Jets sign former 2nd Round Pick Randall Cobb

VonKarman

4 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Too bad you don't have a hungry Rodgers.  

And no, the point was weaponz.  You don't have near the weaponz that Rodgers has had in the past.  He couldn't get to a Super Bowl with Prime Jordy, Prime Cobb and young 'Tae.

And he's doing it to you guys, now too.  Here is my list of guys I want on the team.  OBJ turned you down.  You signed Lazard.  Remember, we had him when his production on the contract was great.  Now you signed Cobb.  He couldn't even recruit Calais Campbell.  Let's see what happens with Lewis at TE.

All while saying, with a straight face thinking it is good, that he will be at HALF of your OTA's.

You are letting him play GM when he is about half invested in your success.  

This sounds like it was written by a bitter ex. 

"Too bad you don't have a hungry Rodgers" - By all accounts, this is the most engaged or "hungry" Rodgers has been in recent memory. There were multiple GB fans posting in the Jets forum about how locked-in he appeared following his presser. His mannerisms, generally, are undeniably more upbeat than years past. 

"You don't have near the weaponz that Rodgers has had in the past" - Lol, shore... how about the one SB he did win.. ?

"He's doing it to you guys, now too" - Peyton brought Tamme to DEN. Brady had the Bucs trade for Gronk and sign AB, of all people, who mind you had just been suspended 8-games. All of a sudden Rodgers wants to add his guys and it's some sort of enigma or act of selfishness. "OBJ turned you down" - OBJ reportedly called the Jets and them a chance to match, so not quite

"All while saying, with a straight face thinking it is good, that he will be at HALF of your OTA's." - When was the last time Rodgers showed up to OTAs in GB? Should we think it's a bad thing he's showing up at all?

• Like 2

I'm harsh on WR talent, but I only see one genuinely good WR in that NYJ depth chart. The likes of Mecole, Lazard, Davis have been pilloried on here and other places - they ain't exactly great options. They have a WR1 and a bunch of 3/4s.

Then you add in the OL, if they lose either of their starting tackles, which they will at some point - that is a ropey ropey OL.  I've also read "deep TE room". Is it? Conklin and Uzomah....meh. It's OK. 

Chris Simms saying this is the best supporting cast Aaron's ever had is typically laughable from the edgelord himself.

I say this as a fan of a team who I believe has a bottom 5 weapon room in any category, so I'm only being honest.

Edited by Hunter2_1
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I'm harsh on WR talent, but I only see one genuinely good WR in that NYJ depth chart. The likes of Mecole, Lazard, Davis have been pilloried on here and other places - they ain't exactly great options. They have a WR1 and a bunch of 3/4s.

Then you add in the OL, if they lose either of their starting tackles, which they will at some point - that is a ropey ropey OL.  I've also read "deep TE room". Is it? Conklin and Uzomah....meh. It's OK. 

Chris Simms saying this is the best supporting cast Aaron's ever had is typically laughable from the edgelord himself.

I say this as a fan of a team who I believe has a bottom 5 weapon room in any category, so I'm only being honest.

I think the WR group is overrated, and I'm not sure they're better off with Mecole/Lazzard than they were Moore/Berrios - more well rounded, higher floor, but Moore had legitimate upside that could have made for a top-end pairing with Wilson.

Corey Davis has the highest ceiling behind Wilson and could/has been a solid #2. He can't stay healthy. Lazzard is a good #3 and brings an underrated physical element in the run game. Mecole.. never been a huge fan, as a 4th receiver, you can do worse.

Conklin is a fringe top-10 TE .. there aren't many options around the league, Uzomah is solid depth and Ruckert essentially redshirted.

Breece is a stud.

Not sure where that leaves them relative to the rest of the league. A lot depends on Wilson.

13 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Getting hit isn't the only reason players decline, and even if QB hits are down, the seasons are now over 20% longer than they were in their era.

Peyton Manning, who of course is another HoF QB from Brady's era, declined sharply at age 39 in his final season before retiring. Again, Brady is the unreasonably ridiculous exception to the rule, not the model for how long other QBs can sustain their careers. I'm not saying that Rodgers can't necessarily have another great season or even two, but it should obviously be a concern for any Jets fan being honest with themselves - age is absolutely not "just a number".

This. 

People don't realize that it's a long grueling season. It's not just getting hit in games. It's the dedication required everyday. The other things in life they sacrifice. The waning loss of interest, even if it's just 5%, is enough to diminish the edge. 

There is no question in my mind football is less important in Aaron's EVERYDAY life as a 40yo than it was as a 30yo. Life happens. New interests emerge. It takes more and more effort as they get older to maintain the same results. It's an absolute grind. If you're not totally committed to it, the NFL is REALLY hard, because you know your competition is totally committed. 

