2023 Overall Draft Thoughts

dll2000

9 hours ago, SLCbear said:

No, merely not calling designed runs does not  'avoid' all the contact JF absorbs throughout the course of a game

Of course JF is better Sherlock  and its best to have it in his hands  but if there is a way to move the chains, tire a D and have JF off the field from time to time, why not implement something ? We have to protect JF and missing plays adds up over the years.. 

How is this such a foreign concept  ??

Wait, less designed runs for Fields wouldn’t reduce the number of hits he takes, but taking him off the field so someone else can run the ball from the QB position does? You’re serious with this? Do you not see the hole in your train of thought? Also, why not just run the ball behind a good run blocking OL with what should be a strong group of RBs without removing your true passing threat from the field? Even if you think Roschon getting those snaps at QB is a good idea (and we obviously couldn’t see that more differently), isn’t running the ball with someone other than Fields without removing Fields’ threat as a passer a better idea? 

9 hours ago, SLCbear said:

I am not following your logic 'it's exactly the opposite'. How ? Why couldn't Roschon do any of what you are saying (college option qb)  Hill does for  NO  ?? 

Because Roschon isn’t a QB. He has never played QB post-HS. Ever. He threw 2 passes for 2 total yards in 4 seasons at Texas. Both can run the ball. Only one can pass with anything resembling some kind of competence. Roschon got drafted because he’s good at playing RB, whereas he didn’t play QB at Texas because he wasn’t good enough at playing QB to do so. The Bears didn’t draft him to be the next Taysom Hill - they want him to be the next David Montgomery. 

8 hours ago, SLCbear said:

Schitts Creek Ok GIF by CBC

RJ was recruited and given a scholarship  to play qb for the the Texas  Longhorns, practiced and developed some  there, where did DRob play QB 

DRob played QB in HS. Once he got beyond HS he stopped because he wasn’t good enough to play it beyond HS. Same as Roschon.

D971-F0-C6-44-D6-4-BEE-8-A7-D-441025-E01

8 hours ago, SLCbear said:

RJ is a special human being. 

We are going to want him on the field as much as possible, he is elite of the elite is pass pro and catch passes like a receiver  

If he can lead a successful designed package from time to time and give JF plays off  that's just smart 

Outside of late career Brees (whose arm was shot by then), what QBs take plays off? Even the run first QBs like Lamar and Newton don’t take plays off. The gimmicky **** is for teams who don’t have a QB. You wanna give Fields a break from getting hit? Hand the ball off to capable RBs. Like we expect Roschon to be. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Outside of late career Brees (whose arm was shot by then), what QBs take plays off? Even the run first QBs like Lamar and Newton don’t take plays off. The gimmicky **** is for teams who don’t have a QB. You wanna give Fields a break from getting hit? Hand the ball off to capable RBs. Like we expect Roschon to be. 

While I agree with the sentiment generally speaking.....  I wouldn't mind having the WC package for the few instances where Fields does need a break.....

SPECIFICALLY, when he's using/overusing his legs as a runner and burning himself out. I'd trust that more than  our backup QBs, tbh.....

I'd also not be shocked we had some trick plays that involved Fields being a viable receiving target, at his size and speed.

So yeah, my $0.02 is we should have a package for it, and maybe a few plays..... but I'd largely also say that we should also be trying to cut how much Fields is running by a sizable margin, which should dramatically reduce the need to try and get cute..... especially when we've basically got 3 running backs now and could probably run the ball 40x a game comfortably if we really had to.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Epyon said:

While I agree with the sentiment generally speaking.....  I wouldn't mind having the WC package for the few instances where Fields does need a break.....

SPECIFICALLY, when he's using/overusing his legs as a runner and burning himself out. I'd trust that more than  our backup QBs, tbh.....

I'd also not be shocked we had some trick plays that involved Fields being a viable receiving target, at his size and speed.

