2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

2 hours ago, Sandy said:

I would not be shocked to see a second round WR with this deep class, and I'm sure they have their eye on Coleman if he's available there.

Such a great year to nab a day 2 outside WR. 

While not the greatest need, I do think they would benefit having some Watson Insurance in place for the Deep Third.  Perhaps a Brenden Rice if he is there at 88? 

2 hours ago, Sandy said:

I would not be shocked to see a second round WR with this deep class, and I'm sure they have their eye on Coleman if he's available there.

I think it would need to be a situation where there is a WR sitting there in RD2 that is rated significantly higher than anyone else on Gute's board.  In this class, that doesn't seem like crazy scenario.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

The Packers have had good OL's, not great.  They have been a good pass blocking unit, but not great run blockers.   

They did a lot of things early this last season to hide the fact that the OL wasn't playing well.  Like the team as a whole they did get much better in the 2nd half of the season.

They struggle greatly converting any short yardage runs.  I'd like to see a top level OL in the group that can do both.  Easier to say than to find though.

Is GB that bad converting 3rd/4th and short rush into 1st down

2023:  3rd down and 1-3 yards to go, 38 attempts with 25 first downs. 

4th down and 1-3 yards to go, 4 attempts with 3 first downs  Total 42 attempts with 28 first down...  28 out of 42, 66.7%

Detroit

3rd and 1-3:  34 attempts, 20 firsts

4th and 1-3:  9 attempts, 8 firsts

Total 28 out of 43, 65.1%

Baltimore 

3rd and 1-3:  43 attempts, 30 firsts

4th and 1-3:  8 attempts, 7 firsts

Total 37 out of 51, 72.5%

SF

3rd and 1-3:  32 attempts, 25 firsts

4th and 1-3:  5 attempts, 3 firsts

Total 28 out of 37, 75.6%

KC

3rd and 1-3:  28 attempts, 19 firsts

4th and 1-3:  6 attempts, 5 firsts

Total 24 out of 34, 70.5%

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DWhitehurst said:

While not the greatest need, I do think they would benefit having some Watson Insurance in place for the Deep Third.  Perhaps a Brenden Rice if he is there at 88? 

I bet Rice rises through the draft process, and he's gonna be high on the Packers board for sure. 

There are levels of "different kind of guy" that you can handle.  Aaron Rodgers, Jamaal Williams, Eddie Lacy were "different kind of guys."  So were Tim Tebow, Michael Sam, and Antonio Brown.  Then you have a guy like Aaron Hernandez.  The first group are guys with different interests and personalities from your typical jock football player.  The second group are distractions looking at self promotion, and usually to a level that overshadows their ability.  The third group is an absolute horrible person.

2 hours ago, DWhitehurst said:

Victims of our own success I’m afraid there. We rolled teams without Watson pretty well. I don’t want to consider any WR until day 3. Doubs the won (triple entendre). Reed an ascending WR2. Wicks playing like a WR3 or better next year. Then Watson can be anywhere from WR1 to MVS. Leaving WR5 for anyone we should be considering drafting until 2025 and only if Watson doesn’t return. Then they’re WR4 until 2030 because I think everyone would love to keep Doubs-Reed-Wicks-Watson together down the stretch including Gute. Then you have Melton, Heath, and Dubose on dirt cheap rookie deals already for spare parts. And at least one of them looks like an NFL WR already. UDFAs.

If we’re going to keep the best four together, WR5 is going to have to be cheap forever.

1 hour ago, ChaRisMa said:

Victims of our own success I’m afraid there. We rolled teams without Watson pretty well. I don’t want to consider any WR until day 3. Doubs the won (triple entendre). Reed an ascending WR2. Wicks playing like a WR3 or better next year. Then Watson can be anywhere from WR1 to MVS. Leaving WR5 for anyone we should be considering drafting until 2025 and only if Watson doesn’t return. Then they’re WR4 until 2030 because I think everyone would love to keep Doubs-Reed-Wicks-Watson together down the stretch including Gute. Then you have Melton, Heath, and Dubose on dirt cheap rookie deals already for spare parts. And at least one of them looks like an NFL WR already. UDFAs.

If we’re going to keep the best four together, WR5 is going to have to be cheap forever.

