2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

46 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Measurements of a Packer fit.

Might not be guard-only as some pundits projected. Real swing potential there. Interested to see where his RAS lies.

Right now, for me, a short, vague mock off-season:

Cut Bakh and Campbell.

Sign two starting safeties, a starting LB and a time-share back in FA.

Extend Love, Clark and Jones to lower cap hits. EDIT: Love's will actually increase by $10m but s'all good the math checks out #trustme

Draft: 

25 - looks like a great spot for a corner

41: should be a great spot for OL

56: we no longer have needs, BPA probably from someone who fell in this WR class or we pick our favorite of the RB class. Could be an Edge that falls here too, but there's really not that many good ones this year.  Same with LB or S, doubt the good ones make it here. Could still be great value at OL perhaps. 

Edited by Sandy
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

John Ross busted because he sucked at football. You cannot say the same thing about this kid and be taken seriously. 

John Ross was actually more productive than Xavier Worthy was their final years in college.  Nobody would have flinched if Ross was taken later in the draft, but because the Bengals grabbed him at 9 it was a massive surprise.

1 hour ago, HokieHigh said:

I like a lot of guys who will go in that 30-40 pick range. It really is a bummer how many games the jets won this year! Id be looking to get 36 and 40 from washington. 

Im probably trading down. This draft class is one to remember at rb, wr, and cb imo. 

Yep, make sure no top prospect slips to 25, then move back.

Edited by NFLGURU

26 minutes ago, Sandy said:

Might not be guard-only as some pundits projected

I think basically every OL that pundits say "might have to move inside to guard" is someone the Packers are going to look at as a Tackle.  LIke this was a label applied to Bulaga, Bakhtiari, Jenkins, Tom, etc.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

because the Bengals grabbed him at 9 it was a massive surprise.

As I recall, that move was motivated in part by WR scarcity in that draft.  He was the third WR taken in the top 10 and the next WR taken didn't go for nearly 30 picks.

• Like 1

Rome Odunze put on a show at NFL combine, then did something rarely ever seen (msn.com)

Cool article about Odunze.   Outside of RAS and the rest of the conversation - just speaks to his desire to compete and be great.     

Lots of talk about his vertical game.     One of the real strengths of Odunze is not just his speed (a 4.45 being plenty fast as a vertical threat btw) but his ability to track the ball and his late hands on the reception.    Two traits way more important than pure speed imo.    It's one thing to be a 4.33 guy with suspect hands and call him your "vertical threat" (MVS) but I'll take the 4.45 guy that can routinely track and catch the deep ball as a more dangerous player and more of a "vertical threat".

As for speed-

DeAndre Hopkins ran a 4.57 and at age 31 just came off a 75 catch 1000-yard season 14.1avg/catch season.   He's not faster than his 4.57 in his 11th season in the league

Keenan Allen is one of the most prolific receivers in the NFL and he ran a 4.71 and 4.75!!!  at his Pro Day.

Mike Evans ran a 4.53, has 10 straight 1000 yard seasons with a career 15.3 ypc avg.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Good weight for Morgan. 

Ooh -  Those arms are 1/8" too short.   Completely unacceptable.    He and Barton have to be removed from the board and I would think border now on undraftable.

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

You can probably ignore guys over 320 though. Packers haven't drafted any OL guys over that threshold. Whether that's a rule or just coincidence idk. 

We have brought in some undrafted and free agent giants, though so I don’t think we are completely against the idea. I believe they have certain agility thresholds at least for premium pick guys so most of the yetis don’t fit that description. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Cooper Beebe has made a ton of money today, waaaay more athletic than anticipated. 

Yeah this one was surprising for the brick he is. I hadnt watched much because hes such a tanky guard. The short arms are still there, but probably worth it to turn on some KState offense 

2 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

As I recall, that move was motivated in part by WR scarcity in that draft.  He was the third WR taken in the top 10 and the next WR taken didn't go for nearly 30 picks.

Ross was a very good college WR.  Had a lot of hamstring problems.  He was a major part in getting UW to the playoffs his last year there.  He was too small and fragile for the NFL.  The Bengals wanted to put him opposite of AJ Green and didn't work out.  Ive never seen DBs 10-12 yards off the ball consistently like I did with Ross in college.  He put the fear in a lot of defenses in college.   The NFL is a much different game and wasn't built for it.