49ers fielding trade calls for QB Trey Lance

RaidersAreOne

49 minutes ago, Forge said:

It's brock purdy? 

Moving forward, sure, but haven't Lynch, Shanny, and Purdy all collectively said there's no idea when he'll be ready to go and a backup plan needed to be in place? 

Don't tell me they actually believe Sam Darnold can hold the fort down in the meantime.....

6 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Moving forward, sure, but haven't Lynch, Shanny, and Purdy all collectively said there's no idea when he'll be ready to go and a backup plan needed to be in place? 

Don't tell me they actually believe Sam Darnold can hold the fort down in the meantime.....

Darnold was decent in Carolina, which was a worse roster than SF. If Purdy misses a month, I think Darnold could go 2-2 depending on the schedule.

• Like 2

Just now, ronjon1990 said:

They won't have a clear outlook on his recovery until 3 months after surgery is my understanding. Right now its anywhere from training camp to week 4 per Lynch and Shanny. Nick Mullens had the same surgery late december and was ready for the start of camp with time to spare. He started throwing in 3 months after his surgery. 

That's one of the reasons I can't see them parting with Trey for anything less than a good return. He has more value to them in the immediate future just because the Purdy injury. If you're not getting the value you want now it's not like you're losing much value on the trade if you wait.  If someone makes them a real offer that they have to take, I think that they will just ride with Darnold if Purdy needs to miss a couple of weeks. 

They've done a ton of work on mid round QBs in this draft as well, especially DTR, who they have had multiple meetings, workouts and apparently a top 30 visit with 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Forge said:

Mike Vick thew less than 350 passes in his college career. Cam newton started 14 games at auburn and threw less than 300 passes. There are layers upon layers of context and nuance. 

Both of those players had extraordinary success on the field in college though.  Richardson and Lance didn't have careers anything like that. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Forge said:

Nobody can stop Cousins and Shanny's love affair (this is a joke - Vikings can't move Cousins this year, I think) 

Can’t see the Vikes trading Cousins at this point with the contract but I’d definitely be interested in trying to acquire Lance to serve as a backup this year and starter in 2024. Not sure that is what Lance wants right now but he’s from Mn so maybe he’d be fine with it knowing he’s going to take over a pretty talented offense in 2024 with a young Offensive minded head coach. I’d make a deal if Mn could still keep this years first round pick. The defense is a joke. No second round pick this year either. 

Edited by vikingsrule

2 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Can’t see the Vikes trading Cousins at this point with the contract but I’d definitely be interested in trying to acquire Lance to serve as a backup this year and starter in 2024. Not sure that is what Lance wants right now but he’s from Mn so maybe he’d be fine with it knowing he’s going to take over a pretty talented offense in 2024 with a young Offensive minded head coach. I’d make a deal if Mn could still keep this years first round pick. The defense is a joke. No second round pick this year either. 

Well I was rooting for Lance, but if this is true, I hope he's awful :)

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

Both of those players had extraordinary success on the field in college though.  Richardson and Lance didn't have careers anything like that. 

Part of the context and nuance.  

I mean, I get what you're saying - I have specific traits that I ding prospects for (most notably age) that is similar to what you're saying, and I do also consider experience and one year wonder status, but if we are paring down comparables until it's only Lance and Richardson because one reminds you of the other, I don't know how much value it has. I think I just need a larger sample set 

• Like 2

I don't think the 49ers have any intention of trading him. I think he takes the job from Brock early into the season. Teams will have tape on Brock now, just like they had tape on Jimmy after Jimmy started 6-0. Kyle can make Trey a superstar, and they are not gonna give up on him after 3 games. 2 of which being a rookie who had no business playing snaps.

10 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I don't think the 49ers have any intention of trading him. I think he takes the job from Brock early into the season. Teams will have tape on Brock now, just like they had tape on Jimmy after Jimmy started 6-0. Kyle can make Trey a superstar, and they are not gonna give up on him after 3 games. 2 of which being a rookie who had no business playing snaps.

I think you overrate how Kyle feels about Trey. I think Kyle to some extent views these guys as cogs in his machine, nothing more. He's got that Gruden in him. He'll probably be ready to move on from Brock in 2 years as well. He's going to spend his career falling in and out of love with QBs, I think. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I think you overrate how Kyle feels about Trey. I think Kyle to some extent views these guys as cogs in his machine, nothing more. He's got that Gruden in him. He'll probably be ready to move on from Brock in 2 years as well. He's going to spend his career falling in and out of love with QBs, I think. 

There is an entire unique playbook for Trey that hasn't even been tested though. Couldn't use it in the Bears puddle game. For all we know the scheme can turn Lance into Jalen Hurts. Kyle is an offensive genius afterall. He is going to want to test this scheme out. 

33 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

There is an entire unique playbook for Trey that hasn't even been tested though. Couldn't use it in the Bears puddle game. For all we know the scheme can turn Lance into Jalen Hurts. Kyle is an offensive genius afterall. He is going to want to test this scheme out. 

Lance isn't that good of a runner and the one indictment that has come out pretty strongly regarding Lance is how disappointed the team has been with regards to his running ability. He's not a natural runner like Hurts. I think he's closer to a Dak Prescott type runner, to be honest (which I actually like...in a vacuum I don't see what I'm saying as a negative). 

And there really isn't a "unique playbook" outside of the counter bashes, QB Power, etc. The passing schemes are mostly the same. You may see some variations in terms of what the QB checks to at the line or an alert route that they take advantage of. Lance may be more likely to go to an alert route down the field when coverage dictates than Purdy / JImmy (see Texans pre-season game last year). 

If we are being honest, it makes the most out of sense that its coming from the 49ers side to see if they can get offers to a point where they are able to move him, which probably suggests that the offers that they have gotten (if any) aren't good enough and that the 49ers are looking to move him. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Ironically, Baltimore would make the most sense for him with the Lamar debacle, but at this point we have a stalemate there.

If I'm the Texans, Colts, Titans, Jets, Falcons, Commanders, or Bucs I'm at least inquiring and perhaps offering something.

No.

5 hours ago, Forge said:

Depends on what is offered. I think if Houston puts 33 on the table, or Indy puts 35 on the table, it will get real consideration. 

It's a big risk by the niners though. They really won't know anything about purdys recovery until month 3. 

Im not even sure Lance is really worth a 2nd round pick right now. What has he really done? He certainly hasnt looked the part of a franchise QB. Its also pretty telling what SF thinks of him being willing to give up on him so quickly