Packers 2023 UDFA Class.

Packerraymond

13 hours ago, Refugee said:

I’m all for a good long shot, so #44 Pearson FB out of Appalachian State caught my attention when I was looking through the photos. Also, for the record, I’m a big Cox guy. 

Didn't see Ron Jeremy on the 90 man roster 🤔

• Like 1

On 5/25/2023 at 5:46 PM, Bcv said:

What’s going on with the UDFA at minicamp?

A few players to watch. 

WR- Malik Heath is a player that hasn't been talked about at all here but has a real chance to outplay others for the final WR spot. He was the most productive WR at Ole Miss last season ahead of 2nd round pick Mingo. Combine a slow 40 and boneheaded off the field issues and he goes undrafted but is still a big and productive chains moving receiver. He was the #1 high school recruit coming out of Mississippi yet ended up at a C.C. to start his college career, there is a story somewhere there. 

TE/FB - Henry Pearson is a player who tries to blow someone up on every play, he plays like he has anger issues. His play attitude will serve him well on ST's and makes him a longshot possibility to endear himself to coaches and onto the 53. 

DL - Jason Lewan may have a path to the 53 because of the loss of two big bodies from last season's DL room. Draft picks Wooden and Brooks are tweeners, Lewan is more of a true DL. If he shows well in pre-season, he will only need to beat out the pair of Ford and Slayton to possibly make the opening day roster. Just sayin' there's a chance.  

Edited by R T
  • Like 6

^I talked briefly about Heath.  I kind of lump all the UDFA and late drafted WRs in this class in the same group with Melton.  Someone is going to get a roster spot, and probably 15 or so targets during the course of the season.  I give Toure a slight edge over the newcomers, but I don't think it would be Earth shattering if he is out and one of the others is in.  We also have Jeff Cotton as a PS holdover.

I wouldn't be surprised if the "final" roster this season is 2 RBs again.  At least one of the guys should make it to the PS, and I also venture a guess that we aren't kicking ourselves for losing any of them, should they move on.

11 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

^I talked briefly about Heath.  I kind of lump all the UDFA and late drafted WRs in this class in the same group with Melton.  Someone is going to get a roster spot, and probably 15 or so targets during the course of the season.  I give Toure a slight edge over the newcomers, but I don't think it would be Earth shattering if he is out and one of the others is in.  We also have Jeff Cotton as a PS holdover.

I wouldn't be surprised if the "final" roster this season is 2 RBs again.  At least one of the guys should make it to the PS, and I also venture a guess that we aren't kicking ourselves for losing any of them, should they move on.

Toure is a lock.  No UDFA is going to beat him out.  He's #4 on the depth chart and could elevate to #3 if he outperforms Doubs.  Watson, Reed, Doubs, Toure, Wicks.  Last spot is up for grabs if they keep 6.  Either Melton or DuBose.   That should be an interesting decision.  

I'm not feeling it with Malik Heath.

I come away underwhelmed watching his highlights compared to Wicks and DuBose. He's lacking that wiggle and acceleration that they have.

At Ole Miss it appears he only ever played on the right hand side of the field. They used him as a boundary guy and to stretch the field but you can tell he doesn't quite have the speed to separate, He's usually tackled as soon as he caught the ball. He did just enough to function in that role. He's a limited player and I think NFL evaluators see that as well.

Mingo on the other hand was moved around all over showing his versatility and skillset. He produced similar numbers to Heath despite slightly fewer catches. Mingo's athletic testing numbers were far superior. Mingo is also a year younger. He probably interviewed better too. So the overall body of work it's why Mingo is a 2nd round pick and Heath went undrafted.

As for other undrafted WRs we brought in, Deuce Watts may have had mediocre college production but he catches the ball far better than Heath does and it immediately clear on tape that he's also more athletic. Maybe these two traits will help him surpass Health at NFL level.

Jadakis Bonds is faster and taller than Heath. Dominated at his level of competition. He also showed commitment to filling out his frame, he looked skinny in older video/pics but he's now at a good 205lbs. He checks alot of boxes and again those traits may help him surpass Heath at NFL level.

Jeff Cotton didn't test athletically at all (I assume due to covid) but his tape shows a guy with good size and physicality. He also looks decently quick. His college stats were highly productive. His age is counting against him though as he's already 26, a full 3-4 years older than some of the rookies. He entered the 2020 draft and yet to record an NFL stat since then. Only way he beats out Heath and other undrafted rookies is if his full body of work is far superior. Sometimes guys takes a while to develop and 3 years in the NFL may have given him the development he needs to break out. That's his only advantage over the rookies. We'll see.

