2.42 - Luke Musgrave [TE; Oregon State]

CWood21

I like the route running.  I love the hands.  I hate that he gets zero yards after contact.  He reminds me of Bubba Franks, in that, he will catch the pass, and he will run, but the first guy is definitely bringing him down.  The next tackle he breaks will be his first.  I think he could be a good possession receiver, but he will have to already be beyond the yard to gain for it to be a first down.  It is amazing to me that someone that large is taken off of his feet so easily.

NFL scout to Packer Central: “That’s a tough pick. Dude hasn’t been very productive. But, he has the physical tools (size and speed). Gutey has a type.” Can he block? “No, and his hands are shaky. But he’s got ‘wow’ to him.”

Packers vice president of player personnel Jon-Eric Sullivan: Big, fast tight end. Excited about what he brings to the table in terms of speed, ability to stretch the field. Good kid, football background. He’s got a relative that’s the offensive coordinator at Cal. Comes from a football background, smart kid, wired right.

The Athletic’s Dane Brugler: An impressive size/speed athlete, Musgrave runs like a gazelle, and his lacrosse and skiing backgrounds translate to football with his core strength and hip fluidity as both a pass catcher and blocker. He blocks with outstanding body control and leverage to be a physical edge setter and engage defenders at the second and third levels.

Athlon: He's a big target with an elite combination of size, speed and athleticism, a matchup nightmare for opponents. He's a fluid mover who can break off routes and create separation, but he's most dangerous ripping up the seam, where linebackers can't run with him.

NFL.com’s Daniel Jeremiah: He is more of a home run hitter than an option-route player at this point in his development. He is consistent catching balls on his frame, but he struggles to reel in low passes when on the move. After the catch, he has the speed to pull away. He is a willing blocker and can effectively shield/wall off at the point of attack.

Pro Football Focus: It's a shame we saw only two games of Musgrave before an undisclosed knee injury cost him the rest of the 2022 season. The senior tight end was balling with 11 catches for 169 yards and a score over that span. He's the best athlete at the position in the class, boasting the kind of speed and agility to separate from defensive backs.

Sports Info Solutions: Musgrave projects as a starting Y-TE at the next level in a system that allows him to be an inline blocker and run a varied route tree. He can make catches underneath or use his speed to stretch the defense. His blocking is just sufficient at the moment, but he has the traits to develop in that area.

Sports Info Solutions scout Nathan Cooper: He’s tough [to assess because he played in only two games in 2022]. The first thing you see with him is he’s super-long, athletic. He’s a receiving mismatch. You’re going to come in right away and look to him to be a mismatch on a lot of linebackers. Obviously, has the size on a lot of safeties, as well. He needs a lot of work in the blocking game, he needs to get stronger. He’s super-resilient. If he misses a block, he’ll come back and get it done the next time. So, he has that competitiveness, he has that willingness, so it'll eventually come for him.

Greg Cosell, The 33rd Team: Musgrave is one of the best TE prospects in the 2023 draft class primarily due to his ability as a receiver, although his extensive experience as an attached blocker in the run game - while improvement is needed - positions him well to be a complete multi-dimensional player at the next level. … NFL teams will feature Musgrave detached in space and in motion, where he can get free access off the LOS playing to his strengths as a receiver, but he can be attached, which allows him to be a factor in the shot play vertical passing game where his route running speed can be used.

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/scouting-opinions-of-packers-second-round-pick-luke-musgrave

Edited by incognito_man
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I like the route running.  I love the hands.  I hate that he gets zero yards after contact.  He reminds me of Bubba Franks, in that, he will catch the pass, and he will run, but the first guy is definitely bringing him down.  The next tackle he breaks will be his first.  I think he could be a good possession receiver, but he will have to already be beyond the yard to gain for it to be a first down.  It is amazing to me that someone that large is taken off of his feet so easily.

Difficult to watch his “inches after the catch” in his highlights. At least he got open enough to make he catch but you’d hope TE would be a bruiser on contact. Big body WR until proven otherwise. Not necessarily a bad thing but NFL will not be kind to you if you don’t seek and fight through contact. 

4 hours ago, umphrey said:

Why did they show no film on him

Because he has very little film.  He's an elite athlete but doesn't know how to play TE, block, or really do anything very well besides be injured all the time.

This is the type of pick that looks good on paper but very rarely actually pans out.

