2024 NFL Draft

Humble_Beast

3 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

I heard a rumor that the Chargers could trade Herbert to the Vikings and select McCarthy at #5

No way that happens. If teams are wanting 3 FRPs for the rights to draft pick, what would a 26 year old starter with that skill set for for? 

24 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Kinda how I feel about pennix does harbs know his weaknesses and will completely own him twice a year

I doubt he knows much more about Penix than he does any other QB, tbh. 

Washington and Michigan played once. 

If I remember correctly, Lenox only played once against Michigan while at Indiana. 

Penix at Washington was a different QB than he was at Indiana. Scouting for him twice isn't really all that much, especially such wildly different versions of him. And certainly nowhere near coaching the guy at practice every day. 

I still blame DeBoer for a lot of the Championship mess, too. Michigan knew Washington's run game was hobbled after Johnson got banged up in the Texas game when DeBoer inexplicably opted against milking the clock. I don't mean to take anything away from Michigan's D or shift blame away from Penix, but it undoubtedly played a role in how Michigan's D started out against Washington. That they executed the plan to near perfection is all credit to Michigan, but the plan itself undoubtedly got drawn up based on what they knew was going on, as any plan is. 

If I'm worried about Harbaugh knowing too much about Penix, I'm worried he simply knows too much about any QB we could possibly find. 

6 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

No way that happens. If teams are wanting 3 FRPs for the rights to draft pick, what would a 26 year old starter with that skill set for for? 

My guess would be 3 FRP + player and mid round picks still. Herbert isn’t on a rookie deal anymore

3 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Depends. 

A team can ask for whatever they want for a pick. They could ask for 5 firsts and stadium naming rights. Doesn't mean they'll get it. Whatever the hoopla may be, I don't see anyone actually ponying up 3 1sts in this draft to move up. 

With regard to Herbert....

It's nuanced. It's also Harbaugh. Chaos reigns. 

I highly doubt they'd do the straight up trade being rumored. But I can 100% see the Chargers sending Herbert to Minnesota for their 1st + x,y,z withoutnit getting unreasonable. 

The Chargers still have cap work to do. Herbert would be their most expensive piece by a wide margin. He also, regardless of my opinion of the phrase, hasn't actually won anything. At Oregon or with the Chargers. 

If Minnesota called and got serious, I could definitely see the rationale in saying yes to a swap of 1st round picks + 23 + 2025 1st. 

3 1sts but Minnesota really only gives up 2 (the third pick was acquired via trade) for a franchise QB to a QB friendly situation, and I don't think the Vikings are far out of contention. 

Chargers get a QB cap reset, Harbaugh gets his protégé, 3 additional 1st rounders (totalling 2 in 2024 and 2 in 2025). 

It's attrition. At some point, Herbert has to put up or shut up, right? Like, he will eventually become a known commodity, as all do. 

Right now, he's talked about in that top 5 bracket along with Mahomes, Burrow, whoever. But what about Maye and Williams and Daniels and McCarthy? Assume any one of those guys turns out as good as advertised, who leapfrogs who in the top 5? 

Pat is entrenched at 1. 

Burrow has the strongest argument for 2. 

You also have Stroud ascending. Lamar hovers. A guyblike Hurts could rebound. Jordan Love could, surprisingly, wind up panning out very well. 

Letting Herbert go before you spend a lot of money on him may be a calculated risk that pays off. He's a lot closer to dropping into that "top 8-12" category now than he is entrenched as a top 5 QB as guys come in the league or break out. It's definitely not a static top 5 right now. 

And the kicker- if the Chargers indeed entertain the idea, it's absolutely because Jim Harbaugh feels like McCarthy will be better than Herbert and will cement his status as a top tier QB while Herbert slides down a tier or so simply due to the numbers. 

As long as we don’t trade up for a non top 3 QB I’m good. Pretty sure the reason we got Minshew was for insurance in case the draft doesn’t pan out how we hoped. Trade down from 13 or take Penix/Nix at 44, if neither are there focus on the rest of the roster. We can build the OL in this draft. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

I doubt he knows much more about Penix than he does any other QB, tbh. 

Washington and Michigan played once. 

If I remember correctly, Lenox only played once against Michigan while at Indiana. 

Penix at Washington was a different QB than he was at Indiana. Scouting for him twice isn't really all that much, especially such wildly different versions of him. And certainly nowhere near coaching the guy at practice every day. 

I still blame DeBoer for a lot of the Championship mess, too. Michigan knew Washington's run game was hobbled after Johnson got banged up in the Texas game when DeBoer inexplicably opted against milking the clock. I don't mean to take anything away from Michigan's D or shift blame away from Penix, but it undoubtedly played a role in how Michigan's D started out against Washington. That they executed the plan to near perfection is all credit to Michigan, but the plan itself undoubtedly got drawn up based on what they knew was going on, as any plan is. 

If I'm worried about Harbaugh knowing too much about Penix, I'm worried he simply knows too much about any QB we could possibly find. 

Good points

7 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

We can only hope that is the plan. Now it comes down to which OT and that is a whole other discussion. 

When the Raiders select Troy Fautanu I will be happy 

is he a guard or tackle?

10 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

I heard a rumor that the Chargers could trade Herbert to the Vikings and select McCarthy at #5

No chance.  Herbert is a tier below the truly elite QB's who has been held back by terrible coaching and a bad D.  I assure you Herbert is one of the main reasons why JH chose LA.  No chance you trade a 26 year old stud QB for an unproven commodity.  I really like JJ as a prospect too...

On 4/7/2024 at 8:55 PM, MrOaktown_56 said:

May not do many more mock drafts because work has been busy. This is what I did.

13. Troy Fautanu: Technician, very clean tackle prospect who I think can even hold his own against elite speed rushers. Long term starter.

44. Penix Jr (or Nix), he was available. I've said enough about him at this point.

77. Renardo Green: nasty, aggressive outside corner who bullied Nabers on the outside. Can be very good in the NFL but needs coaching on his hand use.

112. Blake Corum: can't believe he was there. Amazing quickness, could overshadow Zeus long term.

148. Zak Zinter: A good stash, potentially huge steal long term.

208. Xavier Weaver: Solid depth player at WR if injuries hit. Definitely has decent speed and has shown some savvy.

223. Evan Anderson (DT FAU): Big dude, space eater. At this stage, may as well take a shot on another DT on a rookie deal.

229. JD Bertrand (LB Notre Dame): Multi year notre dame starter at LB. Apparently ran in the 4.6 range, aggressive. Worth a shot at this point in the 7th.

https://x.com/KuhnTristen/status/1778494636795048305

Evan Anderson in for a visit @MrOaktown_56

• Like 1

22 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

Their goober of a HC did say McCarthy is the best QB prospect ever or some dumb **** like that lol. I would get a lot of laughter out of this if he did make that move.

• Like 1