2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

Just now, Zycho32 said:

Question; if we let Campbell go, who's picking up the radio dot for the D this year? Do we trust Walker with it? Do we look for some kinda bargain in FA- ideally under 10 mil- for a short-term solution? Am I overrating the function of the radio?

Isn't Quay set to be the WILL?  Or am I imagining things?

4 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I thought I read the Packers are about to lose potentially 17-18 or so players this offseason? If that's the case GB will absolutely need many draft picks and some free agents just to fill the roster. 

They have that many guys set to become free agents. So do most teams. Many of those will likely be re-signed to low-level contracts. 

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Isn't Quay set to be the WILL?  Or am I imagining things?

One would think so, but we might need a MIKE, right?

And I just realized that this is only half-relevant to the topic. Add on an extra question; any LBers in this draft class look like they could pick up the radio Day 1?

23 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I thought I read the Packers are about to lose potentially 17-18 or so players this offseason? If that's the case GB will absolutely need many draft picks and some free agents just to fill the roster. 

Yes, you create depth by having competition at the most spots. the more credible a battle is between a rookie and a more established guy, the better your depth gets, be it starters, backups, role players, or Special Teamers. It's not that we don't have guys now (though of course there are some holes), but good competition is there to find better starters, better backups. 

Or to put it another way, the stronger your weakest player is, the better the overall roster.

4 hours ago, MacReady said:

Packers just had two massive production campaigns from rookie receivers along with 1,000 yards and 13 touchdowns total from two promising second year receivers and flashes of potential from two undrafted receivers along with two of the most promising tight ends in an all-time great TE class and morons are STILL mocking first round receivers to the Packers.

This year, the popular position to draft for the Packers has tended to be OTs. They (the Packers) might go there, but with the top 5 OTs probably off the board already, they might not. CB/S DeJean is another favourite, though some big boards have him as a top ten pick (which seems just too rich). What I don't see so much, is mocks selecting (at #25) an Edge or a D lineman, or an IOL not named Powers-Johnson and that is very possible.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Zycho32 said:

Question; if we let Campbell go, who's picking up the radio dot for the D this year? Do we trust Walker with it? Do we look for some kinda bargain in FA- ideally under 10 mil- for a short-term solution? Am I overrating the function of the radio?

No chance that is overrated!!   My understanding is anyone that can use the radio for close to 10 yrs gets a straight shot to Packers Hall of Fame.

j/k people. j/k

38 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

Quay played the most snaps of anyone on defense last year. He would seem to be the natural choice for the radio. 

There has been some chatter about keeping things simple for him so he can hopefully play faster.  

I don't know that the keeping things simple chatter has been directed at Quay specifically.  It seems like the simplicity of Hafley's scheme is more of a general talking point.

1 hour ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

41 or 58 ?

Does it make a difference how you feel about it?

I would be excited either way. Would spell wyatt quite well i think. Looks pretty lean and quick.

from the highlight reel footage ... a few of his impact plays were gimmes, but seems like he does a good job splitting the gap of a double team or dodging reach blocks. 

Maybe not quite as powerful as I would like yet but I think that will develop. 

2 hours ago, HokieHigh said:

ruke orhorho in rd2. DISCUSS

He's raw and a project.  Not all that good at football right now.  A lot of the time he just kind of runs into the OL and sits there because he doesn't know what to do.  He gets washed out on combo blocks fairly easily and his ball awareness isn't always the greatest, but again, he's raw.  While he doesn't have a pair of Saturn V rockets up his *** like Braden Fiske does, he's not lacking in effort.  There's definitely something to work with but it all depends on how coachable he is.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2024 at 2:40 PM, Zycho32 said:

One would think so, but we might need a MIKE, right?

And I just realized that this is only half-relevant to the topic. Add on an extra question; any LBers in this draft class look like they could pick up the radio Day 1?

Trotter maybe…..  football gene thing….

• Like 1