Packers 2023 UDFA Class.

Packerraymond

On 5/26/2023 at 1:20 PM, R T said:

A few players to watch. 

WR- Malik Heath is a player that hasn't been talked about at all here but has a real chance to outplay others for the final WR spot. He was the most productive WR at Ole Miss last season ahead of 2nd round pick Mingo. Combine a slow 40 and boneheaded off the field issues and he goes undrafted but is still a big and productive chains moving receiver. He was the #1 high school recruit coming out of Mississippi yet ended up at a C.C. to start his college career, there is a story somewhere there. 

TE/FB - Henry Pearson is a player who tries to blow someone up on every play, he plays like he has anger issues. His play attitude will serve him well on ST's and makes him a longshot possibility to endear himself to coaches and onto the 53. 

DL - Jason Lewan may have a path to the 53 because of the loss of two big bodies from last season's DL room. Draft picks Wooden and Brooks are tweeners, Lewan is more of a true DL. If he shows well in pre-season, he will only need to beat out the pair of Ford and Slayton to possibly make the opening day roster. Just sayin' there's a chance.  

Heath: The story is he's functionally retarded.

Pearson: Gonna call this one DOA. Classic camp body to give a look. I have a very hard time seeing this staff passing up on a Deguara for a Pearson. I know H-Back generally isn't the spot where athleticism and processing speed will settle the difference, but if those don't, draft position will. 

Lewan: He's listed at 6'6 293. I don't see any way that he's going to replace the pure fatties from a role perspective. Maybe there will be a roster squeeze, but that doesn't seem likely. Generally you look at body types to see where he fits, and he doesn't really have a twin on the roster. All things considered, that tells me he's here for a camp look. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Pearson: Gonna call this one DOA. Classic camp body to give a look. I have a very hard time seeing this staff passing up on a Deguara for a Pearson. I know H-Back generally isn't the spot where athleticism and processing speed will settle the difference, but if those don't, draft position will. 

Lewan: He's listed at 6'6 293. I don't see any way that he's going to replace the pure fatties from a role perspective. Maybe there will be a roster squeeze, but that doesn't seem likely. Generally you look at body types to see where he fits, and he doesn't really have a twin on the roster. All things considered, that tells me he's here for a camp look. 

We just lost a guy like that in Lowry. Lowry, was serviceable at best. He was also the lone body type at his position. The guy definitely has to bulk up and might be a practice squad guy this year. 

I still have Cox as the guy with the best chance to getting a roster spot, but he better mind his P's and Q's to have a chance. 

11 hours ago, R T said:

Someone a few weeks ago was talking about this Heath fellow as someone to watch, oh wait, never mind. Wonder if @Chili is feeling him yet? 

Herman also noted that the Packers split their team down the middle today, separating out the top end and bottom end of the roster on each side of the practice field. Undrafted rookie receiver Malik Heath out of Ole Miss earned a spot with “the ones,” which is something to look out for. Maybe he’s going to be our preseason darling this summer. Heath, a combine invite, ran a 4.64-second 40-yard dash after leading the Rebels — over second-round pick Jonathan Mingo — in receiving last season.

From reports from mini camp, Heath and Clifford seem to have a really good connection.  If that translates to some preseason success, it bodes well for Heath.  I still think there is a top 4, most likely Wicks, then quite the log jam for a 6th in line at WR.  

Also, I think Wicks has been hurt and Reed hasn't signed, yet.  Was Heath with the ones above them?

34 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

From reports from mini camp, Heath and Clifford seem to have a really good connection.  If that translates to some preseason success, it bodes well for Heath.  I still think there is a top 4, most likely Wicks, then quite the log jam for a 6th in line at WR.  

Also, I think Wicks has been hurt and Reed hasn't signed, yet.  Was Heath with the ones above them?

You don't have to sign to play in mini camp, Reed has been out there every day. DuBose is hurt, Wicks just came back yesterday but missed two of the three OTA sessions. 

Running with the 1s doesn't really mean anything at this point. Guys will get a rep here or there with the 1s throughout OTAs and minicamp.

That said, Heath has some real nice body control and hands, he's physical and was real solid playing the back shoulder at Ole Miss. I'd expect him to get a look and be one of the two WRs we keep on the PS. He fits what we like here a lot.

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

These guys are gunning for the 69, not the 53.  If there is something there, we’ll try to develop them. Dubose still out? Might be trying to red shirt him this year but we’ll know by TC. Going to be a logjam at the final WR roster spot and PS. 

