5.149 - Sean Clifford [QB; Penn State]

CWood21

On 5/12/2023 at 12:30 PM, Scoremore said:

Didn't think he was that bad watching him.  But I like it.  Let's hope he continues the suckage.  Shifty little bastard back there tho.  He'll be better in Year 2.  Dude was running for his life last year.  

I didn't realise his stats were that bad.

Had him in fantasy football last year initially as a one-week bye cover but kept him so watched him a fair bit. He's insanely exciting to watch.  Pretty sure if he was a Packer instead of Love, we would be hyping him up to extremes.  

If he still can't pass properly after 2 years then hopefully its not going to happen for him but not going to lie, would much prefer they had a middle of the road QB. 

• 4 weeks later...

https://wisportsheroics.com/green-bay-packers-jordan-love-sean-clifford-2-minute-drill/?fbclid=IwAR0-fTy7TaP6QBnNzQ-NjMjSFacd3dKjcqDevAW_215kh7HlGEpCrK1OpDU

Old Cliff notes lighting it up.  With all the bashing of the pick watch this kid turn into a player.  Yah yah I know it's early.  But still he's looked pretty good so far.  Keeps it up he might beat out Etling for the back up gig. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scoremore said:

https://wisportsheroics.com/green-bay-packers-jordan-love-sean-clifford-2-minute-drill/?fbclid=IwAR0-fTy7TaP6QBnNzQ-NjMjSFacd3dKjcqDevAW_215kh7HlGEpCrK1OpDU

Old Cliff notes lighting it up.  With all the bashing of the pick watch this kid turn into a player.  Yah yah I know it's early.  But still he's looked pretty good so far.  Keeps it up he might beat out Etling for the back up gig. 

Interesting to read the temperature on Love across the internet right now. We seem to be the only place particularly high on him. 

Reminds me of when we traded Favre and Rodgers was near universally panned aside from here.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Scoremore said:

The exchange between MLF and Bill Huber at the start of MLF's press conference was a little awkward yesterday concerning Clifford. 

10 hours ago, Sandy said:

Interesting to read the temperature on Love across the internet right now. We seem to be the only place particularly high on him. 

Reminds me of when we traded Favre and Rodgers was near universally panned aside from here.

I was a lot higher on Rodgers than I am on Love.  Perhaps it was more exposure to Rodgers.  But my feel for Love is that he has some of that Jay Cutler to him that I don't know if it is a processing error, or supreme confidence in his arm, but he seems to turn the ball over.  I keep going back to the Saints game where Love played mop up duty, a couple of years ago.  He ran the offense, it looked pretty good, they move down the field, and he turns it over in the red zone.  Hopefully it is just a small sample size, but that is my main concern right now.  

Now, regarding Clifford.  He is putting up pretty impressive showings in practice so far.  If he is as smart as is being reported, and he is reasonably accurate as camp suggests, I think we may have found a suitable back-up.  More importantly, in my eyes, is that he seems to have built an early connection with Malik Heath so far, and that alone could make preseason worth something.  I recall a couple of seasons where our back-up QBs or OL were so bad that we didn't get any kind of evaluation from preseason games on RBs or WRs.  I think the line will be pretty good, perhaps the QB will be as well.  It isn't live bullets, yet.  But it is better than him stinking in practice.

39 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I was a lot higher on Rodgers than I am on Love.  Perhaps it was more exposure to Rodgers.  But my feel for Love is that he has some of that Jay Cutler to him that I don't know if it is a processing error, or supreme confidence in his arm, but he seems to turn the ball over.  I keep going back to the Saints game where Love played mop up duty, a couple of years ago.  He ran the offense, it looked pretty good, they move down the field, and he turns it over in the red zone.  Hopefully it is just a small sample size, but that is my main concern right now.  

Now, regarding Clifford.  He is putting up pretty impressive showings in practice so far.  If he is as smart as is being reported, and he is reasonably accurate as camp suggests, I think we may have found a suitable back-up.  More importantly, in my eyes, is that he seems to have built an early connection with Malik Heath so far, and that alone could make preseason worth something.  I recall a couple of seasons where our back-up QBs or OL were so bad that we didn't get any kind of evaluation from preseason games on RBs or WRs.  I think the line will be pretty good, perhaps the QB will be as well.  It isn't live bullets, yet.  But it is better than him stinking in practice.

is this something though that allot of rooks do, it mean even AR had higher int numbers earlier in his career. It's quite common until they learn the game and it slows down. I anticipate a few of those dam why did i throw that one int's this year. Cutler, nope that guy had nothing between the ears.....Love we'll see. 

2 hours ago, R T said:

The exchange between MLF and Bill Huber at the start of MLF's press conference was a little awkward yesterday concerning Clifford. 

Just watched the presser.  Huber "He's not the most talented ever but sure has a grasp on how to play".  Think MLF's reaction was to "He's not the most talented".   Seems MLF is a little miffed at the negative reactions to the kid also.  It's still early have no clue if the kid is going to be any good or not.  But don't think anyone should be bagging on him before he gets a chance.  Packers drafted him for a reason.