So yeah, my $0.02 is we should have a package for it, and maybe a few plays..... but I'd largely also say that we should also be trying to cut how much Fields is running by a sizable margin, which should dramatically reduce the need to try and get cute..... especially when we've basically got 3 running backs now and could probably run the ball 40x a game comfortably if we really had to.

surprise wtf GIF

You wouldn't be shocked to see Fields line up at WR and catch passes? That makes one of you

Edited by beardown3231
  • Like 1

Look, if Johnson could play option QB in the NFL he would OBVIOUSLY have been doing it in college. He's clearly a much better runner than Ewers and Card so if he was even a mediocre passer at that level, why wouldn't Texas have him and Bijan on the field all the time? They weren't even a top 50 program in passing, and everyone knew the offense revolved around Bijan and Johnson, so why wouldn't they just go off it and get the best duo on the field as often as they could? Because he wasn't a college level QB as a passer.

Now I could 100% see some HB pass plays each season to try and keep the safeties from crowding up. I could see Fields getting one of those (if Brady and Foles can, Fields 100% could). But those are gimmick plays, and any that puts Fields in danger needs to 100% be when a game is crucial imo. Not as a standard part of an offense to be done every week or two.

• Like 2

Dude you’re going to turn the fan base against RoJo. Just leave it. He is a special person and I think you’re team is already in love with him. Should be the third down back from day one and contribute on special teams with the chance to increase his role in the offense as the season goes on.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

Dude you’re going to turn the fan base against RoJo. Just leave it. He is a special person and I think you’re team is already in love with him. Should be the third down back from day one and contribute on special teams with the chance to increase his role in the offense as the season goes on.

I really don't know how you can expect any more out of a 4th round draft pick, yes he can be more but he is not there yet.

On 5/6/2023 at 9:59 PM, AZBearsFan said:

Wait, less designed runs for Fields wouldn’t reduce the number of hits he takes, but taking him off the field so someone else can run the ball from the QB position does? You’re serious with this? Do you not see the hole in your train of thought? 

If JF is off the field he cannot try and carry everything when the play breaks down nor will he be the one making the play in the first place  ...zero chance of getting hit 

Because Roschon isn’t a QB. He has never played QB post-HS. Ever. He threw 2 passes for 2 total yards in 4 seasons at Texas. Both can run the ball. Only one can pass with anything resembling some kind of competence. Roschon got drafted because he’s good at playing RB, whereas he didn’t play QB at Texas because he wasn’t good enough at playing QB to do so. The Bears didn’t draft him to be the next Taysom Hill - they want him to be the next David Montgomery. 

No one knows what Roschon could've done as a QB at Texas. We do know that he was ranked as the #2 dual threat QB in the country and given a scholarship to play QB. We also know that he practiced  and developed some there as a QB  until a greater RB need took RJ onto a different path and trajectory 

Comparing Robinson to RJ as a qb is silly and you're embarrassing yourself  bc Rob would never EVER get recruited as a QB to a major program like Texas 🙄  

We didn’t draft him to be the next Taysom Hill - they want him to be the next David Montgomery. 

I never said that we drafted him to be Taysom Hill, I am only suggesting that RJ is special and has some legit QB skills to help strengthen  an offensive package that allows for our franchise QB to play his style AND have some plays off.

why are you only willing to see and accept what has already been done by other NFL teams  ?  If we are lucky, we will have about 8 more seasons of JF, he is a special runner and will take many more chances and subsequent hits than his peers ...why not take a different approach and work to counter this reality  

Look at Lamar, dude already misses  so many games, misses playoff games ...JF is bigger and stronger and built better but hit after hit will take its toll.

I see a guy like RJ and think about using him for this purpose because he is that special. A beefed up option package that gets JF off the field some and maybe RJ can use his qb skills and throw a pass from time to time. I think that your interpretation of what I am suggesting and is far more extreme that what I am actually saying...

