5.149 - Sean Clifford [QB; Penn State]

CWood21

1 minute ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Sean Clifford seems to be universally hated, but he's got some intangibles for sure.  He's a plus 9 RAS guy, he was a four year starter at a top program, Will Levis couldn't beat him out, he was team captain forever.  Some of these guys with moxy seem to surprise at the pro level.  I guess we shall see how this plays out.  In round five and beyond you're just hoping to get a guy that can develop into a solid backup.  

I don't hate him. I first heard his name yesterday. I don't pay attention to college ball really.

I've definitely seen worse QB play than what I saw from Clifford. Would take him 100% over Stetson Bennett for example.

10 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Sean Clifford seems to be universally hated, but he's got some intangibles for sure.  He's a plus 9 RAS guy, he was a four year starter at a top program, Will Levis couldn't beat him out, he was team captain forever.  Some of these guys with moxy seem to surprise at the pro level.  I guess we shall see how this plays out.  In round five and beyond you're just hoping to get a guy that can develop into a solid backup.  

Well this is embarrassing.

I used to have an irrational mob right here behind me helping to spew sophomoric abuse for the quarterback we drafted that said something mean about Green Bay when he was in high school.

If he has a good RAS score and tries hard and is a good teammate I guess he can stay and ride a kid’s bike to practice.

But I’m not buying his jersey!

18 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Worth rolling the dice. Gutey said he was the last guy they had ranked in that tier of QB and I’m sure the run made them a bit uncomfortable. I went back and watched his highlights and he made some plays. I guess I need to find his lowlights, like does he have a whole reel of butt fumbles and pick 6s that has everyone hating him so much? Anyway, he can definitely move in a fairly big frame.  Maybe they see a guy with brains, physical potential and bad fundamentals and figure they put him in the lab with Clements and see if he can Frankenstein us a backup QB. Take a shot in the 5th and see if  he can achieve that. 

One thing in defense of Clifford is that while "scouting the helmet" is only slightly less lazy than "scouting the box score", Penn State is absolutely a program that recruits on the level of any of the blue bloods of college football but they have absolutely nothing to show for it.  Like they're in the same division as tOSU and UM, but you should be able to beat your rivals *sometimes* (like sometimes LSU beats Alabama, and sometimes Iowa State beats Oklahoma).  Not only that but a lot of Penn State guys have better NFL careers than college careers.

So it's possible that James Franklin is a great recruiter, and a terrible coach.

4 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

This was a VERY strange pick for GB. Love still has not shown a thing on the field so I guess they figured they would grab him instead of fighting for him in UDFA. I hope Love comes out doing great off the bat or GB could be in for a long drought. I saw a stat that showed for GB to hit another QB for the the next 15 years is very RARE. Good luck with Love and hope he does well for ya but I have my doubts. I don't understand the kicker pick either when you have Crosby. 

According to our GMs presser he saw the run on QBs and Clifford was  graded as one of the last draftable QBs left, so he pulled the trigger.

Crosby is old and makes too much money. Time to find a kicker for the future. With Rodgers gone and this being a rebuild year with no expectations of making the playoffs makes no sense to keep him on the roster.

If Rodgers was here the playoff window is still open and Crosby would still be on the roster.

7 hours ago, Boondoggle said:

Never know what gems turn up.  Brock Purdy was Mr. Irrelevant and had a RAS of 4.27 😮  

It was stupid then too but there was talk Purdy was a future first earlier in his college career. He surprised me but it was never as left field for him to play alright as some people treated it, imo. 

Just now, vegas492 said:

Maybe he needs to stick on the roster, just to be the new whipping boy.  Yeah, in fact, he does.

With how terribly the internet views him… the more likely career is he becomes GBs Eli Manning.

He is mind numbingly average and drives us all nuts but leads GB to 2-3 SB wins and we can’t stand it.