2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

1 minute ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

A lot of mock sites struggle with Packer picks. It was always an OT in previous months but lately it is usually CB/S DeJean.

If  DL Byron Murphy (who often seems to drop to 25) is gone, along with 5-6 OTs gone and the top 4 CBs (including DeJean) off the board and no Powers-Johnson either, which seems very possible, then apart from Graham Barton I'm not sure who the Packers pick.

I would agree that on paper there's definitely a shortage of potential defensive players who really fit the GB profiles we look for (size, athletic testing, etc.). I think you can all but rule out LB and S in the 1st round and the DL/EDGE is hurting for players who fit the Packers' typical 1st round preferences. 

OL stands out in terms of a group of potential players, however, GB hasn't gone OL in the 1st round in a while, tends to like to find guys later in the draft, and this draft is deep on the OL in the mid-rounds. 

22 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

A lot of mock sites struggle with Packer picks. It always defaulted to an OT in previous months (because Bakhtiari) but lately it is usually CB/S DeJean.

If  DL Byron Murphy (who often seems to drop to 25) is gone, along with 5-6 OTs gone and the top 4 CBs (including DeJean) off the board and no Powers-Johnson either, which seems very possible, then apart from Graham Barton I'm not sure who the Packer's pick is. I guess DL Jer'Zhan Newton is in play, maybe Edge Chop Robinson, if the Packers are not that concerned about having a 250lb edge.

I'd be fine with a trade down, but that means finding a fair deal with someone who wants to come up, which is never a sure thing, or even close to that.

Newton is probably pretty high on the Packers board. 

• Like 2

Don't want Mims. Not reliable, played about half the snaps each year that other prospects have. Plus, he's too big for the profile of Packers draft history. We've taken fliers on huge guys later on, but the usual size is 6'5 315. Tom was a tish smaller.  

I'm sticking with Barton for now.  

Bakh Gone

Runyan Gone

Nijman Gone

Newman????

Barton isn't a crowd pleaser pick, but could really add to the OL if he's there.  He's versatile and in a OL room that needs some upgrading.

I like DeJean, but I think he's gone by 25.

Edited by NFLGURU
  • Like 2

If DeJean is available at 25 I see no reason other than his leg injury why we shouldn’t draft him.

An elite special teams player who can play for 10 years is worth 25th overall. That’s his floor.

An average safety/slot DB over ten years  is worth a top 16 pick. That’s his mid.

Dude could be an elite safety and I think people are underselling his intelligence and athleticism. Those two things in a secondary are the types of things that elevate the rest of the secondary.

He’s a QB on defense. Not a QB of the defense, but he’s a QB who happens to play defense.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MacReady said:

If DeJean is available at 25 I see no reason other than his leg injury why we shouldn’t draft him.

An elite special teams player who can play for 10 years is worth 25th overall. That’s his floor.

An average safety/slot DB over ten years  is worth a top 16 pick. That’s his mid.

Dude could be an elite safety and I think people are underselling his intelligence and athleticism. Those two things in a secondary are the types of things that elevate the rest of the secondary.

He’s a QB on defense. Not a QB of the defense, but he’s a QB who happens to play defense.

Yea when it's all said and done, if DeJean is there at 25, he's probably the smart pick. Still want to see him run on April 15. 

I guess DeJean may have been the secret reason we got rid of Jones, so he could get #33. After all, #3 is retired. I wondered how he'd look with #43, and I can't even remember the last guy who wore that number for this team.

2 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

A lot of mock sites struggle with Packer picks. It always defaulted to an OT in previous months (because Bakhtiari) but lately it is usually CB/S DeJean.

If  DL Byron Murphy (who often seems to drop to 25) is gone, along with 5-6 OTs gone and the top 4 CBs (including DeJean) off the board and no Powers-Johnson either, which seems very possible, then apart from Graham Barton I'm not sure who the Packer's pick is. I guess DL Jer'Zhan Newton is in play, maybe Edge Chop Robinson, if the Packers are not that concerned about having a 250lb edge.

I'd be fine with a trade down, but that means finding a fair deal with someone who wants to come up, which is never a sure thing, or even close to that.

2 hours ago, R T said:

Newton is probably pretty high on the Packers board. 

Imagine a world in which you are not really forced to do a third deal with Clark because you have Newton on a rookie deal.

It makes me smile.

And I love me some KC.  But moving on from him is oh so much easier when you have a young talent like Newton coming up in the system.

(Not to mention Slaton, Wyatt and Brooks)

Ah.  A guy can dream.

• Like 1