2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

5 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Things I think I know....

The best safety in this class is DeJean.  And it isn't even close.

After that?  Throw all the pro day and combine testing out the window.  Look at the tape and trust what the scouts say.

I still like Nubin best, but I'm not going to fight anyone over that statement.

This^

Don't see the Packers drafting Nubin or Kinchens unless they fall way down like the 5th or lower round.   Those RAS scores are atrocious and I know its not everything but those are really bad.

I could see a very slight trade up to the 21/22 range for DeJean.  Just feels like a long term solid football player.  I think his ceiling could be pretty high.  Curious to see what does if he tests in April.  I like him but the Packers may have different plans.

Edited by NFLGURU

4 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

Is this guy on draft boards?

As a freshman at Alabama, Alfano was absent from class and practices in September for unspecified reasons, though Alfano's father tweeted that his absence may have stemmed from Alfano's grandmother, who had been in ill-health at the time.[6] Alfano entered the NCAA transfer portal on September 13, 2019, and Colorado Buffaloes head coach (and former Alabama Crimson Tide defensive backs coach) Mel Tucker announced that Alfano had transferred to Colorado on November 4, 2019.[7] Alabama head coach Nick Saban addressed Alfano's time with the team by saying Alfano, "basically quit."[8] He did not play any games for the Crimson Tide.[9]

Buffaloes head coach Mel Tucker had previously recruited Alfano to Georgia, where Tucker was the Defensive Coordinator at the time.[10] One month after Alfano officially enrolled at Colorado, Buffaloes head coach Mel Tucker left the program to take the same position at Michigan State University, while Alfano's position coach at Colorado, Jimmy Brumbaugh, also left the program the same week to take a coaching job at the University of Tennessee.[11] On May 29, 2020, it was reported that Alfano was no longer enrolled at Colorado and no longer a member of the football team.[12] As of August 19, 2020, Alfano was reinstated to the football team.[13][14]

GJM3AldXUAAeq6J?format=jpg&name=medium

I lowkey forgot about Alfano. He bounced around quite a bit.  Interesting to see a RAS score when I never even heard of he saw the field in any of his other stops. He's a vastly more ambitious reclamation project than Brenton Cox, Jr. 

DeJean played exactly 1 snap at safety for Iowa.  Anybody saying he's the best safety in the class is engaging purely in projection.  Now sometimes projection is correct, but it's also not something you should be entirely confident in.

Where DeJean has value for the Packers is not "you can pencil him in at safety from day 1 and he'll be great" it's that you can figure out where he fits best with the other guys in which formations.  But it's also entirely possible he's a better outside corner than a safety.

8 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

DeJean played exactly 1 snap at safety for Iowa.  Anybody saying he's the best safety in the class is engaging purely in projection.  Now sometimes projection is correct, but it's also not something you should be entirely confident in.

Where DeJean has value for the Packers is not "you can pencil him in at safety from day 1 and he'll be great" it's that you can figure out where he fits best with the other guys in which formations.  But it's also entirely possible he's a better outside corner than a safety.

I think it's slot CB play as more of a "big nickle" look that people envision.

1 hour ago, CrazyJoeDavola said:

And JD Bertrand.

Also, word is Estime rand 4.56-4.59 improving the 4.70 from the combine.

About 4.6 is where you would guess Estime would run if you watch him play.  I think he was definitely one that was faster than he timed, just like Kinchins at safety..  I went back and looked at both of them after slow 40 times.  I didn't think either were speed demons to begin with, but neither looked "too slow" by my eye.  The one that gave me more pause than any of them was Blake Corum not running sub 4.5.  

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

About 4.6 is where you would guess Estime would run if you watch him play.  I think he was definitely one that was faster than he timed, just like Kinchins at safety..  I went back and looked at both of them after slow 40 times.  I didn't think either were speed demons to begin with, but neither looked "too slow" by my eye.  The one that gave me more pause than any of them was Blake Corum not running sub 4.5.  

Estime seemed more quick than fast when I watch him. He gets up to top speed quick and seems to have good feet for a big guy. I don't see him ending up in GB with Jacobs and Dillon both on board now. Corum was surprising too. But I was never a fan of his either. 

Cooper DeJean will definitely begin as the nickel corner if we draft him. *maybe* he becomes a safety later in his career, but NFL teams are always going to try to get the player to stick at corner over safety, as corner is more valuable 

7 hours ago, wgbeethree said:

I've always thought it was weird that with the technology we have that teams would still use a stop watch.

There's got to be better ways. 

Why not use HD cameras, record it, count the frames from start to finish and have an accurate time within a hundredth of a second and no hand timed variation?

Because the 40 time within a 0.10 isn't a big deal to the teams. Fans on the other hand make a big deal out of it.

41 minutes ago, R T said:

Because the 40 time within a 0.10 isn't a big deal to the teams. Fans on the other hand make a big deal out of it.

Depends on the position.  .1 of a second is a pretty big deal.  Especially at CB and WR.  In the trenches maybe not so much.  Will say though seems every year a player gets over drafted because of speed.  They have to be good football players too.  Sometimes GM's forget that. 

4 hours ago, CrazyJoeDavola said:

Estime seemed more quick than fast when I watch him. He gets up to top speed quick and seems to have good feet for a big guy. I don't see him ending up in GB with Jacobs and Dillon both on board now. Corum was surprising too. But I was never a fan of his either. 

Once Dillon was retained, I lost all interest in Estime and Allen for the Packers.   We currently have 4 backs, the lightest is 220 pounds.  I personally like having a diversified group of WRs and RBs.  So I would like a quicker, smaller back to add to the mix.  You can open a can with a hammer, you can also drive a nail with a can opener, but if you have the proper tool for the job, it is easier.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, persiandud said:

Cooper DeJean will definitely begin as the nickel corner if we draft him. *maybe* he becomes a safety later in his career, but NFL teams are always going to try to get the player to stick at corner over safety, as corner is more valuable 

I am not certain that is the case on this team, with this DC, when a single high safety seems to be a key part of his defensive strategy. It isn't isn't easy to find guys that can play that position well and the harder it is to find that guy, the more value he has. 

Corner has traditionally been more valuable, but here and now I am not so sure that is the case for the Packers. Can McKinney play single high at an NFL level ?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sgtcheezwiz said:

Christian Haynes has very similar RAS as Elgton Jenkins

Good player. Had him in a few mocks. Likely a 2nd rounder and definitely a guy to watch if we go IOL there. 

• Like 2