I just don't see that commitment from Aaron anymore. I don't think he REALLY wanted to go to NY (I think he would have gotten himself excited for SF). And because I don't think his heart and mind are 100% in NYJ football, I think his age is going to show even more. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Here on football's future, all ya got to do is change your shirt to become a legitimate WR weapon!

In GB, Allen Lazard was a trash option according to pretty much everyone here

(changes his shirt)

Allen Lazard is a key part of Rodgers deep stable of WR in NY

lolz

I scrolled back through the first few pages of this thread and don't see references to Lazard being trash. Anything specific to point to regarding this?

I think the thought process might be that if GB had drafted a  WR with the Love pick then the bottoming out of the GB WR group might not (if the drafted WR developed) have occurred last year because that WR would've been headed into year 3 (as the #1) with Lazard as his #2 (and the 2022 GB rookies learning the game and serving as #3).

1 minute ago, sinceAtikevike said:

I scrolled back through the first few pages of this thread and don't see references to Lazard being trash. Anything specific to point to regarding this?

I think the thought process might be that if GB had drafted a  WR with the Love pick then the bottoming out of the GB WR group might not (if the drafted WR developed) have occurred last year because that WR would've been headed into year 3 (as the #1) with Lazard as his #2 (and the 2022 GB rookies learning the game and serving as #3).

This is a thread that occurred after Lazard left GB. So the opposite is happening in this thread.

14 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Getting hit isn't the only reason players decline, and even if QB hits are down, the seasons are now over 20% longer than they were in their era.

Peyton Manning, who of course is another HoF QB from Brady's era, declined sharply at age 39 in his final season before retiring. Again, Brady is the unreasonably ridiculous exception to the rule, not the model for how long other QBs can sustain their careers. I'm not saying that Rodgers can't necessarily have another great season or even two, but it should obviously be a concern for any Jets fan being honest with themselves - age is absolutely not "just a number".

For Rodgers, it's all about his legs and core.  For two years he showed up to camp looking solid.  Last year?  Not so much.  And it showed.  Those legs and core couldn't move fast anymore, so most of the offense ran through the shotgun.  He wanted to move in the pocket, but he was too slow to do it as he had in the past.

And from the looks of him this year...the few pictures I've seen....it looks like he skipped leg and core day again.

But...if he turns it around, he can play for 5 years or so.  It is all about how much he wants it and the work he's willing to put into his training.  And it just wasn't there last year for Green Bay.  Very well could be that a change in teams could rejuvenate him to actually train again.  But, when he says he'll bet at "50%" of the OTAs, well, that is not a ringing endorsement.

12 hours ago, NJC33 said:

This sounds like it was written by a bitter ex. 

"Too bad you don't have a hungry Rodgers" - By all accounts, this is the most engaged or "hungry" Rodgers has been in recent memory. There were multiple GB fans posting in the Jets forum about how locked-in he appeared following his presser. His mannerisms, generally, are undeniably more upbeat than years past. 

"You don't have near the weaponz that Rodgers has had in the past" - Lol, shore... how about the one SB he did win.. ?

"He's doing it to you guys, now too" - Peyton brought Tamme to DEN. Brady had the Bucs trade for Gronk and sign AB, of all people, who mind you had just been suspended 8-games. All of a sudden Rodgers wants to add his guys and it's some sort of enigma or act of selfishness. "OBJ turned you down" - OBJ reportedly called the Jets and them a chance to match, so not quite

"All while saying, with a straight face thinking it is good, that he will be at HALF of your OTA's." - When was the last time Rodgers showed up to OTAs in GB? Should we think it's a bad thing he's showing up at all?

Your post sounds like someone who hasn't watched Rodgers his entire career.

Dude should have 3-4 Super Bowl appearances now.  But due to him being him, he doesn't.

If you watch his his decision making, you can easily see the business decisions that he made on the football field to protect his stats, regardless of losses.  

I'll give you one little example.  The best throw I've seen him make, and there are hundreds of jaw dropping throws, but the best one was in the Super Bowl with like 5 minutes left.  3rd and 13 or so.  Jennings in the left slot.  He ran a post.  Pitt knew he was running a post.  Jennings was doubled.  Rodgers put a ball where only Greg could catch it...over the middle and into traffic.  And that play pretty much ended the game.

He didn't throw a contested ball over the middle in most any game since then.

If you can change his mindset, then you have something really special again.  

6 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Yes, but IMO Rodgers looks a hell of lot older than Brady did at that age.  

I kind of disagree here however I think Brady has always been less athlete and more of a master of accuracy and decision making. That didn't really fall off with age even after his arm wasn't as strong. The amount of balls Brady threw that seemed like they were in the air for 15 seconds just to land right in his receivers lap was something to watch. Rodgers arm talent is still there but I think he lost some of that accuracy over the last couple seasons. Way too many balls overthrown, underthrown into the dirt, or out of bounds.