5.149 - Sean Clifford [QB; Penn State]

CWood21

3 hours ago, Kepler said:

The only thing I hope is that Clifford develops enough to get a 3rd or something from somebody. Other than that I'm probably not gonna think about him that much. 

If he can just be Matt Flynn four seasons it’s a home run pick by Gute.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Mox said:

Talk about jumping the gun

Jumping the gun on what?  Being happy that we got a good prospect for a backup QB?  Sorry, but no there's nothing to apologize for about that.

It's kind of the one fascinating thing about preseason if you see a new backup go out and have a chance to learn and show what they can do because you usually don't want them to have to be doing it in the regular season, aside from games where you have such a huge lead in.  I think Clifford could be pretty good as a backup, but even if he doesn't turn out so it's still well worth the risk investing in him.

I'm already starting the Love out Clifford in bandwagon!!!!

Imagine we have hit the holy grail, great QB on a rookie contract!!!!

Play Love this year, trade him for a couple of 1st rounders, because he will be great but we'll have to pay him silly dollars. Then roll with Clifford and we have our window!!!!

I've done my share of bagging on this guy, but he showed enough for me to see that he's got plenty of moxy and athletic skills to become a solid backup QB in this league.  Hopefully he can learn from the few mistakes he made and get better.  He showed that he has some playmaking ability for sure.  

• Like 1

He looked really good staring down receivers and throwing balls into tight windows that won't be there against 2's or 1's.

Pretty refreshing, because if #12 were on the sidelines, those kinds of throws wouldn't be tolerated.

Still think he trash.  But he's no longer shrimp tails, leftover fish trimmings in the 4 day old garbage trash.

It's more like old cereal, vegetable seeds, moldy bread trash.

• Like 2

Dunno like what I saw from Cliffnotes.  He has a pretty good arm looks stronger than Flynn's.  Nice quick release. Kid has some wheels too. He's our back up just won that job.  All the bashing of this kid when he was drafted.  Think this will turn out to be a great pick by Gutenheimer.  

We really do wear Green and Gold goggles around here.  One pre-season game against guy who will likely be doing something else in September.  Staring down receivers.  Taking chances.  And getting picked twice.

He's not hot garbage like I thought...but if we have to play him, we are, uh, up sheet crick without a paddle.  

Edited by vegas492
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

We really do wear Green and Gold goggles around one.  One pre-season game against guy who will likely be doing something else in September.  Staring down receivers.  Taking chances.  And getting picked twice.

He's not hot garbage like I thought...but if we have to play him, we are, uh, up sheet crick without a paddle.  

The expectations were so low that he looked great lol

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

I'll be curious how Love and Clifford play against Belichicks defenses in the joint practices and game.  It's still early in camp and the Pats concepts and schemes might not be sharp but it will be interesting to see how our QBs do.

I checked a few seasons back, and generally the Patriots like to win in pre-season*, going 3-1 pretty commonly, tho they got shmucked last year. I figure that teams have a bit of control over preseason W/L because they can put in players and plays to evaluate for the bottom of the roster or they can be try-hards if they feel like the team needs a W. A few years back some team (Browns, maybe?) played us in preseason like it was their Super Bowl. The Patriots have already lost one, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they come at us pretty hard this week.

Infamously, the Lions went 4-0 in preseason one year before losing every regular season game that followed.

*One year, I looked at the preseasons for every Super Bowl winner. Not one of them to that point had either won or lost every preseason game. I thought it was kind of odd. 

3 minutes ago, Norm said:

The expectations were so low that he looked great lol

That's how I feel for right now.  

But I also feel this way....this team is bigger, faster and stronger than past teams.  Those end of the roster WR's have some talent to them and Clifford wasn't afraid to give them chances.  

• Like 1

On 8/13/2023 at 1:34 AM, LLcheesehead12 said:

Jumping the gun on what?  Being happy that we got a good prospect for a backup QB?  Sorry, but no there's nothing to apologize for about that.

It's kind of the one fascinating thing about preseason if you see a new backup go out and have a chance to learn and show what they can do because you usually don't want them to have to be doing it in the regular season, aside from games where you have such a huge lead in.  I think Clifford could be pretty good as a backup, but even if he doesn't turn out so it's still well worth the risk investing in him.

Dude tried calling out everyone on page 1, then backtracked to a meme, trying to pat himself on the back because of half a preseason game where Clifford threw two ints. If that's not jumping the gun, nothing is.

15 minutes ago, Uffdaswede said:

I checked a few seasons back, and generally the Patriots like to win in pre-season*, going 3-1 pretty commonly, tho they got shmucked last year. I figure that teams have a bit of control over preseason W/L because they can put in players and plays to evaluate for the bottom of the roster or they can be try-hards if they feel like the team needs a W. A few years back some team (Browns, maybe?) played us in preseason like it was their Super Bowl. The Patriots have already lost one, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they come at us pretty hard this week.

Infamously, the Lions went 4-0 in preseason one year before losing every regular season game that followed.

*One year, I looked at the preseasons for every Super Bowl winner. Not one of them to that point had either won or lost every preseason game. I thought it was kind of odd. 

Yeah, teams put different emphasis on the preseason games.  The Ravens haven't lost a preseason game since 2015.  24-0.  Nice to win but what's the risk for that????