Whilst not quite undrafted Bo Melton has a completely different skillset. He's closer to Jayden Reed in style but he isn't anywhere near as good. I think the fact we drafted Reed probably kills Melton chances of making the roster and we seem focused on filling the bottom of the WR depth chart with bigger bodies. When compared to Heath I think he's better, shows better agility, speed, routes and hands.

Right now my WR power rankings are:

1. Christian Watson
2. Romeo Doubs
3. Jayden Reed
4. Samori Toure
5. Dontayvion Wicks
-----------------------------
6. Grant DuBose
7. Jadakis Bonds
8. Deuce Watts
9. Bo Melton
10. Jeff Cotton
11. Malik Heath

The battle for the 6th WR spot should be between DuBose, Bonds and Watts.

Edited by Chili
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Chili said:

Right now my WR power rankings are:

1. Christian Watson
2. Romeo Doubs
3. Jayden Reed
4. Samori Toure
5. Dontayvion Wicks
6. Grant DuBose
7. Jadakis Bonds
8. Deuce Watts
9. Bo Melton
10. Jeff Cotton
11. Malik Heath

The battle for the 6th WR spot should be between DuBose, Bonds and Watts.

Just nit picking here, but I would put the line after Toure.  Do you see much of a difference between Wicks, DuBose, Bonds, and Watts? I really don't.  I am just wondering, maybe I need to take another look. A true pecking order will show it self soon enough, I am just wondering if I am missing something.  

20 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Just nit picking here, but I would put the line after Toure.  Do you see much of a difference between Wicks, DuBose, Bonds, and Watts? I really don't.  I am just wondering, maybe I need to take another look. A true pecking order will show it self soon enough, I am just wondering if I am missing something.  

Wicks was a 5th round pick.  Unless he really bombs out he'll make the squad.   

41 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Agree about Toure to Wicks. 

1. Christian Watson
2. Romeo Doubs
3. Jayden Reed
4. Samori Toure

-----

5. Dontayvion Wicks

-----

6. Everyone else

Aside from injuries Watson, Doubs, Reed and Toure are in the first group and going to be the ones with most of the production from the WR position. I think 95% of us can agree on that part.

Wicks is in a tier by himself, he has the inside track to a roster spot and would probably need to fall awfully flat not to hold that spot. He will get a few mulligans compared to the others below him because of draft status. 

The other six are likely all on equal footing in a battle for possibly one roster spot on the 53, they could only keep five and all this debate would be pointless though. DuBose would probably have the tiebreaker over the others if all things were equal in the end. Most people don't know what to do with Melton so some are just discounting his chances, but my guess is he will have some preseason flashes. Cotton could be this year's Kumerow and still be released in the end because of the lack of long-term upside. To rank this group of six in any order before TC it a bit of a silly exercise though, IMO. Everything is yet to be determined for these six young men and I personally love watching these types of things playout which is best done without picking your favorite son before anyone has done anything on the NFL level.   

Edited by R T
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Scoremore said:

Wicks was a 5th round pick.  Unless he really bombs out he'll make the squad.   

And that very well may be the case.

What I am doing is throwing away the draft status and just looking at the little bit of video that I can find on these guys.  I know that these are almost all used to make prospects look their best.  But watching the highlights, what separates Wicks, Dubose, and Watts? No shade thrown at anyone, at least not intentionally.  Like I have said before, I hope that Clifford and Etling are good enough to give all of these guys a fair shake, because I think they all have something to offer.  

• Like 1

Agree with Discussion.  Rotation/snaps runs through Toure.  Even in absence of injuries, Toure will get a bunch of snaps.  Reed will be used in some packages, but Toure will be used in some others.  

5th round Wicks is a roster lock, but won't be in snaps rotation.  In absence of injury (or a "wow" camp), unlikely to be in any packages.  Needs to earn a ST role, otherwise he may be game-day inactive.  

After that, who knows?  Will there be 6 WR?  Who knows?  WR are competing with anybody and everybody from different rooms to get back-of-roster ST-based spots on 53-man. 

After Wicks, I think the bigger question is how many WR will make the 69.  ST, WR, and blocking qualities all factor.  I have no clue how those will shake out. 