• Like 1

Just now, Refugee said:

Difficult to watch his “inches after the catch” in his highlights. At least he got open enough to make he catch but you’d hope TE would be a bruiser on contact. Big body WR until proven otherwise. Not necessarily a bad thing but NFL will not be kind to you if you don’t seek and fight through contact. 

He gets plenty of yards after the catch, but if he is even touched, he is down.  And usually the guy that catches him is a DB that is giving up probably 50-70 pounds.  I am a little older than most here, but do you remember Bubba Franks?  The guy was a hell of a blocker.  But somehow, this 6'6 265 guy could catch a 7 yard pass then get hit by a CB and pick up no more yards.  It was uncanny.  It makes no sense.  Musgrave is in a completely different category, speed wise, so I don't doubt that he will pick up more yardage simply because he runs further down field, and he separates well.  But there is not a player in the league that I don't think can't stop him dead in his tracks.

Funnily enough, the Lions drafted Brian Branch, the guy that never misses a tackle.  So at some point we will see the guy that never misses a tackle against the guy that never breaks a tackle.  

lol "besides be injured all the time"

https://osubeavers.com/sports/football/roster/luke-musgrave/9218

• Played in all 12 games

• Played in all seven games

• Played in all 13 games

Got hurt in his final season on a freak injury and now he's "injured all the time." Tell me more about what you don't know. No wonder you solely post in NFL Gen lol.

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 10

NFL scout to Packer Central: “That’s a tough pick. Dude hasn’t been very productive. But, he has the physical tools (size and speed). Gutey has a type.” Can he block? “No, and his hands are shaky. But he’s got ‘wow’ to him.”

Not the most glowing review. 

4 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I see the appeal but for some reason think he's really raw. EASILY behind Kincaid and Mayer for me. Hope he ends up better, but he's probably no higher than 4th on my list. I have LaPorta ahead of him as well. 

Definitely an "opportunity cost" type pick, but one we needed, and one that I do actually believe was probably one of the highest guys left on the board at that pick.

Edited by HyponGrey

Honestly not feeling it with Musgrave. Despite his athletic measurables his tape does not make me go wow whatsoever.

His catch radius is ok but could be alot better.

His speed is ok

His YAC is mediocre, in fact he falls down far too easily after contact. I've seen other TE who seem to have that wiggle to remain on their feet. Balance is an issue with him.

His physicality remains a question mark.

What I did not like was his lack of enthusiasm. He's meh and chucks the ball away. I watch so many highlights and see so many passionate responses from players for making a play, his highlights was a stark contrast and instantly noticeable.

I find it hard to believe the Packers had him rated this highly but after seeing Kincaid, Mayer and LaPorta all taken they were probably feeling the pressure to take one.  Hopefully he will be able to put it all together and become a dominant TE that his traits and numbers suggests he can be.

Edited by Chili

Waldman comped him to Martellus Bennet:

The Elevator Pitch: Musgrave has the prototypical height and build to become a skilled in-line blocker who can release into the opponent’s zone and get open up the seam or on intermediate over routes. He has a wide catch radius and when the ball is on him, he can be a reliable playmaker against tight coverage and contact.  Although known as a speedy receiver, I’m more impressed with his potential at the line of scrimmage. He’s quick and accurate with earning position, he can punch with sound technique, and he’s well-versed in enough blocks that he should develop into a reliable inline option.  

This could be the best facet of his game. However, most reading this are hoping Musgrave becomes a productive fantasy option. Still, if the expectation is a low-end TE1 in leagues with 12-16 teams, I’m optimistic it can happen. Musgrave can win in the middle of the field and get deep with the help of play-action or misdirection.  He has the speed to beat linebackers up the seam, but if he’s going to become an elite producer in an NFL passing game, Musgrave must develop route setups and breaks that can defeat man-to-man coverage from safeties and corners. Right now, that’s far away— Musgrave has some bend with hard breaks but not enough to count on. His route setups are minimal and require more nuance.  After the catch, Musgrave is a straight-line runner who lacks a lot of tackle-breaking skills. He lacks the short-area footwork and balance to be dynamic in traffic.  Musgrave is absolutely a potential starter in the league, but his receiving upside isn’t as strong as his speed may lead some to believe. Think of his passing-game upside as good, but not great.  

5 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

Because he has very little film.  He's an elite athlete but doesn't know how to play TE, block, or really do anything very well besides be injured all the time.

This is the type of pick that looks good on paper but very rarely actually pans out.

This is just wrong on about every level besides technique when blocking.