17 members have voted

1. 1. Happy with it?

• Pop Pop, 100%
    • Happy with it
    • Eh
    • Months for this?
    • Send Howie back to the closet

4 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

It’s definitely a difference of opinion on him. I never thought he was a top 10 guy, I actually didn’t think he was a first round guy but the spot we took him makes sense. 

Yeah I mean it doesn't surprise me you see him differently, cause that's basically what this draft was.

I feel like people's opinions were all over the place. More so than other years at least.

But, I can post people whose opinions I respect that have him even a bit higher than me like 2 Cowboys media guys who had him as their EDGE2.

Like I just saw this tweet by Nick who is a Steelers guy and a draft-a-holic.

If he ends up being a bust in a few years you can tell me "I told you so" ;), but hopefully that doesn't happen. 

23 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

It’s definitely a difference of opinion on him. I never thought he was a top 10 guy, I actually didn’t think he was a first round guy but the spot we took him makes sense. 

Was a top 15/16 guy to me, which at that point at 10 I’m fine if he’s the dude. Don’t get too cute with things.

another guy I follow who has him as EDGE2

NKc63Vd.png

Brett Kollman & EJ Snyder of Bootleg Football both with him as EDGE3 after guys that went top 7.

Broshmo who might be my favorite YouTube draft guy had him as EDGE5. 

adSuQDc.png

Dane Brugler had him as EDGE3 & just outside his top ten overall.

uXJb0lj.png

Daniel Jeremiah had him as EDGE3 and just outside his top ten overall.

Got bored and decided to look up where some others had him.  @Scalamania

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

Guy I knew and went to HS with and who is now coaching Outside Linebackers (Nolan Smith) at Georgia is right there in the background filming the moment off to the right of Nakobe. I still can’t believe he’s at Georgia coaching now, but I couldn’t be happier for him. Great charismatic dude that was always making people laugh. Nolan spoke highly of him in one of those interviews I posted. We take from Georgia so much that who knows maybe he ends up an Eagles coach someday lol. We did interview one of the top Georgia defensive assistants for Defensive Coordinator before going with Sean Desai, so you never know..

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

7 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Daniel Jeremiah had him as EDGE3 and just outside his top ten overall.

I don't hate the pick, but he is not the slam dunk everyone thinks he is at 30.

NFL Comparison
Samson Ebukam

Weaknesses
  • Slender through waist and hips, with a need for more mass.
  • Unable to generate speed-to-power conversion.
  • Rush plan can be monotonous and lacking counters.
  • Squared up punch from tackle can derail his pass rush.
  • Unable to control block and shed quickly.
  • Exerts excessive strain to battle tackles at the point of attack.
  • Very average pursuit speed for a smaller player.

“You worry about him holding up for 17 games with his size. I’m not worried about the toughness, but I just don’t know if he can carry more weight without it slowing him down.” -- National scout for NFC team

14 minutes ago, downundermike said:

I don't hate the pick, but he is not the slam dunk everyone thinks he is at 30.

NFL Comparison
Samson Ebukam

Weaknesses
  • Slender through waist and hips, with a need for more mass.
  • Unable to generate speed-to-power conversion.
  • Rush plan can be monotonous and lacking counters.
  • Squared up punch from tackle can derail his pass rush.
  • Unable to control block and shed quickly.
  • Exerts excessive strain to battle tackles at the point of attack.
  • Very average pursuit speed for a smaller player.

“You worry about him holding up for 17 games with his size. I’m not worried about the toughness, but I just don’t know if he can carry more weight without it slowing him down.” -- National scout for NFC team

I’ve seen his NFL.com draft profile before. I often don’t agree with Lance Zierlein on where he has guys ranked and this is one of those times. His draft rankings as a whole this year are a little off to me, but everyone sees this class different, so it is what it is.

1 minute ago, Broadway Joe said:

oh no, he hasn't played a snap yet and we are already with the "but he gets pressures though". 

Easy to get pressure when you play on the best defense in college football surrounded by future NFL starters.

Now he has to play against the best tackles every weekend.

Greg Cosell talked about the pick a bit last night and said what many of us kind of thought about Smith in that he thinks he can play some off the ball LB in the mold of the Micah Parsons role. He is a very good run defender and absolutely athletic enough to be put in space and be successful. 

Nolan Smith isn't going to be a guy you ask to put his hand in the dirt for 40 plays a game and expect him to takeover. At least not right away. I am just glad Gannon is out and Desai is in because I have hope we actually will put guys in a spot to succeed and do some unique things on defense. So tired of the line them up and play style of defense that works against bad teams but gets us killed vs good ones.

I'd like to see Smith and Dean on the field together as LB's. Dean was a great blitzer in college and I think a package with both of them as LB's could be very hard for offenses to protect against. Long term I would expect him in the Reddick role, but I hope we get a bit creative and find a way to get both of them on the field together this year and even more in 2024. 

20 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Easy to get pressure when you play on the best defense in college football surrounded by future NFL starters.

Now he has to play against the best tackles every weekend.

But isn't he now going to be surrounded by actual NFL Starters, Pro Bowlers, SB Champions?

Didn't he play against daily for a couple years the Steelers new LT? Play against the Cardinals new LT? The Bears new LT?

I would be more concerned if his NFL Comp didn't just have 17 sacks last season as a Eagle. There is no reason to think like Davis with Suh, LJ and Cox that Hassan, BG and Sweat won't mentor/teach Nolan everything they know. 

Doesn't guarantee him success but Smith will absolutely learn counter moves, leverage, hands placement and what's needed to play at that size, Reddick size when he was drafted.

45 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I’ve seen his NFL.com draft profile before. I often don’t agree with Lance Zierlein on where he has guys ranked and this is one of those times. His draft rankings as a whole this year are a little off to me, but everyone sees this class different, so it is what it is.

You can find any "expert" who is going to be low or high on just about any guy. I'm sure there's someone out there who had Levis as QB1.