2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

28 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

A guy named Derrick Henry comes to mind.

Does he really run away from defenses though? He is fast for his size, and incredibly difficult to tackle for the guys that can catch him.  I am talking about guys that run away from defenders, like Reggie Bush kind of speed.

1 minute ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Does he really run away from defenses though? He is fast for his size, and incredibly difficult to tackle for the guys that can catch him.  I am talking about guys that run away from defenders, like Reggie Bush kind of speed.

Yes. He really does. He has elite top end speed. 

He had the 7th highest mph reached this season according to NEXT GEN stats at 21.68. He hit 21.8 a couple years ago. 

For reference the fastest Christian Watson reached (last year) is 21.72. The fastest Jayden Reed has reached is 21.52.

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Yes, he most definitely runs away from defenders once he's in the clear.  I don't know how much of his top-end speed he may have lost by now, but nobody was catching rookie Henry once he broke free from the crowd.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I know it is just highlights, so we don't see a 1 yard gain, but Allen looks fast enough here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jso-r_o2GAE

Especially for a big back.  Who is the last big back that could run away from defenses? Maybe Adrian Peterson? And he was 220.

I'm one minute into the video.  Going to tell everyone this.  I could have averaged 5.0 yards per carry on those plays against Buffalo.  @Norm probably gets 7 per carry.  

I like the quickness to and through the hole.  Can't tell the vision part, because it is just so obvious.  

Will say this....men that large shouldn't be that quick and have a little wiggle in them.

I like the quick feet. I saw a few jump cuts now.   Dude gets through the hole fast.

• Like 1

What I've noticed about Allen is that he runs lower than Dillon and legitimately trucks people and also looks like he has better acceleration and change of direction ability than Dillon as well.  Dillon just sort of "runs into" people (aside from that game his rookie year where he turbo trucked Tennessee's NT) and is far too often stopped/stood up way easier than he should be for a guy his size IMO.

Edited by MaximusGluteus
  • Like 3

I think I've seen enough of Dillon to know it's probably time to move on.  He's seen his ypc drop in each season in GB, and now we are starting to see that he's getting some wear and tear on his body.  I won't be too upset if we bring him back on a cheap deal, but I think I've seen enough to know that he's never really going to be a lead back that fits this offense to a tee.  

• Like 2

Fair enough, I was incorrect about Derrick Henry.  

What my point really was, was if you are playing a large back like that, he doesn't have to be a track star.  And Allen looks fast enough for a back of that size.  

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I'm one minute into the video.  Going to tell everyone this.  I could have averaged 5.0 yards per carry on those plays against Buffalo.  @Norm probably gets 7 per carry.  

I like the quickness to and through the hole.  Can't tell the vision part, because it is just so obvious.  

Will say this....men that large shouldn't be that quick and have a little wiggle in them.

I like the quick feet. I saw a few jump cuts now.   Dude gets through the hole fast.

The Ohio state game is muddy.  Thought that one was a pretty good rep of what he'd see for lanes in the league.

Good group of backs in that middle part of the draft. 

Dillon Johnson and Jabari Small are some early favorites of mine

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

That's explosive and powerful. Allen isn't a 1st round RB prospect, but he'll go round 3-4 and have a niche roll in the NFL. 

If that 1.49 is accurate, that would be a big difference between him and Dillon. 

EWaY2_0WsAMstft.png

Allen definitely has "run away from you" deep speed. That's not the problem with him. His COD isn't elite and he falls too easily sometimes preventing some of those home run hits. He gets banged up a lot too. The OL at Wisconsin wasn't great for him either. 

2 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

The Ohio state game is muddy.  Thought that one was a pretty good rep of what he'd see for lanes in the league.

Good group of backs in that middle part of the draft. 

Dillon Johnson and Jabari Small are some early favorites of mine

Are they supposed to be good?  😎

• Like 1

6 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Allen definitely has "run away from you" deep speed. That's not the problem with him. His COD isn't elite and he falls too easily sometimes preventing some of those home run hits. He gets banged up a lot too. The OL at Wisconsin wasn't great for him either. 

Watching the Youtube highlights on Allen is admittedly a limited sample size, but what I see from those is a slightly faster, slightly more elusive version of our AJ. Dillon. I have no idea how he had a 1.49 10 yrd split, because he sure looks slow on his get off.  But is Allen a banger? I didn't see it--though again, limited sample size. AJ Dillon is not what I would call a banger, for reasons I posted on another thread. So  why not go with a slightly lighter back, say, 230 tops, since at least he'll have more speed, elusiveness? Say a Trey Benson, FSU? Ok, maybe Benson is too rich--may go in 2nd round, but do we really need a 245+ RB if none of them are gonna be bangers (the kind who end up in wheelchairs with Dementia in their 50's) as current rules/safety protocols understandably stand? Makes more sense to me to just go with 210pnd Jones type of backup along with your 230 pnd Emanuel Lewis type, and/or something in the middle to diversify the RB unit.

Edited by DWhitehurst