5.149 - Sean Clifford [QB; Penn State]

CWood21

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

He really wasn't.  If TCU would have gone 6-6 this past season, we'd be talking about him bagging groceries at the local convinience store.

okay, agree to disagree. he is a better prospect than Clifford imo 

2 minutes ago, persiandud said:

okay, agree to disagree. he is a better prospect than Clifford imo 

That's like being the tallest midget.  They're both mediocre QBs.  The only difference is that Max Duggan had some team success in college.  Clifford didn't.

Just now, CWood21 said:

That's like being the tallest midget.  They're both mediocre QBs.  The only difference is that Max Duggan had some team success in college.  Clifford didn't.

Clifford is awful. never should have been drafted. this is one of Gutey's worst ever draft picks

• Like 1

1 minute ago, persiandud said:

Clifford is awful. never should have been drafted. this is one of Gutey's worst ever draft picks

It's a 5th round pick.  Don't be dramatic.  After about the ~4th round, you're starting to dig into your priority UDFA grades.  The Packers needed to add a QB to the room, and 2 more QBs went within 10 picks before their own pick.

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

It's a 5th round pick.  Don't be dramatic.  After about the ~4th round, you're starting to dig into your priority UDFA grades.  The Packers needed to add a QB to the room, and 2 more QBs went within 10 picks before their own pick.

i really like the draft overall, this pick was baffling. but yea, a 5th round pick doesn't bring down what i thought was a solid draft 

Don't think I've ever seen a more universally hated draft pick.  Well maybe one other pick that was hated.  Aaron Rodgers.  I mean draftniks forums everywhere.  Remember the venom fans were spewing toward Rodgers?  This dude was a 5th round pick and he's getting just as much hatred.  My god.  

Anyway I'm buying his jersey and will display it proudly.  Would love nothing more than for this kid to ball out and prove all the doubters which is just about everybody wrong.  

Just give the kid a chance before condemning him all I'm saying.  

33 minutes ago, persiandud said:

i disagree, Duggan was draftable. 

Yes, he was draftable because he was drafted. Now was he draftable in the Packers eyes and according to Andy Herman he said that Gutes stated that Clifford was the last draftable QB on their board. So that would make Duggan a player the Packers would not have drafted. Not draftable for the Packers for whatever reason. 

There were 5 QB's taken between picks 127-140 and I think it is safe to say a few of those were players the Packers probably had eyeballed for a backup QB spot, but that run likely forced the hand Gutes was playing and caused him to take Clifford earlier than he would have liked to. Sh*t happens, not the end of the world. 

I will be honest and say I know very little about Clifford, but is it possible that this is one that the media was asleep on? Just looking at numbers, his red zone passing grade of 90.4 was 7 points higher than any other QB in the country. He also topped all FBS QB's in the red zone with an adjusted completion percentage of 91.4% and passer rating of 132.9%. Takes a pretty heady player to be that efficient in the most important area on the field. Kind of sounds like a guy that would make a good backup QB. 

24 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Don't think I've ever seen a more universally hated draft pick.  Well maybe one other pick that was hated.  Aaron Rodgers.  I mean draftniks forums everywhere.  Remember the venom fans were spewing toward Rodgers?  This dude was a 5th round pick and he's getting just as much hatred.  My god.  

Anyway I'm buying his jersey and will display it proudly.  Would love nothing more than for this kid to ball out and prove all the doubters which is just about everybody wrong.  

Just give the kid a chance before condemning him all I'm saying.  

I was ecstatic when we drafted Aaron Rodgers lol 

2 minutes ago, Green19 said:

People in packers Twitter have the feeling this is a LaFluer pick and that it’s his guy. Given the pre-draft meeting etc.

will be interesting if true.

Would that be a bad thing?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, persiandud said:

some of you haven't seen Penn State games and it shows 

Maybe your team just sucked.  He's going to the Packers the kid by all accounts is intelligent, a leader, and a gamer.  Why was Levis unable to beat him out?  Clements will work with him he's going to a good spot to develop his skills in GB.  We are just looking for a competent backup QB.  If he's that it's a win.  He's a 5th round pick.  If he busts no great shakes.  It's not like we burned premium draft capital on him.  You know like the Jets burning the 3rd overall on Wilson...

30 minutes ago, Green19 said:

People in packers Twitter have the feeling this is a LaFluer pick and that it’s his guy. Given the pre-draft meeting etc.

will be interesting if true.

Well watching his reaction in the war room when the kid was picked I'd say that's a pretty safe assumption.  MFL wanted this kid.  People seem to forget we are looking for traits when drafting.  It's not always about what they did in college.  Projection plays a big part.  Musgrave is a perfect example.