5.149 - Sean Clifford [QB; Penn State]

CWood21

48 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Sure… and again I understand the thought. But honest question, is Matt going to teach Jordan something Aaron, Matt, Hackett, Steno, Tom, etc hasn’t? Yeah he might have a different view on the offense etc etc. but than why not get an assistant QB coach for that… if we are looking for voices and opinions? He can get a consultant, which Love has and is currently working with in Cali.

Plus my thinking is if I was in Love spot… 2 things: 1. I waited 3 years to be the guy, I want my opinions heard and followed because if I’m going to flame out I want it on my terms and 2. Being in the league 3 years, I likely have my boys that I talk to about offense and Qbing… I don’t need another one forced on me.

I just think it’s diminishing returns on that roster spot. Like unless someone like Clifford is just so poor in practice that it’s keeping LaFleur from running a clean practice and getting good reps for other players then sure. But I doubt Clifford is THAT BAD. I mean I know people hate the pick haha.

There’s gotta be value in having an experienced ‘good voice’ backup . Mahomes went from Henne to now Gabbert . 

Brady has had Hoyer a bunch . 

I think the relationship between two players and players and coaches is probably a bit different . 

1 hour ago, Rainmaker90 said:

There’s gotta be value in having an experienced ‘good voice’ backup . Mahomes went from Henne to now Gabbert . 

Brady has had Hoyer a bunch . 

I think the relationship between two players and players and coaches is probably a bit different . 

For sure… do you think Danny Etling does this already? He is 28, been with like 6 teams I believe. Is a veteran by all metrics, just hasn’t been a starter for teams.

Or like Hoyer, Henne and Gabbert, a veteran QB backup needs to be some guy that was the dude at one point for his team… to be valuable? So like the Etling, Boyle, etc etc don’t fit what you are looking for?

On 5/10/2023 at 12:09 PM, St Vince said:

Damn, he sounds amazing when you have a 25 minute video of him where you never actually show the player once.

I am converted!!11!!11!!!!!111!!!

Edited by Norm

40 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Joe Burrow lost out to Dwayne Haskins, Justin Fields lost out to Jake Fromm. 

Doesn't mean much.

Your point may be accurate but Idk if the Justin Feilds example is a great one, as he sucks as an NFL QB

Edited by Arthur Penske
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

I don't watch much PSU football. If he sucks so much how did he beat out Levis or whatever?

Young Clifford was more polished than young Levis. Based on the couple games per year I saw Penn State, he just never seemed to get a ton better. He doesn’t really have the physical upside of the projection guys and seems a tier below the Purdy, Matt Flynn types as far as college play.

The guy whose career he reminded me of was Brooks Bollinger at Wisconsin, the guy who won a lot of games in the Big Ten but never really inspired a ton of confidence with his passing. And hey, I guess Bollinger had a 5+ year NFL career.

I have no problem with Clifford being at the top of their QB board at the time. The position was really picked over (thanks Brock). I just can’t see him as a value pick in the 5th.

7 minutes ago, Deps said:

Young Clifford was more polished than young Levis. Based on the couple games per year I saw Penn State, he just never seemed to get a ton better. He doesn’t really have the physical upside of the projection guys and seems a tier below the Purdy, Matt Flynn types as far as college play.

Final years in college.

Matt Flynn: 202-359, 56.3% completion percentage, 2407 passing yards, 6.7 YPA, 21 passing TD, 11 INT
Sean Clifford: 226-351, 64.4% completion percentage, 2822 passing yards, 8.0 YPA, 24 passing TD, 7 INT

Clifford was statistically better than Flynn was in his final year.