2.42 - Luke Musgrave [TE; Oregon State]

CWood21

6 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

He gets plenty of yards after the catch, but if he is even touched, he is down.  And usually the guy that catches him is a DB that is giving up probably 50-70 pounds.  I am a little older than most here, but do you remember Bubba Franks?  The guy was a hell of a blocker.  But somehow, this 6'6 265 guy could catch a 7 yard pass then get hit by a CB and pick up no more yards.  It was uncanny.  It makes no sense.  Musgrave is in a completely different category, speed wise, so I don't doubt that he will pick up more yardage simply because he runs further down field, and he separates well.  But there is not a player in the league that I don't think can't stop him dead in his tracks.

Funnily enough, the Lions drafted Brian Branch, the guy that never misses a tackle.  So at some point we will see the guy that never misses a tackle against the guy that never breaks a tackle.  

Sure I remember Bubba. Great name, when you’ve got a Bubba and. “Bag of Donuts” on your offense, you should be steam rolling teams. He was a solid RZ threat and I didn’t pay enough attention to blocking then but I assume at least got in the way with that frame. I also remember he couldn’t break tackles. It makes no sense at that size and I feel the same way here. Every single time, he gets dropped. Maybe as a kid it was beaten into him not to fumble so just secure the ball and go down?  I’m not sure but doesn’t seem like there will be a drastic change at this point vs. better competition. 

• Like 1

I feel like we got so much riding on this dude. If he’s good it kind of makes the draft and makes the season. Our offense has solid weapons with Watson, Doubs and a good TE but without the good TE, Watson and Doubs can’t carry it. The other 2 offensive guys we drafted seem like they won’t be big playmakers year 1. 

Probably my favorite pick so far.  Yes you wish he didn't have that injury last year but occasionally you have to take some home run swings if you want to hit some home run picks outside of the first round.  

It's been a long time since we had a TE that could threaten down the field like he has the potential to.  You can teach improved technique in a lot of areas but you cannot teach the physical tools he brings to the table. If we want to open up more opportunities underneath for guys like Reed and Watson you need someone who can threaten down the seam.

Really think he can thrive here

1 hour ago, Ragnarok said:

Hes an athlete playing TE with no clue how to block.

He also doesn't know how to use his hands to fend off tacklers.  I watched a few different highlight reels .. never once saw him break a tackle.  I like the height, weight & speed, but that inability to avoid or break a tackle stood out. 

54 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Its a bit exaggerated to say he has no clue how to block, its not like he's completely useless out there. Now does he need to get stronger to take on guys at the point of attack? Absolutely. 

This.  Oregon St is a run heavy offense so the foundation is there.  

2 hours ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Its a bit exaggerated to say he has no clue how to block, its not like he's completely useless out there. Now does he need to get stronger to take on guys at the point of attack? Absolutely. 

I would say if there is one knock on him that is legit he really does not block with any sort of consistent technique. He is an extremely raw run blocker but he has the build to be at least an average blocker if he puts work into that craft. I'm not worried about broken tackles. His agility will allow him to avoid tackles decently enough and his size should still allow him to take a small CB, LB, of safety for a ride. 

Calling him an athlete more than a TE is just a lazy take though. I assume it comes from his high RAS and non-premium pick he went with but he is an above average route runner at the very least and he is silky smooth in his routes for a TE. 

20 hours ago, Spartacus said:

I would say if there is one knock on him that is legit he really does not block with any sort of consistent technique. He is an extremely raw run blocker but he has the build to be at least an average blocker if he puts work into that craft. I'm not worried about broken tackles. His agility will allow him to avoid tackles decently enough and his size should still allow him to take a small CB, LB, of safety for a ride. 

Calling him an athlete more than a TE is just a lazy take though. I assume it comes from his high RAS and non-premium pick he went with but he is an above average route runner at the very least and he is silky smooth in his routes for a TE. 

Agreed. Part of why I was so high on him throughout the draft process is that while he may not have perfect technique already, he has the tools and the drive to get there. He has the mindset. It's not unreasonable to suggest he can become a plus blocker in time.

Throw in the fact that he's a mismatch as a receiver for just about anyone and he has "future star" written all over him.

• Like 1