2.42 - Luke Musgrave [TE; Oregon State]

CWood21

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

I see the appeal but for some reason think he's really raw. EASILY behind Kincaid and Mayer for me. Hope he ends up better, but he's probably no higher than 4th on my list. I have LaPorta ahead of him as well. 

Think LaPorta would have been their guy but he got plucked. Clearly they wanted one of the better athletes. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I see the appeal but for some reason think he's really raw. EASILY behind Kincaid and Mayer for me. Hope he ends up better, but he's probably no higher than 4th on my list. I have LaPorta ahead of him as well. 

Don't see him as being raw. He is a pretty good route runner. Biggest knock IMO is he didn't show much technique blocking but he does have the size to at least be a willing blocker when asked. I think that is where LaPorta will struggle the most. You can push LaPorta around your probably not doing that to Musgrave unless he just doesn't show the effort.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

Don't see him as being raw. He is a pretty good route runner. Biggest knock IMO is he didn't show much technique blocking but he does have the size to at least be a willing blocker when asked. I think that is where LaPorta will struggle the most. You can push LaPorta around your probably not doing that to Musgrave unless he just doesn't show the effort.

definitely suspect the 'raw' feel is simply due to his limited production/opportunities. So it feels like there's less to see comparatively. Definitely could be off on that gut feel.

5 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

definitely suspect the 'raw' feel is simply due to his limited production/opportunities. So it feels like there's less to see comparatively. Definitely could be off on that gut feel.

He led his team in both reception and yards through the first two games before the injury. IMO he comps a lot like LaPorta except hes got great size compared to LaPorta and where LaPorta I think just doesn't have the frame to ever be a positive blocker Musgrave should at least be able to do it if he puts in effort. LaPorta is going to cause a few sacks just from getting bowled over. 

Edited by Spartacus

2 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

He led his team in both reception and yards through the first two games before the injury. IMO he comps a lot like LaPorta except hes got great size compared to LaPorta and where LaPorta I think just doesn't have the frame to ever be a positive blocker Musgrave should at least be able to do it if he puts in effort. LaPorta is going to cause a few sacks just from getting bowled over. 

what was his injury?

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

what was his injury?

Knee injury. It wasn't a non-contact injury. I forget exactly what happened but he was rolled up on or got it caught awkwardly in a pile. He probably could have came back at the end of the year but was probably smarter to instead rehab for the draft. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spartacus said:

Knee injury. It wasn't a non-contact injury. I forget exactly what happened but he was rolled up on or got it caught awkwardly in a pile. He probably could have came back at the end of the year but was probably smarter to instead rehab for the draft. 

got it, wasn't aware he essentially missed the entire year (after a nice start though).

Could make this a big value pick if we're right about what he would have done.

18 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

His technique was "pick yourself up out of the dirt". I dont think ol buddy will ever be more than a speed bump vs EDGE dudes. But he gets after the small guys. 

Musgraves a good big slot pick, silky athlete. If the light comes on understanding NFL nuance, and it should with his lineage, he can be what Tonyan flashed for a second. Long ol arms and good hands. Should be able to get lots of balls.

59 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

That is the way they came off the board too. His athleticism is off the charts. Hurt most of last year too. He's #2 TE if he was healthy all year. 

56 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Think LaPorta would have been their guy but he got plucked. Clearly they wanted one of the better athletes. 

I think it was as drafted. Kincaid > LaPorta > Mayer. Sucks we missed out on the first tier but the kid could be good! Needed to upgrade TE and WR badly and we did both.