49ers fielding trade calls for QB Trey Lance

RaidersAreOne

5 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

Would be funny if he got traded then Purdy isn't ready.

I think they are and should be perfectly comfortable with Darnold.. i think they will also draft a QB, that kid from UCLA would be a nice get

14 minutes ago, VigilantZombie said:

Im not even sure Lance is really worth a 2nd round pick right now. What has he really done? He certainly hasnt looked the part of a franchise QB. Its also pretty telling what SF thinks of him being willing to give up on him so quickly 

I could be wrong but I dont think the team is giving up on him quickly.  I read it as they are receiving calls from teams interested in him. 

• Like 1

Why would Houston be remotely interested?

Lance is most valuable to a team with an older QB ready to be replaced in case Lance figures it out or a team with an unproven guy but not within reach of one of the top QBs in this class. He's not valuable to any team that has a shot at one of the top 3-5 QBs this year.

Teams I could see being interested in Lance: Patriots, Dolphins, Steelers, Ravens, Raiders, Titans, Colts, Washington, Vikings, Lions, Bucs, Rams

Actually a fairly long list

33 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

I could be wrong but I dont think the team is giving up on him quickly.  I read it as they are receiving calls from teams interested in him. 

Whats the value on him as a trade piece is the real question. Im going to need a rational 49ers fan for more details but I remember him being injured, never being ready to take the job from JimmyG and looking pedestrian when he did get a chance to play. Its the same thing as trying to find the value of Jordan Love and surely their value isnt what it was 3 years ago when they were drafted. Maybe.

A 2nd rounder? I dont know

Edited by AkronsWitness

1 hour ago, VigilantZombie said:

Im not even sure Lance is really worth a 2nd round pick right now. What has he really done? He certainly hasnt looked the part of a franchise QB. Its also pretty telling what SF thinks of him being willing to give up on him so quickly 

If trade value was determined solely by what a player has done, I would agree. But there are a ton of factors that go into that and as I mentioned before, this has not been something that has slowed teams in the past. Layers upon layers:

• Position
  • Leverage
  • Contract
  • Past play 
  • Personal evaluation
  • Draft evaluation if the player is young enough 
  • Previous interactions (draft meetings, for example) 
  • Current evaluation of alternative options
  • and more, I'm sure. 

He's started and finished 3 games, one of which was in a weather conditions you just have to throw out. He looked fine against the Texans in one of those two remaining starts. He hasn't looked the part of franchise QB, but he hasn't done enough to rule it out either. I'd take his lack of experience over the awfulness that other qbs showed that still got those kind of returns. 

I would have concerns that they are moving on from him now, even with Purdy in the fold. I said that in the Titans forum when they hired Carthon. If purdy was healthy, I'd have less of an issue with them moving him just because it makes sense. Purdy played well last year and moving on from Lance really has nothing to do with Trey himself. But the niners are just going to frame it as finding a "franchise QB" where they didn't expect it (and they didn't - when Jimmy got hurt, they tried to get Rivers and Ben to come out of retirement) as opposed to "giving up" on Lance. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

Lance is most valuable to a team with an older QB ready to be replaced in case Lance figures it out or a team with an unproven guy but not within reach of one of the top QBs in this class. He's not valuable to any team that has a shot at one of the top 3-5 QBs this year.

Teams I could see being interested in Lance: Patriots, Dolphins, Steelers, Ravens, Raiders, Titans, Colts, Washington, Vikings, Lions, Bucs, Rams

The houston part is pretty easy -  they have key people that have a lot of experience with him. If they make a move on him, that just tells me that they are big believers in the talent and what they saw is out of the scope of fans (so practices, meetings, etc). Ryans isn't going to get canned for taking a shot on Lance and missing, either. I think he's got a three year leash at least after Houston's last two years. The reports are that they are not all that in to the other QBs. If they don't like Levis or Richardson, and they are lukewarm on Stroud who is also repped by the guy who reps watson and Ramsey, maybe they are just out on that given that they aren't in love with Stroud. I could see his representation not mattering if they loved Stroud, but if you're meh on him, I could definitely see that being a factor that comes in to play. 

I didn't realize Houston had pick 65 and 73...I could see that being somewhat interesting to the 49ers as opposed to pick 33. That would get the 49ers pretty close to picks 40-45 if they were trading up, so I could see how that would work for them if they had another team willing to move down. 

That's not to say that the niners get anything close to what I've been saying I think that they will get. I'm just trying to find the logic for the niners of moving him for anything less than what I have been saying and I don't know what it could be. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, adamq said:

I think they are and should be perfectly comfortable with Darnold.. i think they will also draft a QB, that kid from UCLA would be a nice get

No one should be perfectly comfortable with Darnold. I don't care if you have the 1999 Rams out there to help him. I hope to not see him have to start more than 2 games next year. 

1 hour ago, Louis Friend said:

If I'm Brad Holmes, I'm calling and offering a 5th rd pick. Take it or leave it. 

Didn't Okudah just get a fifth? Similar thing contract wise except a QB is worth more positionally and Lance has one more year of that contract. I think 5th is at least two rounds short of competitive.

Just now, Trojan said:

Didn't Okudah just get a fifth? Similar thing contract wise except a QB is worth more positionally and Lance has one more year of that contract. I think 5th is at least two rounds short of competitive.

He did. That seems to be the going rate for injured former #3 overall picks still on their rookie contract. Like I said, for the Lions, I'd offer it up "take it or leave it". 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

The Broncos should be on this list.....

7 minutes ago, Trojan said:

I liked your 65 & 73 proposition in the draft forum. 

If they don't return at least that amount, it really just means that they wanted him off the team for whatever reason, which seems very odd because it's not like he's disliked or caused some sort of division or something. This team clearly hasn't been afraid of making their QB room noisy in the past either. So would really weird to me, all things considered, that they just want to move on and eat an additional 2 million while their starter is hurt. 

• Like 1

Just now, Louis Friend said:

He did. That seems to be the going rate for injured former #3 overall picks still on their rookie contract. Like I said, for the Lions, I'd offer it up "take it or leave it". 

So you don't value being a QB or having an additional cheap contract year at all? If you were GM you might as well not make that call, imo.

The injury difference of Okudah and Trey Lance is also massive. Trey broke and dislocated an ankle. Jeff Okudah had a grade 3 Achilles tear.

1 hour ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

No one should be perfectly comfortable with Darnold. I don't care if you have the 1999 Rams out there to help him. I hope to not see him have to start more than 2 games next year. 

He's not the same player that was a trainwreck in NY.. Darnold was average at worst in Carolina. In San Francisco average will be just fine until Purdy comes back