2018 Draft Prospects

blkwdw13

41 minutes ago, G08 said:

For sure, I don't think they should detract from their board or how they have stacked players.

Just in talking to and reading from people that did this for a living, I got the impression that they look at pockets of talent and where they can find quality players in the draft. For example, I think the EDGE talent falls off a cliff after Chubb/Davenport/Landry whereas I believe there is one elite iOL in Nelson, but quite a few other talented iOL that could be solid starters (Billy Price, James Daniels, Isaiah Wynn, Will Hernandez, Austin Corbett, Frank Ragnow, etc).

So what do you do? If you have Nelson graded as a 9.9 and Davenport as a 9.7, do you still take Nelson knowing that the best EDGE you can get at pick #39 is (I'm just throwing out a number here for the sake of this example) 8.4? Or do you draft Davenport and at #39 pick from a pool of iOL that, at minimum, you have ranked at 9.3?

For me? Give me the pass rusher and an iOL that Hiestand loves in round 2 every single time.

Agreed. I have my own draftee grading scale I have put together. You get a player base, then modifiers (age, legal woes, character issues, positional bonuses/negatives, etc) then I get a final score. I go off that, but if the base scores were that similar between an OG and EDGE, there is going to have to be some serious off-field issues to beat a G.

9 minutes ago, G08 said:

Adam Jahns writes the Bears should draft one of the following next week:

Roquan Smith, ILB
Minkah Fitzpatrick, DB
Denzel Ward, CB

I like Smith...would be massively disappointed with either of the other two. 

54 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I like Smith...would be massively disappointed with either of the other two. 

A few years ago I would have not picked a ILB in a 3-4 with the 8th pick, especially a smallish one, but the trend away from LB being very important to good defenses I believe is starting to swing back.  With the proliferation of good RBs that can catch well out of the backfield and other everybody eligible type formations a guy who can read and react quickly and make plays downhill and still be able to turn and cover well is becoming more and more valuable.

Smith seems to be a guy with a high floor and tailor made for the new NFL game and he does have some very good big bodies in front of him which might reduce his exposure to being routinely run at by fat Olinemen.

If the Bears are set to draft defense with the 8th and a pass rusher of their choosing is not still on the board, he might be the next best option.

2 hours ago, G08 said:

Adam Jahns writes the Bears should draft one of the following next week:

Roquan Smith, ILB
Minkah Fitzpatrick, DB
Denzel Ward, CB

Add Davenport and I'd be happy with any of those four. This is the first year where I don't think they'll get screwed (Donald/Fuller, Williams/White) by the team before them, and while I wish they could get Barkley or Chubb, I'm aware they won't, so Fitzpatrick, Davenport, Smith or Ward would be fine by me, with preference toward Davenport in a trade down :)

3 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Add Davenport and I'd be happy with any of those four. This is the first year where I don't think they'll get screwed (Donald/Fuller, Williams/White) by the team before them, and while I wish they could get Barkley or Chubb, I'm aware they won't, so Fitzpatrick, Davenport, Smith or Ward would be fine by me, with preference toward Davenport in a trade down :)

I'd jump at Barkley. He's the elite among the elite for this draft and the rare case I take BPA regardless of position or what I already have on the roster (Howard).

8 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Jahns said on Kaplan’s show yesterday that to a guy, former Bears coaches will tell you that Howard is JAG with good vision, FWIW

Pics or it didn't happen

Edited by G08

15 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Jahns said on Kaplan’s show yesterday that to a guy, former Bears coaches will tell you that Howard is JAG with good vision, FWIW

Fwiw id say that's relatively accurate.  Howard doesnt really have any special traits, except his vision.  Its really, really good.  And id say its definitely one of the more important traits in a rb.