Stalking Rodgers

Brit Pack

12 hours ago, oldmansmell said:

TBH I think he is really close to JT Tretter (current players union president, drafted in the same class), and understands this is a bad precedent in terms of union strength - I don't think it has a lot to do with his stance on the team. It's more a high profile player refusing to do something that would be really bad long term for lesser profile players. 

Just don't understand how it could be bad for lesser profile players? Makes no sense to me whatsoever. 

11 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Just don't understand how it could be bad for lesser profile players? Makes no sense to me whatsoever. 

I think I missed the mark on this, but possibly found the answer for Bahks situation.

Take Kirk Cousins as an example. Per https://sumersports.com/the-zone/void-years-explained/#:~:text=Void years are contract years,through a later contract restructure. "Some of the prorated bonuses ($6.25 million in 2023, 2024, and 2025) were left over from the 2022 extension of Cousins, while the remaining $4 million per year was from the 2023 restructure. All that void year money ($28.5 million) is set to count against Minnesota’s cap in 2024 unless Cousins were to sign another extension to stay in Minnesota, in which case they would simply tack onto a new deal’s cap hits in their respective years. 

But there is a catch. Those base salaries in 2024-2027, which are effectively dummy numbers that will never be paid, set a cap for a possible future extension. Per the CBA, a player cannot sign a new deal that includes a raise within a year of signing another deal. Cousins’ new deal is, on paper, a 5-year, $200-million deal ($40 million APY), with a $20 million signing bonus (and $180 million in paragraph 5 base salaries), a mark that cannot be exceeded should he sign a deal to remain in Minnesota before the 2024 league year. Given the current market for starting-caliber quarterbacks in the NFL, this would seem to imply that Cousins is going to take a below-market deal or test the market in 2024."

So Bahk might actually be thinking about his GB future here, or test the market with a bad knee rep.

Edited by oldmansmell

Interesting… so Rodgers didn’t take meetings with Gute, per Breer’s article.

AND the front office of Green Bay wanted to move off of Cobb, Lewis and Tonyan. But figured this would piss Rodgers off.

The tone of the article made it sound like GB was open to Rodgers coming back if he was ok with “his guys” not being there but Rodgers never had that conversation with them. At least that’s how I read it. But in the same breath the article also made it sound like GB front office was convinced that Rodgers wouldnt come back if those guys weren’t. So it was a nonstarter.

Which ultimately I agree with the front office… rolling out Cobb, Lewis, and Bob wasn’t going to get different results.

For all this… GB never gets Rodgers weapons narrative, it seems like Rodgers, himself, kept this from happening.

Edited by Green19
  • Like 1

And it was cell phone reception for days...? When Gutey tried to GO to HIM multiple times. Come on.

That gave the Packers a viable alternative, and flexibility as a result, as Gutekunst went to relay their objective to Rodgers to clean up the cap and get younger in 2023, a plan he figured the 18-year veteran might not want to be a part of. The problem, from there, was getting time with the quarterback.

The two set up a Wednesday meeting in Los Angeles in late January while Gutekunst was in town for the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl. That one didn’t happen. Gutekunst had to go to Las Vegas the next day for the East-West Shrine Bowl, and the idea that he could return from there to California to meet Rodgers was broached. But that didn’t happen, either, making the exit meeting the last time they’d talked.

This story is a good breakdown

Aaron Rodgers trade: Inside story of six-week Jets-Packers negotiation - Sports Illustrated

Edited by Arthur Penske
  • Like 1

If MLF was tempering expectations with his statement about Love, check out what Hackett said. Basically saying it might be all sweet now but Rodgers is difficult to play with.

“Right now, we have some very good pieces, some very good people and players on the field. There has to be cohesion, there has to be a mesh. Aaron runs things on the field very uniquely, so there are a lot of things the guys are going to have to learn and get used to. Where that goes, I’m not sure. But I know there’s going to be some growing pains, there’s going to be some bumps. It is just about us getting on the field, everybody getting comfortable with each other and we will see where it goes.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/05/09/jets-oc-nathaniel-hackett-we-have-very-good-pieces-there-has-to-be-cohesion/

2 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

If MLF was tempering expectations with his statement about Love, check out what Hackett said. Basically saying it might be all sweet now but Rodgers is difficult to play with.

“Right now, we have some very good pieces, some very good people and players on the field. There has to be cohesion, there has to be a mesh. Aaron runs things on the field very uniquely, so there are a lot of things the guys are going to have to learn and get used to. Where that goes, I’m not sure. But I know there’s going to be some growing pains, there’s going to be some bumps. It is just about us getting on the field, everybody getting comfortable with each other and we will see where it goes.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/05/09/jets-oc-nathaniel-hackett-we-have-very-good-pieces-there-has-to-be-cohesion/

Haha understatement of the last decade… what all the court/rink side photos with teammates isn’t a sign of guaranteed success?!?!?!

Can’t wait for Hardman to run the wrong route and get the death eyes from Rodgers on national tv. Or jets fans getting upset because Cobb is getting too much playing time over others.

Everyone wants to focus on the positives, but this situation has all the makings to blow up and be awful for the jets.

Also that quote from Hackett just shows, again, Hackett isn’t going to reel in Rodgers. He is the buddy. I know in another article it stated that Matt and Robert made a rule not to talk about the situation… but Matt needs to tell his boy that he needs to be bad cop and not get too buddy with Rodgers.

4 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

...Aaron runs things on the field very uniquely, so there are a lot of things the guys are going to have to learn and get used to. Where that goes, I’m not sure. But I know there’s going to be some growing pains, there’s going to be some bumps. It is just about us getting on the field, everybody getting comfortable with each other and we will see where it goes.”

I suddenly have a bad feeling about getting Aaron to 65% of the snaps. One of the "unique" ways Aaron used to be good was extending plays out to five, six, and even seven seconds under an excellent and coordinated blanket of protection while he waited to get the shot he wanted. It sounds like Hackett is conceding a return to Rodgers SOP, which means that there is no offense except for Rodgers' offense. Maybe that works if Rodgers is wound up with anger and a chip on his shoulder. The problem is that Aaron is soaking up admiration and praise he really isn't that likely to earn if the Jets' offense struggles through frustrating growing pains. He's not angry. He's a tabby cat on a cushion telling the owner to get a mousetrap.

1 hour ago, Uffdaswede said:

He's a tabby cat on a cushion telling the owner to get a mousetrap.

You calling Rodgers a *****?  Because it sounds like you are calling him a *****.  *****.  Big giant *****.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Green19 said:

Haha understatement of the last decade… what all the court/rink side photos with teammates isn’t a sign of guaranteed success?!?!?!

Can’t wait for Hardman to run the wrong route and get the death eyes from Rodgers on national tv. Or jets fans getting upset because Cobb is getting too much playing time over others.

Everyone wants to focus on the positives, but this situation has all the makings to blow up and be awful for the jets.

Also that quote from Hackett just shows, again, Hackett isn’t going to reel in Rodgers. He is the buddy. I know in another article it stated that Matt and Robert made a rule not to talk about the situation… but Matt needs to tell his boy that he needs to be bad cop and not get too buddy with Rodgers.

Responding to the part I bolded. The **** he does. MLF needs to keep his mouth shut and let them implode. We want a top 10 FRP next year. 

I also can't wait until Rodgers uses all of their timeouts trying to draw the other team offsides to no avail. That worked really well in 2017-2018, but teams have caught onto it. 

Rodgers turned into the Primadonna Brett Favre became. He's not changing for anybody and will wear real thin real quick with teammates because his legend was built in Green Bay, not New York. 

• Like 1