correctness that may have had some good intentions there was definitely unintended consequences.

We are losing and have lost historical knowledge and interest. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Maybe.

When I was a kid in 80s we often did book reports on Indian tribes and culture.  I did more than one.  This was normal for a lot of schools, especially across Midwest.  

Any knowledge of local tribes or culture is extremely rare now.  

This was driven in part because we had a lot of schools named after Indian or native words and they had drawings of same represented on walls and what not.  

People were naturally curious or more so.  It was not all insulting, but much it was intended to honor even if it was sometimes cartoonish.  Just like we do for Spartans or Trojans or Knights.

We still have streets and city names, but a lot of schools and especially the nicknames are gone now.

I think in all the political correctness that may have had some good intentions there was definitely unintended consequences.

We are losing and have lost historical knowledge and interest. 

Your absolutely right.  I remember carving little totem poles as kids and getting spearheads from the local nature store.  Idk where this victim mindset was attached to native Americans but they didn’t get steamrolled by “Colonialists” or quickly genocided…. They fought back like crazy.  Always had respect for that at a kid.  And it seemed the native Americans were very proud of having that warrior heritage.

but history has had large sections straight up changed over the years.

Example, Why aren’t black millionaires post abolition ever taught in schools.  Give people a sense of pride and vision to follow not tell them they have no control over their destiny because of “the system”.

Edited by jimkelly02