2023 Rookie Minicamp / OTAs / Training Camp

Leader

17 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I'll say it right now. DO NOT let Gary play in any of the preseason games.

Also, one less EDGE making the roster now. Gary, Smith, Van Ness, Enagbare are locks. Hollins is probably very close to a lock given the contract. Do we keep six?

I don't think so. Anybody else they like can be safely waived and placed on PS. Unless someone make a huge impact in preseason games. 

5 hours ago, Old Guy said:

I heard a few rumblings that Tariq Carpenter looks pretty good in LB in camp. Anybody have any insight for me on this one?

I love those late round athletic freaks, though most never materialize.

Tired:

Wired:

• Like 1

Don't know if it has been announced yet, but the Packers are signing another RB. Nate McCrary was a player they tried to sign as a UDFA last year but signed with the Ravens instead I believe. 

That is more RB's (7) than the Packers normally carry in TC, wonder if the Nichols injury might be on the serious side. 

20 minutes ago, R T said:

Don't know if it has been announced yet, but the Packers are signing another RB. Nate McCrary was a player they tried to sign as a UDFA last year but signed with the Ravens instead I believe. 

That is more RB's (7) than the Packers normally carry in TC, wonder if the Nichols injury might be on the serious side. 

It’s possible. They also will probably not have a whole lot of snaps for 33 and 28 in the PS. We know what we’ve got there, although I want JLove to get reps with the full starting unit. Coach alluded to bringing guys in for a whole stretch, quarter, half etc. to see what they can do instead of subbing them out which is not really a natural way to play. I’d guess we want as many as we can have in the  preseason without riding our starters very much. Goodson is the guy I’m hoping came make the jump, sounds like he’s been putting in the work. 

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Yah gotta find a way to keep Cox.  Cox is where it is at.  He's just a great penetrator.

All kidding aside, though that was a lot of fun for me, I feel that with the versatility in Van Ness, yeah, you can sneak another EDGE into the group.  One just has to earn it.

Also?  Because of the versatility of Wooden and Brooks, you may not have to.

Cox is going to have to bring it hard to make it.  (Sorry, not sorry.)

Wondering out loud here. First of all, I love the LVN pick but one has to wonder if we select him if we know Gary is healthy for the beginning of the season? 

I'm fine with the pick because you can never have enough pass rushers but, we were hell bent on getting 13 from the Jets. In hindsight, it appears that was because we knew NE was looking at LVN and likely going to take him. As soon as we snagged him, they trade out. 

I think history will prove Gute right in taking LVN, but it is sort of interesting. 

27 minutes ago, R T said:

Nichols was probably in trouble anyways. He's fighting for a PS spot, if anything. You have Taylor and Goodson in a battle for 3 and Wilson has been better in camp than Nichols who has struggled catching the football. Could see him being put on IR with an injury settlement to follow. 

3 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Also, one less EDGE making the roster now. Gary, Smith, Van Ness, Enagbare are locks. Hollins is probably very close to a lock given the contract. Do we keep six?

Six is easily a very manageable number for pass rushers.  I think you keep 7 if you think one of them are quality ST players.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Six is easily a very manageable number for pass rushers.  I think you keep 7 if you think one of them are quality ST players.

That was my thought as well. I was being persuaded by those who had us down as 5. I live by the idea that you can never have enough pass rushers. 

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Wondering out loud here. First of all, I love the LVN pick but one has to wonder if we select him if we know Gary is healthy for the beginning of the season? 

I'm fine with the pick because you can never have enough pass rushers but, we were hell bent on getting 13 from the Jets. In hindsight, it appears that was because we knew NE was looking at LVN and likely going to take him. As soon as we snagged him, they trade out. 

I think history will prove Gute right in taking LVN, but it is sort of interesting. 

We do. This pick was as foreseeable as the sunrise. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

The Packers draft with the future in mind .. Preston isn't going to be around forever.

5 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

We do. This pick was as foreseeable as the sunrise. 

I think the Packers and the Patriots were the two teams that were absolutely going to take LVN if they had a shot at him, and the Jets probably knew this, which is why the 13 for 15 swap was what eventually cemented the Rodgers deal.

LIke GB and NE are the teams I think would probably take LVN over Will Anderson Jr. and Tyree Wilson.

15 hours ago, Old Guy said:

To answer the question, yes, we should have taken LVN at that pick even if we had known that Gary would be healthy for the start of the season.

He was the correct pick.  He fit the criteria perfectly.  

Everything else you said?  Spot on in my book as to why we wanted the swap of picks and who we took.