No doubt. However, if by chance in time they determine Watson's hamstring issues prove chronic, then in actuality we are talking about a potential WR #4 or higher. As I said, I fully realize a defense stretching, safety drawing go route guy is not the greatest need, and maybe just an ideal 'want' than realistic need, but for the offense to run "optimally", you do want a WR who can threaten the deep third. Just saying it is not beyond crazy were they to take one. Do I think they will? Nope. Doubt it. But if they did, there would be logic to it, i.e., they're unsure about Watson's reliability long-term.

Edited by DWhitehurst

6 hours ago, Sandy said:

You taking snaps from Watson? Doubs? Reed? Wicks?

Just one football. We have no use for another WR early.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

I agree but Unfortunately the thought process could be taking them Watson since he’s hurt. 

Edited by Arthur Penske

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

You realize that we could have five 1,000 yard, 10 TD receivers and people would still want another receiver early, right?

I've decided to not even engage with them this year.

Doubs is a legit possession receiver.
Watson is a legit deep threat.
Reed is a legit offensive weapon.
Wicks is a legit strong potential all around receiver.

Then we've got two extremely promising tight ends in one of the best tight end classes of all time.

And they are STILL going to want a receiver high.

Reed just had 20 more receptions on 10 less targets than Jennings' rookie year. 160 more yards. 5 more touchdowns. Wicks had 6 less receptions, 50 less yards and 1 more touchdown on 46 less targets.

And out of Nelson, Jones, Adams, Cobb, Jennings had the best rookie year.

They don't understand the concept of snaps. They never will.

The Packers receiving corps is cheaper and more promising than any other receiving corps in the NFL. There isn't a single receiver there that hasn't flashed loads of potential.

Not a single first round pick between them. This current receiving corps is proof of MaCreadyism on the WR theory.

Considering our new defensive coordinator, this is the first year since the end of our Super Bowl win I won't be upset with an offensive player in round one.

I would be extremely excited with a first round defender as I am every year, but I'd love to see us take Dillon's replacement or an OL with our first.

Assuming we stick with 25th overall, I wouldn't even care if we drafted an IOL. But preferably an OT who might get thrown inside depending on the competition.

20 minutes ago, MacReady said:

Considering our new defensive coordinator, this is the first year since the end of our Super Bowl win I won't be upset with an offensive player in round one.

I would be extremely excited with a first round defender as I am every year, but I'd love to see us take Dillon's replacement or an OL with our first.

Assuming we stick with 25th overall, I wouldn't even care if we drafted an IOL. But preferably an OT who might get thrown inside depending on the competition.

Don't think there's a RB in this draft worth a 1st round pick. Not even sure about 2nd round. An OL who might have a 1st round grade with 5 position flexibility is Graham Barton of Duke. Started his career at C before moving to LT. Could challenge Myers at C, move into RG, or become swing tackle as a rookie. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, MacReady said:

You realize that we could have five 1,000 yard, 10 TD receivers and people would still want another receiver early, right?

I've decided to not even engage with them this year.

Doubs is a legit possession receiver.
Watson is a legit deep threat.
Reed is a legit offensive weapon.
Wicks is a legit strong potential all around receiver.

Then we've got two extremely promising tight ends in one of the best tight end classes of all time.

And they are STILL going to want a receiver high.

Reed just had 20 more receptions on 10 less targets than Jennings' rookie year. 160 more yards. 5 more touchdowns. Wicks had 6 less receptions, 50 less yards and 1 more touchdown on 46 less targets.

And out of Nelson, Jones, Adams, Cobb, Jennings had the best rookie year.

They don't understand the concept of snaps. They never will.

The Packers receiving corps is cheaper and more promising than any other receiving corps in the NFL. There isn't a single receiver there that hasn't flashed loads of potential.

Not a single first round pick between them. This current receiving corps is proof of MaCreadyism on the WR theory.

So when do you start drafting their replacements?

31 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

So when do you start drafting their replacements?

Depends on what level MacReadyism you're at and what you think of your receivers.

Lots of routes you can take. If you've got an elite one, you can re-sign one of them. Can always afford to re-sign one of your own.

Unless the player and the person are elite, you take 4th and 5th round flyers three years before. If none of them hit, you use 2nd and 3rd rounders two years before.

It all depends on which receivers you have at 1, 2, 3 and 4.

We've got probably two re-signable receivers right now. One of Doubs/Watson (whichever doesn't play himself out of a second contract by working up to a second contract beyond what they're worth) and Reed.

I wouldn't draft another receiver before the 5th round for two years.