2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

Yep.  Matt Leinhart was projected #1 overall after winning the Heisman as a junior, but he went back to USC for his senior year.  Leinhart would have been in the Rodgers draft had he declared as a junior.

He would’ve probably made more money from that 1oa contrat alone than he made in his career. 

1 hour ago, wisportsfan4 said:

Give me Cooper DeJean please. 

I'm just starting to watch a lot of film on defensive backs. I don't watch a lot of Iowa football, but I hear very good things about him. In your opinion, what stands out about him? What's his best position. I keep hearing about positional flexibility with him. Is his head on right? 

18 minutes ago, minnypackerfan said:

I'm just starting to watch a lot of film on defensive backs. I don't watch a lot of Iowa football, but I hear very good things about him. In your opinion, what stands out about him? What's his best position. I keep hearing about positional flexibility with him. Is his head on right? 

Yeah ideally you'd want him as more of a s/cb hybrid. I'd love to see him as the 5th DB in a nase nickel. Some people call it a "star" position. He's not a deep S type and I'm not sure he'd do well as a boundary CB.

19 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

The Bengals were one of the laughing stocks of the NFL prior to Burrow, the Jags too prior to Lawrence. Now the Bengals are praised routinely and the Jags are a decent, competitive team.

A good QB changes everything.

Those teams also purged the old coaching regimes and brought in people who could harness and develop that QB talent and system to be able to improve. The Bears obviously need to get the OC hire correct and give him enough leeway to build a competitive system. 

1 hour ago, minnypackerfan said:

Think Charles Woodson late in his career at Green Bay as far as skillset goes.  He's a guy you're going to move all over the defensive backfield.  He's not your standard boundary corner that you're going to leave on an island, or a single high safety.

1 hour ago, spilltray said:

Yeah ideally you'd want him as more of a s/cb hybrid. I'd love to see him as the 5th DB in a nase nickel. Some people call it a "star" position. He's not a deep S type and I'm not sure he'd do well as a boundary CB.

I think he'd be fine at free safety .. he's got great ball skills and can run well.  I think "star" is probably his best spot because he's physical and has really good instincts and blitzing ability.  He'd be perfect for our current scheme.

21 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Think Charles Woodson late in his career at Green Bay as far as skillset goes.  He's a guy you're going to move all over the defensive backfield.  He's not your standard boundary corner that you're going to leave on an island, or a single high safety.

The way Detroit uses Brian Branch? 

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

The way Detroit uses Brian Branch? 

He's shown much better ball skills than Branch ever showed at Alabama.  Branch had 4 INTs and 23 PD in 3 seasons in Tuscaloosa.  DeJean had 7 INTs and 13 PD in 2 seasons.  And there's a LOT less collective talent on Iowa's defense than there was with Alabama.  The problem for me with Brian Branch is that he was never the undoubted best player in their secondary.  Right now, they're probably got 2 CBs (Kool-Aid McKinstry and Terrion Arnold) that likely are FRPs this year.  Branch's teammate, Jordan Battle, went in the 3rd round last year.  The Vikings drafted Riley Moss out of Iowa in the 3rd last year, and he only played in 23 defensive snaps despite their issues at CB.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

He's shown much better ball skills than Branch ever showed at Alabama.  Branch had 4 INTs and 23 PD in 3 seasons in Tuscaloosa.  DeJean had 7 INTs and 13 PD in 2 seasons.  And there's a LOT less collective talent on Iowa's defense than there was with Alabama.  The problem for me with Brian Branch is that he was never the undoubted best player in their secondary.  Right now, they're probably got 2 CBs (Kool-Aid McKinstry and Terrion Arnold) that likely are FRPs this year.  Branch's teammate, Jordan Battle, went in the 3rd round last year.  The Vikings drafted Riley Moss out of Iowa in the 3rd last year, and he only played in 23 defensive snaps despite their issues at CB.

But the Lions use Branch similar to the way you described DeJean being used. I'd love to get him and have him be better than Branch. Branch has been really good for Detroit.

24 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

But the Lions use Branch similar to the way you described DeJean being used. I'd love to get him and have him be better than Branch. Branch has been really good for Detroit.

Branch has been good in the times that I’ve seen him play.  He also seems to get dinged up at least once a game but gets back out there. I’m still happy we traded pick 45 that nabbed him and got Reed, Wicks and Brooks.

• Like 1

FWIW, I really think Williams is trying to get to Washington. It's his hometown team and he has a real chance to ingrain himself into/with the new ownership which he has been rumored to want. The whole future of the Bears is such a question mark with Virginia being 101 and her son being by all accounts incompetent and the family having no ties to any real money outside of the Bears. 

• Like 1

Did a mock without trading back at all (that's where things get nutty).

19. Cooper DeJean | DB | Iowa
42. Quinyon Mitchell | CB | Toledo
52. Sedrick Van Pran | IOL | Georgia
83. Kiran Amegadjie | OT | Yale 
92. Braelon Allen | RB | Wisconsin
116. Junior Colson | ILB | Michigan
161. Zak Zinter | IOL | Michigan
180. Keith Randolph Jr | IDL | Illinois
211. Dylan Laube | RB | New Hampshire

• Like 3

3 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think he'd be fine at free safety .. he's got great ball skills and can run well.  I think "star" is probably his best spot because he's physical and has really good instincts and blitzing ability.  He'd be perfect for our current scheme.

Great athlete, instinctive football player.  Not sure he has the twitch for the next level at CB, but definite impact player.  Nice chess piece for any defense.