Brains and knucklehead factors impact UDFA/PS, and are hard to predict.  Especially for us fans. Coaches like developmental guys who will listen, learn, and get better.  Tape and RAS don't always reflect brains or knucklehead. 

Lots of guys with speed/size/RAS just aren't smart enough to make it.  TT signed lots of UDFA corners with 2nd-day speed/size/RAS.  Tramon and Shields were great, and won us a Super Bowl; but who knows which guys have the brains?  For a drafted guy like Sternberger, the NFL playbook was overwhelming.  I suspect that's common for some UDFA guys.  

Other guys just knucklehead their way out.  How's Colt Lyerla doing?  Cox and Heath, who knows how that will go for them?  

5 hours ago, craig said:

Brains and knucklehead factors impact UDFA/PS, and are hard to predict.  Especially for us fans. Coaches like developmental guys who will listen, learn, and get better.  Tape and RAS don't always reflect brains or knucklehead. 

Lots of guys with speed/size/RAS just aren't smart enough to make it.  TT signed lots of UDFA corners with 2nd-day speed/size/RAS.  Tramon and Shields were great, and won us a Super Bowl; but who knows which guys have the brains?  For a drafted guy like Sternberger, the NFL playbook was overwhelming.  I suspect that's common for some UDFA guys.  

Other guys just knucklehead their way out.  How's Colt Lyerla doing?  Cox and Heath, who knows how that will go for them?  

I think Cox has the best chance of the UDFA if they go 5 edges, especially with Gary on the pup. I don't see any UDFA at WR. Maybe one can beat out Ford at DL? I think Hanson is the only one vulnerable on the OL. Austin Allen over Davis at TE maybe?  SJC is another player vulnerable to losing his job to an UDFA. They seem to love Patrick Taylor. Those other UDFA need to blow the coaches away to take his job.

Edited by St Vince
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, St Vince said:

I think Cox has the best chance of the UDFA if they go 5 edges, especially with Gary on the pup. I don't see any UDFA at WR. Maybe one can beat out Ford at DL? I think Hanson is the only one vulnerable on the OL. Austin Allen over Davis at TE maybe?  SJC is another player vulnerable to losing his job to an UDFA. They seem to love Patrick Taylor. Those other UDFA need to blow the coaches away to take his job.

I know I am constantly the Garvin honk, but he is still just 6 months older than Brenton Cox, despite being in his fourth year in the league.  You would think that the light would have already gone on, but just saying, he is STILL young.

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I know I am constantly the Garvin honk, but he is still just 6 months older than Brenton Cox, despite being in his fourth year in the league.  You would think that the light would have already gone on, but just saying, he is STILL young.

Young, but not inexperienced. He's a marginal player who skipped OTA's last week, so perhaps not driven. He had a golden opportunity last year with the injury to Gary but was beat out by a 5th round rookie. I was hopeful about him in the past, but not anymore. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/26/2023 at 4:20 PM, R T said:

A few players to watch. 

WR- Malik Heath is a player that hasn't been talked about at all here but has a real chance to outplay others for the final WR spot. He was the most productive WR at Ole Miss last season ahead of 2nd round pick Mingo. Combine a slow 40 and boneheaded off the field issues and he goes undrafted but is still a big and productive chains moving receiver. He was the #1 high school recruit coming out of Mississippi yet ended up at a C.C. to start his college career, there is a story somewhere there. 

TE/FB - Henry Pearson is a player who tries to blow someone up on every play, he plays like he has anger issues. His play attitude will serve him well on ST's and makes him a longshot possibility to endear himself to coaches and onto the 53. 

DL - Jason Lewan may have a path to the 53 because of the loss of two big bodies from last season's DL room. Draft picks Wooden and Brooks are tweeners, Lewan is more of a true DL. If he shows well in pre-season, he will only need to beat out the pair of Ford and Slayton to possibly make the opening day roster. Just sayin' there's a chance.  

Someone a few weeks ago was talking about this Heath fellow as someone to watch, oh wait, never mind. Wonder if @Chili is feeling him yet? 

Herman also noted that the Packers split their team down the middle today, separating out the top end and bottom end of the roster on each side of the practice field. Undrafted rookie receiver Malik Heath out of Ole Miss earned a spot with “the ones,” which is something to look out for. Maybe he’s going to be our preseason darling this summer. Heath, a combine invite, ran a 4.64-second 40-yard dash after leading the Rebels — over second-round pick Jonathan Mingo — in receiving last season.