2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

21 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

You know I'm with you concerning Melton.  

Just wanted to say this....you gotta loves that kid's passion when he got opportunity last year.  It meant something to him.  It was great to see and he's a very, very easy kid to root for.  I hope he makes it and makes it big.

I love the kid and hope he blows up this year. Just can't make the leap the OP was making as it pertains to the kid we've seen so far. 

I like him so much I'd love to draft his brother. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

While looking through, I was more impressed by the bad RB class than the bad S class.  But there are players to be had.  I do wish we had a little more info on the defense to really predict the players that Hafley would want.  

The position that had the fewest prospects that I like, was ILB

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

There isn't anywhere near enough data to prove anything. Its a feeling as much as anything, admittedly that is likely to be coloured by my own dislike of guys that I believe are too tall or too heavy. In this draft I'd be wary of Alt, Latham, Mims, Guyton, Paul, who are all either 6'8" or more, or 340 lbs or more, or both. All these guys are probably 1st or 2nd round picks (Paul might just fall into round 3). For the same reason I wouldn't be interested in DT Sweat in round 2.

I don't disagree with you there.  I think a guy like Dwight Freeney or even Clay Matthews would give these guys fits.  

But I do love finding patterns.  And I am just not sure that the OL height and weight thing follows a draft tendency the way CB and WR height and weight seem to. 

1 minute ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

The position that had the fewest prospects that I like, was ILB

I am with you there.  I also don't feel like this draft has the elite pass rushers that have been in recent drafts.  

10 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

If we get Verse at 25, the pants come off. 

Is he projected to go higher? Just watched some highlights...and the wonder of highlights confirmed, I've come away with good thoughts.

13 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

If you were the Vikings, wouldn't you be pissed? They get a pass rusher with a bad neck and QB5?  I wouldn't be happy at all. 

1 minute ago, ThatJerkDave said:

If you were the Vikings, wouldn't you be pissed? They get a pass rusher with a bad neck and QB5?  I wouldn't be happy at all. 

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!  :)

3 hours ago, Old Guy said:

"a place in the league," is a lot different than, "could start for a lot of teams!" 

You and Vegas dissing my boy.  Fighting words your dirty rats.   Dude can play and he proved it.  You don't think he could come in and immediately start for the Patriots?  I do.  Bothers me when guys are discounted because of their draft status.  See the same thing going on with Walker.  It doesn't matter where they were taken.  Can't let it color your judgement.  When Melton got his opportunity he was lights out.  Hopefully he'll get more opportunities this year but will be tough to get on the field with Watson, Reed, Wicks, and Doubs in front of him.  

5'11" runs a 4.34 40.  Ras 9.29.  Good hands.  Nice run after the catch ability.  If he was a 2nd rounder you guys would be singing a different tune. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Interesting that Cooper DeJean doesn't go in the 1st round of their mock. 

8 hours ago, vegas492 said:

No.  It is not.

The Eagles WR room is far superior to ours, just look at the production that they have gotten from Brown and Smith.  Real, honest and goodness production.

Ours has potential.  But it has not produced yet.  Not at any level like Brown or Smith.

So, our WR room has more potential than the Eagles is a statement I can get behind.

Production is backwards looking. This is footballs future.

Almost always fans are wayyyyyy behind reality when discussing "who is better now" because they rely almost exclusively on stats. Which necessarily happened in the past. 

Production is wildly overrated when gauging who is better today.

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

?

I like the kid, Melton.  No issue with him.

But aren't we getting like waaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy ahead of ourselves here?  The guy played in 5 games, starting in 1.  24 targets, 16 catches 218 yards 1 TD.

And there is talk about him starting on some teams?  Can we wait until he hits playing in 12 games while getting to 500 yards in a season before we anoint him as a "starter"?

Jeff Janis had a great one game, too.  

it was a small sample size, but Bo Melton was very effective with  2.79 yards per route run. 

Melton would have a chance to start/be a consistent snap WR (3rd WR) on BUF, NE, NYJ, Pitt, TEN, INDY, JAX, KC, LV, LAC, DEN, NYG, MIN, CHI, NO, CAR, ARI

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

You and Vegas dissing my boy.  Fighting words your dirty rats.   Dude can play and he proved it.  You don't think he could come in and immediately start for the Patriots?  I do.  Bothers me when guys are discounted because of their draft status.  See the same thing going on with Walker.  It doesn't matter where they were taken.  Can't let it color your judgement.  When Melton got his opportunity he was lights out.  Hopefully he'll get more opportunities this year but will be tough to get on the field with Watson, Reed, Wicks, and Doubs in front of him.  

5'11" runs a 4.34 40.  Ras 9.29.  Good hands.  Nice run after the catch ability.  If he was a 2nd rounder you guys would be singing a different tune. 

He was sixth on the depth chart, he will go into camp 6th on the depth chart. He wasn't a six round pick because he didn't put it on tape, in spite of his athletic prowess. 

Hope the kid develops into an absolute stud, but he's not starting material for many teams in the NFL going into TC. Sorry, that is an exaggeration.