2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

4 minutes ago, Leader said:

The critical data is breaking now....

It's like QB Will Levis who puts mayo in his coffee and uses it like creamer.       That should have put him on the UDFA list

44 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

tbh I would be more upset if Brian Thomas Jr is there at 25 and we don't take him. 

I think the impact there would be outstanding assuming he's healthy.  The things you could do on offense is endless adding him on the outside.  Two 6'4 4.3 WRs on the outside opens a buffet for Love with Doubs/Wicks/Reed working the middle.

Gotta be realistic though, Gute doesn't take WRs in the first round even in years when we REALLY needed one. 

At #25, I'd make the exception here, and give Jordan Love a really eye opening offense for the NFL to worry about for the coming years.  

Gute probably has other ideas, and that's OK.  I trust he'll get a good football player.  Lots of ways they could go at #25.

10 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

I think the impact there would be outstanding assuming he's healthy.  The things you could do on offense is endless adding him on the outside.  Two 6'4 4.3 WRs on the outside opens a buffet for Love with Doubs/Wicks/Reed working the middle.

Gotta be realistic though, Gute doesn't take WRs in the first round even in years when we REALLY needed one. 

At #25, I'd make the exception here, and give Jordan Love a really eye opening offense for the NFL to worry about for the coming years.  

Gute probably has other ideas, and that's OK.  I trust he'll get a good football player.  Lots of ways they could go at #25.

He took Watson at #34. I doubt he would have had a problem taking him at #28 if Wyatt hadn't been available.

20 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

I am kind of hoping that the antiquated view of not taking a WR in the first is on its way out, we just haven't had the opportunity to take one yet. All the rumours were that we loved Aiyuk had Love not been available. WIth the cost of WRs skyrocketing it is now a benefit to have them on a rookie deal.

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

A lot of organizations believe in giving your new coordinator the first pick as a boost to help him start crafting his own unit. 

The more I look at this thing, the more I grow convinced that it's either Secondary or OT with that first pick. 

I'm expecting the first pick to be a DB.

20 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

I am kind of hoping that the antiquated view of not taking a WR in the first is on its way out, we just haven't had the opportunity to take one yet. All the rumours were that we loved Aiyuk had Love not been available. WIth the cost of WRs skyrocketing it is now a benefit to have them on a rookie deal.

It is a benefit to having players on rookie contracts, WR included.  GB has like 6 of them.  

Well, if it wasn’t smoke season before, Draft Day’s Eve should have enough hot takes and “absolutely certain draft intel” to put April Fool’s to shame. One year I want to actually go back and fact check the smoke but I’m always way to captivated by the shiny new toys to worry about who said what nonsense right before the exact opposite happened. Let’s all enjoy the show but not bite too hard at the bait. 

1 hour ago, NFLGURU said:

If there was a guy you thought was generationally good at WR, you might take him at 25 but you can likely get a guy in the 2nd or 3rd that can develop into a very good WR, which is who you likely find at 25. Don’t underestimate how good Love could be and how well his development would be facilitated if he had one of the best O lines in the game. If we use this draft to stack a few starters for now and the future there, we can find the skill players to make it work and indeed already have a few. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JBURGE said:

lol. How is it an antiquated view when the Packers have been the most consistent team in the NFL at having elite receivers without spending a single first round pick on one?

Driver to Jennings to Nelson to Adams to Wicks/Reed/Doubs/Watson.

And now you think it’s antiquated?

When we have like four extremely promising prospects not only on rookie deals, but on rookie 2nd, 3rd and beyond round deals.

Edited by MacReady
  • Like 1

Every year, I brace for the Steelers or Eagles to take the players I want GB to draft. 

Hopefully they have other needs, but I could see them taking DeJean and Barton with their picks and the remaining options feeling like reaches at 25.

5 minutes ago, ReasonablySober said:

The Lions just gave one of those "2nd or 3rd that can develop into a very good WR" guys a record breaking deal. 

I don't think it would be the worst idea in the world to grab a WR at #25 and have a guy on a five year deal.

Or you just keep drafting guys and getting compensatory picks all the time and keep doing that and use first round picks on other positions and always pay your WRs the cost of one okay one.