2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

Personally, I don't know any of those RB's you all have listed, as I don't really watch college football.

But that Michigan running back, Corum, impressed me when I watched the championship game.  Decisive.  Quick to the hole.  Compact.  Very good burst.  Reminded me a little bit of Jones when he was a rookie and carrying a little more weight than he is right now.

31 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Personally, I don't know any of those RB's you all have listed, as I don't really watch college football.

But that Michigan running back, Corum, impressed me when I watched the championship game.  Decisive.  Quick to the hole.  Compact.  Very good burst.  Reminded me a little bit of Jones when he was a rookie and carrying a little more weight than he is right now.

Lol that's about my extent of looking at RB this year too.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Corum is no Aaron Jones. He also won't have an offensive line who is so much more dominant that the opponents they play against as Michigan did against every team not named Alabama this year. 

Jones vision is special. Corum's is OK. The only true comparison I see between the guys his height. Corum also is not much of a threat out of the backfield. That was almost exclusively #7's job. Not sure if Corum can catch, but he was seldom asked to. That is a red flag for me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

You wanna see Aaron Jones of this class, it's Will Shipley. Shipley has more wiggle than Jones has but he's the guy I see that fits the Jones role the best going forward.

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

You wanna see Aaron Jones of this class, it's Will Shipley. Shipley has more wiggle than Jones has but he's the guy I see that fits the Jones role the best going forward.

He's Brandon Jackson more than Aaron Jones IMO. 

Last year had a great Jones comp in Spears, this year does not have one IMO. 

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Nah. Way more decisive and explosive than Jackson. 

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Corum is no Aaron Jones. He also won't have an offensive line who is so much more dominant that the opponents they play against as Michigan did against every team not named Alabama this year. 

Jones vision is special. Corum's is OK. The only true comparison I see between the guys his height. Corum also is not much of a threat out of the backfield. That was almost exclusively #7's job. Not sure if Corum can catch, but he was seldom asked to. That is a red flag for me. 

Dillon didn't catch in college either and that hasn't hurt him one bit in the pros.

I like the vision and the speed of which Corum hits the hole.  And I remember rookie Aaron Jones.  He was a little thick in the middle, like Corum is.  

I don't know where Corum will be drafted, but I like the kid.  He fits what I'm looking for in a back.  But I do want to see how he runs a 40 and I'm more interested in the first ten yard split.

Corum.  5'8''.  215 pounds.

Aaron Jones coming out.  5'9'' 208 pounds.

BTW...coming out, I'm looking at Aaron Jones scouting write up.  "Needs time in a developmental league."  LOL.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/aaron-jones/32004a4f-4e02-6624-33bd-3ba151b7013d

I think evaluators underestimated Jones’ strengths, particularly as it pertains to running between the tackles. Jones is one of the best pure runners in the league — a total package of burst, vision, power and finish. 

Some of these qualities were outlined in his scouting reports, but I doubt evaluators truly understood how precise Jones is when identifying rushing lanes and how sharp his acceleration is when hitting these holes. 

Jones’ 40-yard dash time of 4.49 did not raise many eyebrows at the NFL Combine, but the proof of Jones’ play style was in his 10-yard split — a blistering 1.51 seconds which ranks in the 95% percentile of running backs per the Relative Athletic Score. 

https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/article/revisiting-old-scouting-reports-packers-rb-aaron-jones-207979542/

39 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Thanks!  I'll watch him and eagerly await his 10 yard split.

looking at RBs - you want to find a RB who seeks to avoid contact rather than play through it, but when the DB tackles come flying in at full speed he can make them into glancing blows that he runs through.

Too many people get excited about RBs like Dillon who ran over tackle attempts from LBs.  This is not an effective archetype in the NFL outside of Marcus Allen and Derrick Henry.

Burst is always more important than speed.  Speed to the corner is more important than long speed.

There were plenty of evaluators who were pretty high on Jones, and plenty of posters here too when he was drafted, but the other thing is he got better each year for like 5 years straight.  That is impossible to scout.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Bucky Irving?

17 hours ago, Isherwood said:

Trey Benson is my guy. To me, Benson has a complete game. Maybe not elite at any one thing, but an all around player. 

He really does do everything well. Home run speed , Vision, wiggle, patience , breaks tackles 

Edited by Rainmaker90
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

I don't know where Corum will be drafted, but I like the kid.  He fits what I'm looking for in a back.  But I do want to see how he runs a 40 and I'm more interested in the first ten yard split.

I expect the numbers will be good

Blake posted a 4.4-second 40 in high school and a 4.2-second 20-yard shuttle. Those are excellent numbers. Jefferson suggests they’re nowhere close to what Blake will eventually test at the NFL Combine.

Blake has run several official 40s in the 4.3-second range since high school. He should easily post a 4.1-second shuttle. Michigan doesn’t allow players to squat heavy. But Blake casually put up 25 reps at 315 pounds this offseason. Blake wanted to keep going. The Michigan strength staff stopped him.

Behind the legendary work ethic of Michigan RB Blake Corum

• Like 1

18 hours ago, incognito_man said:

will Graham Barton last until our pick?

He screams GB OL

He would be great as a guard and has real upside. Most draft sites have him in the 32-38 pick range, so the Packers 2nd round pick (the one from the Jets) at #41, is a realistic landing spot for him. 

• Like 1