1.13 - Lukas Van Ness [EDGE; Iowa]

CWood21

Raymond, how did he look in run defense?  

I'm curious whether he'll be used primarily in pressure packages, or will be used heavily in run-oriented packages?  Love him to great in both, for sure; but coaches might initially want to focus him in packages where he'll be most likely to be effective.  So I'm wondering what his rookie usage is more likely to be.  

9 minutes ago, craig said:

Raymond, how did he look in run defense?  

I'm curious whether he'll be used primarily in pressure packages, or will be used heavily in run-oriented packages?  Love him to great in both, for sure; but coaches might initially want to focus him in packages where he'll be most likely to be effective.  So I'm wondering what his rookie usage is more likely to be.  

Excellent edge setter, gets early position, benches out the OT/TE and keeps his eyes on the back to contain and force him upfield. Works down the line pretty well in outside zone and pursues hard when he's on the back side. Nothing really special on inside gap plays, stays blocked for the most part there, but that's really what 2 gapping is, they let the LBs hunt for the most part at Iowa.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Excellent edge setter, gets early position, benches out the OT/TE and keeps his eyes on the back to contain and force him upfield. Works down the line pretty well in outside zone and pursues hard when he's on the back side. Nothing really special on inside gap plays, stays blocked for the most part there, but that's really what 2 gapping is, they let the LBs hunt for the most part at Iowa.

That’s what I was hoping. Being an Iowa guy, you’d think they get their guys ready to play the run. 21 years old and he was doing some pretty advanced things in the highlights I saw. Mostly he was just physically dominating guys with a burst of power. That won’t be as easy at the next level but it made me laugh when some questioned his strength. He might not set any records on the bench but he can drive his legs and is strong enough to go through his target and should set an edge. 

3 minutes ago, Refugee said:

He might not set any records on the bench but he can drive his legs and is strong enough to go through his target and should set an edge. 

Was wondering about something last week. Why do they test guys with a bench press, but not with a leg press. For guys in the trenches, isn't lower body strength as important as upper?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

Was wondering about something last week. Why do they test guys with a bench press, but not with a leg press. For guys in the trenches, isn't lower body strength as important as upper?

I'm guessing really heavy lower body lifts are a big no-no for injury risk concerns in a competition setting like the combine.

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Bench press is also good to test endurance.  And I also think it shows that you do the extra gym work.  Like, if everyone at your position is doing 15 reps, and you only do 10, what is the reason? 

The endurance thing is a interesting point of view of it. I could see scouts looking at it like that too. But good thing gaining strength in the NFL is easier than other attributes 

6 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

I always assumed they were using broad jump and vert for that. Also, wins and losses against blockers have to do with technique…leverage…pad level… we’ll get that fixed.

• Like 2