Also, functionally retarded? Seems a bit harsh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Refugee said:

These guys are gunning for the 69, not the 53.  If there is something there, we’ll try to develop them. Dubose still out? Might be trying to red shirt him this year but we’ll know by TC. Going to be a logjam at the final WR roster spot and PS. 

Just a guess, but we may see fewer WRs this season, based on STs.  I imagine that Watson isn't going to be on many teams units, and Doubs and Toure didn't play them last season.  Reed seems to be a returner, if he plays, but that is probably Nixon's job.  My guess is that probably more of a route for a 3rd or even 4th RB (Patrick Taylor played in 34% of STs snaps last season) or a 4th TE (Tyler Davis played in 81%) over another WR.  And perhaps we also may keep more fringe safety types that can also play teams, since that looks like a pretty weak spot on defense at this point.  

8 hours ago, Refugee said:

It is not

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

It is not

But what are you basing that on? It’s not really cool to call anyone retarded but it seems like you are saying it because you’ve met him. I watched an interview with him.  He came off like maybe a “ dumb jock”. Def a Mississippi kid and not verbose but seemed accountable and like he cared about the game. I don’t know much about the guy, maybe you could enlighten us?

Maybe he has trouble with his executive function but is on point in his operational functions. Which is focused on football preventing the full development of his hot (or cold) circuit *(by unknown pathways). Once he figures out where his stress or underdeveloped areas need work he can then decide if it's external or internal and be less retarded. 

Edited by svp
no edit. I just rewrote it 5 million times.

• 2 months later...
On 5/1/2023 at 4:08 PM, Scoremore said:

Awesome signing. He was a 2nd round talent with some overblown, yet legit, issues.

The Gators had a coaching change in 2022. The new HC, who's awesome, brought in a lot of discipline and structure. Cox was loose with the rules, which was previously tolerated. The new HC made an example of him and cut him loose after some bad stuff against his for team in the UF/UGA game.

Not to make excuses, he deserved to be cut loose. Yet, there were no major issues. He's still well liked at UF. After the season was over, he was brought back in to workout for the draft. He participated at UFs pro day.

16 minutes ago, Donzo said:

Awesome signing. He was a 2nd round talent with some overblown, yet legit, issues.

The Gators had a coaching change in 2022. The new HC, who's awesome, brought in a lot of discipline and structure. Cox was loose with the rules, which was previously tolerated. The new HC made an example of him and cut him loose after some bad stuff against his for team in the UF/UGA game.

Not to make excuses, he deserved to be cut loose. Yet, there were no major issues. He's still well liked at UF. After the season was over, he was brought back in to workout for the draft. He participated at UFs pro day.

IF the coach got rid of him to, 'make an example of him.' The coach should be fired. The young man did have draftable talent and coaches are supposed to help kids in that process. I don't care if the coach is new or not, if he was let go as an example, the coach is an ******* and should not represent any school. 

If he deserved to be cut loose, then he was not let go to be made an example of. You can't have it both ways. 

I'm thrilled we got him, but you statement is contradictory. 

I thought his film cutups, highlights, were that of a mid round draft pick.  Like end of 4-7.  Lottery ticket.  Had some traits, but not all that you want.  RAS score didn't include agility and was okay, but not anywhere near elite.

Then he came into our camp...and all he did was prove that he can play football on a very raw level.  He's undisciplined.  He's not overly quick or fast.  Also?  Not slow and laboring. But that kid can rush the QB and he gives a lot of effort.

Happy he made the team and I'll be very interested to see how he improves.

Garvin was the better athlete coming out, and he just never showed that he could play football.  Cox isn't a polar opposite, because he is still an okay athlete, but he just seems to understand the game and how to play it.

51 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I thought his film cutups, highlights, were that of a mid round draft pick.  Like end of 4-7.  Lottery ticket.  Had some traits, but not all that you want.  RAS score didn't include agility and was okay, but not anywhere near elite.

Then he came into our camp...and all he did was prove that he can play football on a very raw level.  He's undisciplined.  He's not overly quick or fast.  Also?  Not slow and laboring. But that kid can rush the QB and he gives a lot of effort.

Happy he made the team and I'll be very interested to see how he improves.

Garvin was the better athlete coming out, and he just never showed that he could play football.  Cox isn't a polar opposite, because he is still an okay athlete, but he just seems to understand the game and how to play it.

I would submit that Cox testing numbers were hampered by the fact he did not have the opportunity to train with professionals who teach guys how to do well at the combine. 

He's quicker than heck and he's plenty fast enough in 10 yards. He's a diamond in the rough.