The 2024 Draft. Tonight's the night...

vike daddy

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

So...a little over 48 hours away, top 4 QB preferences in order...what do you got excluding Caleb Williams?

Mine are :

Maye/ McCarthy ( would be thrilled with either..

Daniels

Nix

Penix

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

That's a great way to get fired if you're KAM.

I mean, who do McCarthy and Penix go to in that scenario?  Both Las Vegas and Denver would likely need to jump Minnesota for a QB.

• Like 1

Ice is in McCarthy’s blood. His mother, Megan, was a competitive figure skater. He started playing hockey in kindergarten. Organized football came later.

McCarthy is on record calling hockey his first love. What he experienced on the ice would ultimately help make him a better quarterback — one now on the verge of being drafted in the first round.

He was 10 when the Knights defeated Winnetka in the Tier II Squirt A state championship in March 2013. He and Luke Lawrence assisted on the only goal of the game. It was a special season for a special group, one that eventually split up as players changed teams and levels.

In the summer between seventh and eighth grade, McCarthy started training with Greg Holcomb, a private QB coach from Next Level Athletix. Holcomb saw a lot of natural ability. He also saw hockey’s influence.

“One of the reasons why he was so good at throwing off platform and moving around and changing direction is probably because in hockey he would get absolutely killed if he wasn’t able to skate past guys or make them miss,” Holcomb said. “Hockey definitely helped him.”

https://theathletic.com/5429595/2024/04/23/jj-mccarthy-nfl-draft-prospect-hockey-history/?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=twhq&source=twitterhq

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, who do McCarthy and Penix go to in that scenario?  Both Las Vegas and Denver would likely need to jump Minnesota for a QB.

Or the Vikings decide to wait until 23 to take a QB

4 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

Or the Vikings decide to wait until 23 to 

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Yeah...I just don't see either Denver or Vegas having the ammo to jump the Vikings in moving up.  The wild cards are the Giants.  But, what they have invested in Jones do they really want to gut their draft for either Maye or McCarthy?

I also worry that the Vikings won't find a trade partner willing to give up draft position for anything less than 3 forst round picks.  That's a steep price for Minnesota.

16 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

I also worry that the Vikings won't find a trade partner willing to give up draft position for anything less than 3 first round picks.  That's a steep price for Minnesota.

A small price to pay if the QB hits. I would also prefer to keep the 2025 1st but I'm prepared to part with it if need be.

• Like 3

Just now, VikeManDan said:

A small price to pay if the QB hits. I would also prefer to keep the 2025 1st but I'm prepared to part with it if need be.

Agreed.  I'm not the least bit worried if they have to give up the 2025 1st as well.  Yes, they won't have a pick next year until the 3rd rd, but that'd be fine...they'll have plenty of free agency money to fill in the gaps especially on defense, and they'll likely have their OL intact, along with their primary skill position players.    It's more important that they don't give up any 2026 picks...who knows, maybe they can even get some lower 2025 picks in return. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Agreed.  I'm not the least bit worried if they have to give up the 2025 1st as well.  Yes, they won't have a pick next year until the 3rd rd, but that'd be fine...they'll have plenty of free agency money to fill in the gaps especially on defense, and they'll likely have their OL intact, along with their primary skill position players.    It's more important that they don't give up any 2026 picks...who knows, maybe they can even get some lower 2025 picks in return. 

If they pick the right QB, it's more than ok to give that up....

• Like 1