1.13 - Lukas Van Ness [EDGE; Iowa]

CWood21

I think LVN's gonna disappoint those who were expecting an immediate impact player this season, but I don't think it's his fault.  Enagbare took a big step this season, Gary looks to be back in record time and Hollins is a dependable vet who can play, so I think more than anything there's just going to be less opportunities for him this season than you might expect.  He's more raw than I expected too, but frankly that's on me; didn't consider what a jump it is from college DE to pro OLB in terms of what you see/are expected to read and play off of.  There's a lot to think about in terms of body positioning (hands, feet, lean), defensive alignment + play call, offensive formation + tendencies, etc.  Think he'll get most if not all his snaps in the pressure package for now to cut a lot of that thinking out, but long term him and Gary are a scary combo in terms of size/speed/attitude to be staring down as an OT.

Edited by MrBobGray
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

I think LVN's gonna disappoint those who were expecting an immediate impact player this season, but I don't think it's his fault.  Enagbare took a big step this season, Gary looks to be back in record time and Hollins is a dependable vet who can play, so I think more than anything there's just going to be less opportunities for him this season than you might expect.  He's more raw than I expected too, but frankly that's on me; didn't consider what a jump it is from college DE to pro OLB in terms of what you see/are expected to read and play off of.  There's a lot to think about in terms of body positioning (hands, feet, lean), defensive alignment + play call, offensive formation + tendencies, etc.  Think he'll get most if not all his snaps in the pressure package for now to cut a lot of that thinking out, but long term him and Gary are a scary combo in terms of size/speed/attitude to be staring down as an OT.

I highly doubt they play Hollins over him. Mentality is different this year, it's about development for the young guys. In a prior year I would agree with you.

27 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

LOL.  No joke on this one at all.  This one I really mean.

I for one am disappointed in myself for having that much faith in LVN to be a year one playmaker.  I had built him up to be "Watt-like" in my mind.

And really, that's on me.

Here's what I do not like about him right now.  He's not playing fast.  There's no quick first step.  There is no real burst.  To me, it looks like he could be thinking too much.  And that has to be expected.  But I was hoping to see an elite trait right away.  

Here is what i do like.  I think I undervalue these great traits.  Hustle.  Length.  Power.  Because LVN has shown all of those, and I dare say, he's shown a few different moves, so he's gotta be taking to the coaching.

End of the day?  He's EDGE4.  He should get some snaps and I'll bet statistically, his first year will look better on paper than Gary's did.  I think it is just because LVN will hustle into more plays.  Long term?  I don't feel like LVN is ever going to have the scary speed to power or power to speed stuff that Gary has.  Or had.  But they should compliment each other well.

Edited by vegas492

25 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

End of the day?  He's EDGE4.  He should get some snaps and I'll bet statistically, his first year will look better on paper than Gary's did.  I think it is just because LVN will hustle into more plays.  Long term?  I don't feel like LVN is ever going to have the scary speed to power or power to speed stuff that Gary has.  Or had.  But they should compliment each other well.

If he isn't edge 2 or 3 by end of season, injury notwithstanding, that will actually be a major disappointment for a first round pick.

But camp success and preseason success and NFL regular season success are all wildly different.  Some guys hit 0.330 in the minors and 0.180 in the majors.  And some guys hit for power at 0.245 at all levels of play.  

All LVN has to do is the latter.  Enagbare could be a nice surprise, but he hasn't really shown it on the NFL regular season field.

Similar to Gary, the raw physical tools and surplus potential are there with LVN. Lots of development ahead for him both technique wise and also physically. I mean, he is only 22. Is it a stretch to think that in time--say by year three or four--he has the potential to become a Joey Bosa level talent? 

Just now, DWhitehurst said:

Similar to Gary, the raw physical tools and surplus potential are there with LVN. Lots of development ahead for him both technique wise and also physically. I mean, he is only 22. Is it a stretch to think that in time--say by year three or four--he has the potential to become a Joey Bosa level talent? 

Yeah of course that's a stretch.  Joey Bosa is incredible.

29 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

If he isn't edge 2 or 3 by end of season, injury notwithstanding, that will actually be a major disappointment for a first round pick.

But camp success and preseason success and NFL regular season success are all wildly different.  Some guys hit 0.330 in the minors and 0.180 in the majors.  And some guys hit for power at 0.245 at all levels of play.  

All LVN has to do is the latter.  Enagbare could be a nice surprise, but he hasn't really shown it on the NFL regular season field.

EDGE 1 and 2 are Gary and P. Smith. I'd be shocked if he's EDGE 2 by the end of the season. In fact, the second-year leap Enagbare seems to be making, I'd be shocked if he's EDGE 3. 

That doesn't make him 'a major disappointment,' it means he went into a stacked room. Gary was EDGE three his rookie year and his second year behind the Smiths. There was really nobody else. LVN is in a totally different situation from a talent standpoint ahead of him. 

Enagbare played really well when Gary went down so I don't agree with the last sentence either. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

P smith isn't very good, expect him to be a wild disappointment this year.

Enagbare is fine, he's a decent backup.  

LVN should surpass one or both by the end of the year.  He has an entire year to surpass them, I really don't see why he wouldn't.

You're underselling Enagbare. He's going to be our 2nd best pass rusher for awhile IMO. In fact, he's probably going to be our best pass rusher for the first quarter of the season until Gary gets his legs under himself again.

• Like 2

I'm underselling enagbare based on camp reports and the preseason?

Miss me with that fluff stuff.

He had some nice plays towards the tail end of last season.  I just don't see what makes him a long term player as a starting caliber player.

LVN has some learning to do for sure, but if Enagbare is holding up his playing time that says a lot more to me about LVN struggling than Enagbare playing well.

I agree with ski, Preston is old and kinda washed.  If VanNess isn't better than Preston and Hollins by late season, I'll be disappointed.  Sure, there's things to be learned, but you don't learn quickness with time.  If he isn't quick enough to be more disruptive than P and Hollins, I will be kinds disappointed. 

It would be fun to have a guy turn out to be special.   But, need quickness for that.  

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

EDGE 1 and 2 are Gary and P. Smith. I'd be shocked if he's EDGE 2 by the end of the season. In fact, the second-year leap Enagbare seems to be making, I'd be shocked if he's EDGE 3. 

That doesn't make him 'a major disappointment,' it means he went into a stacked room. Gary was EDGE three his rookie year and his second year behind the Smiths. There was really nobody else. LVN is in a totally different situation from a talent standpoint ahead of him. 

Enagbare played really well when Gary went down so I don't agree with the last sentence either. 

Gary was, looks it up, EDGE4 his rookie season.

How dare you forget about Kyler Fackrell.  You know, the guy who has had a 10 sack season in the NFL, unlike Gary.

Edited by vegas492
  • Like 1