5.149 - Sean Clifford [QB; Penn State]

CWood21

12 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

But you never indicated any of that legwork. You just made statements.

"Clifford probably got the edge being a smarter QB playing tougher defenses on a weekly basis than Duggan while being a 4 year starter and not a pop-up guy"

this is what you deem as legwork? alright man. 

24 minutes ago, persiandud said:

"Clifford probably got the edge being a smarter QB playing tougher defenses on a weekly basis than Duggan while being a 4 year starter and not a pop-up guy"

this is what you deem as legwork? alright man. 

That was days after you claimed that Duggan was draftable and Clifford wasn't. You need to tell us why. Not me.

5 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

That was days after you claimed that Duggan was draftable and Clifford wasn't. You need to tell us why. Not me.

just my opinion, based on watching them play 

they both ended up being drafted, which reinforces the fact that us fans know next to nothing 

8 hours ago, persiandud said:

i'm honestly shocked at the amount of pushback in this forum to saying Sean Clifford is bad lol

Just about every poster in this thread think Clifford is bad.  You are saying the Duggan has more upside and was a draftable and better option but haven't said why.

What qualities, tools, attributes lead to that statement?

Edited by squire12
  • Like 1

I think anyone paying attention could enumerate the defensible reasons the team had for drafting Clifford. And I suspect the team had a sliver of intuition that Clifford, in a one chance in twenty kind of way, could surpass hopes for simply being a “quality backup”.

I get the sense much of the hate heard here is just goofing on him, and any evidence of his actual merits will be twisted into comedy for the foreseeable future.

1 hour ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Why do we think they drafted Clifford over signing a vet (which I think likely they won’t ) ? Cap reasons?

Why does drafting Clifford prevent Green Bay from signing a veteran QB?

2 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Why do we think they drafted Clifford over signing a vet (which I think likely they won’t ) ? Cap reasons?

Cap reasons… Jordan also has had an all timer vet for the last 3 years. Plus he has Tom.

I think the only reason you have a veteran QB backup is because you believe you are a playoff team and/or a super bowl threat. I get teams starting true freshmen rookies at the position and why they bring in a vet, as another pair of eyes in the room.

But I think that’s a waste. When you have a young, unproven guy starting… have another one or two on the roster. All you need to insure is that there is a clear hierarchy to start. If the top guy fails… all bets are off.

Ala what the 49ers are doing… or how GB has operated in the draft. Shotgun this problem. Draft and bring in as many young guys as you can. One is bound to stick.

So I believe that’s why Clifford is here over a veteran. He, like Jordan, is an unknown. So if Jordan gets injured… Clifford could be terrible (and does that really hurt us? At that point we just get a better pick), or he is Prudy 2.0 and we might have our QB.

So it’s better to have unknowns until you have your guy… is what I think the thinking is.

Edited by Green19
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Cap reasons… Jordan also has had an all timer vet for the last 3 years. Plus he has Tom.

I think the only reason you have a veteran QB backup is because you believe you are a playoff team and/or a super bowl threat. I get teams starting true freshmen rookies at the position and why they bring in a vet, as another pair of eyes in the room.

But I think that’s a waste. When you have a young, unproven guy starting… have another one or two on the roster. All you need to insure is that there is a clear hierarchy to start. If the top guy fails… all bets are off.

Ala what the 49ers are doing… or how GB has operated in the draft. Shotgun this problem. Draft and bring in as many young guys as you can. One is bound to stick.

So I believe that’s why Clifford is here over a veteran. He, like Jordan, is an unknown. So is Jordan gets injured… Clifford could be terrible (and does that really hurt us? At that point we just get a better pick), or he is Prudy 2.0 and we might have our QB.

So it’s better to have unknowns until you have your guy… is what I think the thinking is.

Interesting way of thinking about it . I think I’d still rather have a Matt Ryan or another QB who has been in the league for awhile . Different voice than Aaron . 

Edited by Rainmaker90

44 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Interesting way of thinking about it . I think I’d still rather have a Matt Ryan or another QB who has been in the league for awhile . Different voice than Aaron . 

Sure… and again I understand the thought. But honest question, is Matt going to teach Jordan something Aaron, Matt, Hackett, Steno, Tom, etc hasn’t? Yeah he might have a different view on the offense etc etc. but than why not get an assistant QB coach for that… if we are looking for voices and opinions? He can get a consultant, which Love has and is currently working with in Cali.

Plus my thinking is if I was in Love spot… 2 things: 1. I waited 3 years to be the guy, I want my opinions heard and followed because if I’m going to flame out I want it on my terms and 2. Being in the league 3 years, I likely have my boys that I talk to about offense and Qbing… I don’t need another one forced on me.

I just think it’s diminishing returns on that roster spot. Like unless someone like Clifford is just so poor in practice that it’s keeping LaFleur from running a clean practice and getting good reps for other players then sure. But I doubt Clifford is THAT BAD. I mean I know people hate the pick haha.

Edited by Green19