5.149 - Sean Clifford [QB; Penn State]

CWood21

34 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

That's how I feel for right now.  

But I also feel this way....this team is bigger, faster and stronger than past teams.  Those end of the roster WR's have some talent to them and Clifford wasn't afraid to give them chances.  

Isn't it a little early to say that Heath and Melton are better than the one and only Darrius Shepherd?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

Isn't it a little early to say that Heath and Melton are better than the one and only Darrius Shepherd?

I don't think Melton is making the team.

Heath is the one competing with Wicks to see if we will keep 6.  Every time I see Heath, I get more and more impressed.

As much as I'm a fan of Wicks, I feel like Heath is a tick better right now.  

On 8/14/2023 at 11:30 AM, vegas492 said:

We really do wear Green and Gold goggles around here.  One pre-season game against guy who will likely be doing something else in September.  Staring down receivers.  Taking chances.  And getting picked twice.

He's not hot garbage like I thought...but if we have to play him, we are, uh, up sheet crick without a paddle.  

This feels way too harsh, but I do agree with the major sentiment that if the Packers have to play Clifford this year, they're in a lot of trouble; that's the case for basically every rookie QB though.  Clifford had a hell of a game from a developmental QB perspective; that throw to Toure rolling left was a legit 'wow' moment if I've ever seen one.  Committed to what he saw even after the two picks and made a number of tight window throws because of it.  You're never going to be perfect in the NFL, and I love a young guy who's going to keep taking shots even after some struggles.

13 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

This feels way too harsh, but I do agree with the major sentiment that if the Packers have to play Clifford this year, they're in a lot of trouble; that's the case for basically every rookie QB though.  Clifford had a hell of a game from a developmental QB perspective; that throw to Toure rolling left was a legit 'wow' moment if I've ever seen one.  Committed to what he saw even after the two picks and made a number of tight window throws because of it.  You're never going to be perfect in the NFL, and I love a young guy who's going to keep taking shots even after some struggles.

Legit question....

Did Clifford look that good to you, because he really was that good?

Or did he look that good to you because what we've trotted out for pre-season games has been just that bad?  Such as UDFA's and journeymen UDFA QB's?

I have a hunch it is a little bit of both.  I also know that NFL quarterbacks do not get away with staring down WR's for seconds, then throwing into tight windows over and over again.

I'm impressed with his moxie.  I'm impressed that he seems to have a short memory.  I like the athleticism in the legs.  I'm also not going to get carried away because he looks good compared to the awful pre-season QB's we've seen after Love exits the past few years.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Legit question....

Did Clifford look that good to you, because he really was that good?

Or did he look that good to you because what we've trotted out for pre-season games has been just that bad?  Such as UDFA's and journeymen UDFA QB's?

I have a hunch it is a little bit of both.  I also know that NFL quarterbacks do not get away with staring down WR's for seconds, then throwing into tight windows over and over again.

I'm impressed with his moxie.  I'm impressed that he seems to have a short memory.  I like the athleticism in the legs.  I'm also not going to get carried away because he looks good compared to the awful pre-season QB's we've seen after Love exits the past few years.

Yeah, I'm quoting myself, because I want to expand on this a touch.

I'm not impressed with Clifford after this game, for the reasons above.  I am optimistic, though.

I just want to see it again in the pre-season.  I ain't "sold" yet, but we are moving down that path.

On 8/15/2023 at 12:19 PM, MrBobGray said:

Like what I saw from Clifford so far, but he still has a ways to go.  These were the first steps of a marathon.  We'll see if he progresses with his opportunities.

Love as I've said is a middle of the pack QB.  You gotta hit the layups and while he shows good command of the offense, dink and dunk will only get you so far.  3 years in, its time to take the training wheels off, and see if he can consistently hit the downfield throws.  

Clifford keeps rolling.  I thought this was a better game from him than week one.

Didn't stare down guys as much.  I think he only pitched into a tight window with 3 defenders in the area once.  And his WR (I forget his name) made a great catch.

So, I'll admit it now.  Clifford is fine.  Not garbage.  He can be the backup.

19 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Clifford keeps rolling.  I thought this was a better game from him than week one.

Didn't stare down guys as much.  I think he only pitched into a tight window with 3 defenders in the area once.  And his WR (I forget his name) made a great catch.

So, I'll admit it now.  Clifford is fine.  Not garbage.  He can be the backup.

It was Heath on the catch you're talking about. Sometimes a backup QB will develop a rapport with a backup WR since they're often on the field at the same time. I think that's happened with these two. 

38 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

It was Heath on the catch you're talking about. Sometimes a backup QB will develop a rapport with a backup WR since they're often on the field at the same time. I think that's happened with these two. 

I like Heath.

I'd like Clifford better if he would stop these super risky throws.  At least he did not throw as many like that one in this past game.  To me, he's getting better.  And I don't mind having a gunslinger attitude as a backup.

11 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I like Heath.

I'd like Clifford better if he would stop these super risky throws.  At least he did not throw as many like that one in this past game.  To me, he's getting better.  And I don't mind having a gunslinger attitude as a backup.

Hes got a little Favre in him.   You know somethings going to happen, you just don't know if it's good or bad. He's fun to watch.

LaFleur basically said Clifford is definitely our #2 QB this year.  They are very happy with him and it shows that the draft industrial complex is basically full of it quite often. 

I'm not sure I've ever seen a guy more ridiculed by the talking head draftniks out there. I've been guilty of it as well. I had this guy written off after listening to a podcast from those clowns at PFF after a single practice against the Bengals.  They said he looked terrible and that the Packers need to make a move to get a veteran backup.  I bought into that, but then the real preseason game hit and he showed that there is something there.  

Now he's shown that he's going to need to continue to make better decisions, but he has the smarts and moxie to possibly fill a backup role for years to come.  He's a pretty good fit for LaFleur's system. I need to quit buying into what these "experts" say. 

1 minute ago, {Family Ghost} said:

LaFleur basically said Clifford is definitely our #2 QB this year.  They are very happy with him and it shows that the draft industrial complex is basically full of it quite often. 

I'm not sure I've ever seen a guy more ridiculed by the talking head draftniks out there. I've been guilty of it as well. I had this guy written off after listening to a podcast from those clowns at PFF after a single practice against the Bengals.  They said he looked terrible and that the Packers need to make a move to get a veteran backup.  I bought into that, but then the real preseason game hit and he showed that there is something there.  

Now he's shown that he's going to need to continue to make better decisions, but he has the smarts and moxie to possibly fill a backup role for years to come.  He's a pretty good fit for LaFleur's system. I need to quit buying into what these "experts" say. 

Buy into what I say. I'm collecting followers for my cult.

• Like 1