Monty ran the wildcat w JF off the field, I see RJ doing the exact same thing  but RJ has other skills too that cannot be denied...  

Be excited about RJ ! Go watch some tape of him throwing inHS 

We'll see what happens 👍🏻

7 hours ago, SLCbear said:

Comparing Robinson to RJ as a qb is silly and you're embarrassing yourself  bc Rob would never EVER get recruited as a QB to a major program like Texas 🙄

You’re suggesting we take Fields off the field entirely so our rookie 3rd string RB can play some QB on occasion, but it’s ME making an obvious joke about the absurdity of such a proposition that’s embarrassing myself. Talk about being obtuse.

No one knows what Roschon could've done as a QB at Texas. We do know that he was ranked as the #2 dual threat QB in the country and given a scholarship to play QB. We also know that he practiced  and developed some there as a QB  until a greater RB need took RJ onto a different path and trajectory 

I know that he didn’t actually play QB at Texas nor anywhere else. I know he was recruited as a dual threat QB but then almost immediately taken out of the QB role to be a backup RB. That’s the reality of the situation. That tells me all I need to know about what he would’ve been as a QB. If Johnson himself thought he was actually a QB, would he have accepted not only not playing QB, but accept not playing QB to instead take on a reserve RB role at Texas? C’mon now.   

I never said that we drafted him to be Taysom Hill, I am only suggesting that RJ is special and has some legit QB skills to help strengthen  an offensive package that allows for our franchise QB to play his style AND have some plays off.

If he had legit QB skills he’d play QB. It’s the most important position on the field. Incidentally, it’s the same reason that we won’t take Fields off the field to let an obviously lesser player play QB.

why are you only willing to see and accept what has already been done by other NFL teams  ?

I’m not. I’m open to outside the box ideas that are good ideas. I just don’t think this is one of them.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

You’re suggesting we take Fields off the field entirely so our rookie 3rd string RB can play some QB on occasion, but it’s ME making an obvious joke about the absurdity of such a proposition that’s embarrassing myself. Talk about being obtuse.

I know that he didn’t actually play QB at Texas nor anywhere else. I know he was recruited as a dual threat QB but then almost immediately taken out of the QB role to be a backup RB. That’s the reality of the situation. That tells me all I need to know about what he would’ve been as a QB. If Johnson himself thought he was actually a QB, would he have accepted not only not playing QB, but accept not playing QB to instead take on a reserve RB role at Texas? C’mon now.   

If he had legit QB skills he’d play QB. It’s the most important position on the field. Incidentally, it’s the same reason that we won’t take Fields off the field to let an obviously lesser player play QB.

I’m not. I’m open to outside the box ideas that are good ideas. I just don’t think this is one of them.

Oh AZ. I get the fact that at this point you are so deep into this debate that it is hard to just let it go. But sometimes ideas are just too bad to argue about. Fields is our best player and needs to be on the field as much as possible. As you have pointed out if Roschon was any good at QB he would have played it at Texas especially because he would be a dual threat qb and the fact that their qb play was subpar and he still couldn't get any snaps at the position. That or he would have entered the transfer portal to go somewhere that would allow him to do so. At this point the argument is just silly.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

Oh AZ. I get the fact that at this point you are so deep into this debate that it is hard to just let it go. But sometimes ideas are just too bad to argue about. Fields is our best player and needs to be on the field as much as possible. As you have pointed out if Roschon was any good at QB he would have played it at Texas especially because he would be a dual threat qb and the fact that their qb play was subpar and he still couldn't get any snaps at the position. That or he would have entered the transfer portal to go somewhere that would allow him to do so. At this point the argument is just silly.

In this case, it was the moment somebody hit "submit reply" for the first time

• Like 2

9 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I'm kind of liking the idea of putting Roschon at QB and Fields at RB for certain packages. I mean he averaged 7ypc, why even bother passing when we can just keep rolling off that? 😁