🔥 Pick #7 is in: Tyree Wilson, DL, Texas Tech

RaidersAreOne

16 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

I know but I need to see improvement year to year

Do we? He was a top edge in terms of pressure rate and played the run relatively well. If you extend him now, there is a risk of overpay but considering his trajectory under AP this year, he might be priced out if we don't extend him soon. That is my worry. Hoping telesco and co use the extra cap this year to do that.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Dessie said:

Probably unlikely we resign Koonce I think he’s gonna think he will get a great offer in FA. 

If we let Koonce go, it will be a sign that we don't care about winning. You never let good young edge rushers walk ever.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

If we let Koonce go, it will be a sign that we don't care about winning. You never let good young edge rushers walk ever.

If Koonce plays as well as we hope he’s gonna command a top contract. Given we are already paying Wilkins & Maxx that would mean most of the cap space on the DL. Not sure we can afford that. 

It’s not that we would be letting him go just that we can’t afford to keep him. 

28 minutes ago, Dessie said:

If Koonce plays as well as we hope he’s gonna command a top contract. Given we are already paying Wilkins & Maxx that would mean most of the cap space on the DL. Not sure we can afford that. 

I think the point is to tie him up now for less, within a projection of him continuing to grow.

I’m a bit disappointed that we haven’t signed at least a couple of our soon to hit FA defensive players. As well as Koonce, an argument could be made for Moehrig, Hobbs and/or Spillane. And that’s leaving out Deablo, who I would wait and see on.

Would hate to have a proper defense for the first time in forever, only to see it decimated by core players leaving through FA

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, reddevil said:

I think the point is to tie him up now for less, within a projection of him continuing to grow.

I’m a bit disappointed that we haven’t signed at least a couple of our soon to hit FA defensive players. As well as Koonce, an argument could be made for Moehrig, Hobbs and/or Spillane. And that’s leaving out Deablo, who I would wait and see on.

Would hate to have a proper defense for the first time in forever, only to see it decimated by core players leaving through FA

Yeah I agree but I think Koonce might wanna see how it plays out this year. If he backs himself he’s gonna think he will get a better contract in FA. I’d be looking at Moehrig, Hobbs and Spillane at this point. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Tyree sucks bro bro, I saw it on film in the months leading up to the draft, sadly Ziegler didn't. I should probably be in an NFL front office.

This is a post in the Tyree Wilson draft thread from me immediately after we drafted him, with your reply in fact aswell 🙂

Posted April 28, 2023

On 4/28/2023 at 1:22 PM, Darbsk said:

I really hope this is the case man, that he can work around those issues. Taking a pass rusher with very slow get off and not great bend is risky. I have to be honest and I’m a little underwhelmed, I have a nagging doubt we’ve just done a Clelin Ferrel again but hoping it works out. 

Another thing concerns me is we possibly could have taken a great CB in 1 and a good pass rusher in 2 but we may have taken a good pass rusher in 1 and left ourselves with an average CB in 2 onwards……. Maybe that’s not what we’re doing but…….

I'm really not a fan of taking an edge that highly who as you said had questionable bend/burst and also didn't test at all before the draft. We saw how much guys were pushed up and down the board because of their testing numbers.

At that time it was obvious he had a pedestrian get-off, was not explosive or bendy, limited pass rush skills relying on athletic gifts and played way too high. I didn't like the pick and didn't even have him on my big board at all in that thread, I wouldn't have drafted him.

It's just strange to me that you had him as #2 on your big board then you say when you watched the film you realised his weaknesses and did a complete 180 it seems, it kind of implies you had him at #2 on your big board and were hyping him without actually watching the film? Probably not the case, but that's what it seems like.

What is frustrating to me is that he's now had around 18 months with the Raiders coaching staff (and a superb mentor to learn off in Crosby) and he seems to have exactly the same weaknesses as before. I know he was injured and all, but that's the time you can practice hand fighting, review film, take tips and things from the likes of Crosby - man the guy should be watching a tape of Crosby every night. Wilson literally does not have a single go-to move after 18 months, let alone a counter. If i was a trainer I'd tell him to forget about the gym, flexibility is what he needs, all that power is worth absolutely nothing if he's stiff as a board, high and slow off the line.

I remember training camp last year and some guys were fawning over a video of him hitting a sled apparently showing freakish power etc. etc. and I pointed out at the time that it was a totally useless drill and horrible technique as he was way too high, hips too tight and his lack of explosion that wouldn't work against an anchoring OT or OG. I specifically compared him to Crosby and how low and explosive he hit the sled - though with much less fanfare of course. Wilson used terrible technique then and he still does now after 18 months...........it's not looking good for him IMHO. The biggest disappointment for me is that he just seems to have not even developed a pass rush plan let alone a counter......that is inconceivable to me for a very highly paid professional in a professional organisation with top rate coaches for well over a year.

• Like 1

I think Tyree Wilson is going have Arik Armstead type of career. He started his career off slow but became a force. Maxx set the standard so high that people expect so much from an edge. Wilson won't be a 15 sack a year guy, but he will be physical against the run, get his 6-9 sacks, and be a part of the defense controlling the LOS

• Like 1

I believe i wanted Gonzalez, but I was ok with Tyree as i just wanted D bad lol. Realy hoping he can turn it around...
on the plus, if we took Gonzalez, maybe we dont claim Jack Jones... who I really believe can be a tremendous DB for us. 

lol, gotta find a positive some how. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Do we? He was a top edge in terms of pressure rate and played the run relatively well. If you extend him now, there is a risk of overpay but considering his trajectory under AP this year, he might be priced out if we don't extend him soon. That is my worry. Hoping telesco and co use the extra cap this year to do that.

If you underpay he’ll hold out in a year or two

8 hours ago, Dessie said:

I doubt that everybody knows Maxx is the one the offense is focused on.

On 4/27/2023 at 7:38 PM, NCOUGHMAN said:

Punching the air I hate our 1 round drafts 

I hope I’m wrong af but sheeesh at least get a completely healthy guy with great tape

Ahhhh 🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️ Come on tyree prove me wrong already sheesh 

• Like 2