Which Franchise is Most Delusional Right Now

brownie man

Just now, scar988 said:

All he ever was is a high-volume possession guy anyway. Slant boy.

He was more than that, but even if that was all he was, and teams knew it was coming, why couldn't they stop it?  It's like saying "Well the RB can only ever run up the middle and gain exactly 3 yards."  Pretty sure people would still take that.

31 minutes ago, Raves said:

He was more than that, but even if that was all he was, and teams knew it was coming, why couldn't they stop it?  It's like saying "Well the RB can only ever run up the middle and gain exactly 3 yards."  Pretty sure people would still take that.

Exactly…they knew it was coming and still couldn’t stop it. So clearly there were variations of routes. And it’s not like he did it for one season…he was exceptional the moment he entered the league. The injury just killed him. But hey…he has looked good this offseason. Of course that’s to be taken with a grain of salt because of injury risk…but he even looked pretty good in limited time before injury last year too. The Saints have pretty insane offensive potential if somehow Thomas finds a way to stay healthy. 

9 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

Exactly…they knew it was coming and still couldn’t stop it. So clearly there were variations of routes. And it’s not like he did it for one season…he was exceptional the moment he entered the league. The injury just killed him. But hey…he has looked good this offseason. Of course that’s to be taken with a grain of salt because of injury risk…but he even looked pretty good in limited time before injury last year too. The Saints have pretty insane offensive potential if somehow Thomas finds a way to stay healthy. 

Its the same concept as Kelce. Somehow, inexplicably--he is wide open 10 yards across the middle of the field every single snap. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Its the same concept as Kelce. Somehow, inexplicably--he is wide open 10 yards across the middle of the field every single snap. 

Exactly. The Jaguars beat the Chiefs in the playoffs if they don’t have Kelce. Everyone in the stadium…everyone in the world…knew Kelce was getting the ball and it didn’t matter. Some guys are just too skilled and too good of a route runner to effectively cover. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scar988 said:

All he ever was is a high-volume possession guy anyway. Slant boy.

*shrug* if I do something REALLY well and you have no answer for it, why would I stop? 

MT and the slant route is a real life Madden spam-bot. That’s a compliment, IMO.

• Like 4

On 8/23/2023 at 5:56 PM, SmittyBacall said:

This may be better suited for a "NFL Overreaction" post, but I'll leave it here instead.

I think I owe @scar988 an apology. Watching the CIN @ ATL game, the Falcons offense might actually be good. Their OL is legit, you can already tell Bijan is special, and I was especially impressed by Ridder's poise - he's not going to light the world on fire but he operates the offense like a machine. Add Drake London and Kyle Pitts to the mix, and I think ATL will be a tough out.

The defense I'm still not sure about, but overall I like what I saw out there. I am now a Falcons supporter.

After one pre-season game ay? Bold 

1 hour ago, brownie man said:

I still think Atlanta

Them not trading for Trey Lance like they should have even furthers that point. 

Unless they are all out tanking for Caleb I have no idea what they're doing 

Thats the only logical reason for their team construction that I can see. 

I dont think they will be that bad, if anything all they did by making some head scratching FA decisions was guarantee themselves they will win 2-3 more games than they should and get removed from the Williams running. Bates? Campbell? Dupree? 

or.....they win the division by running Robinson into the absolute dirt Todd Gurley style and make me look like an idiot. If the new move is running your rookie into the ground with 325+ carries a year for 4 seasons then letting him hit free agency once he has the knees of a 85 y/o war veteran then who knows.

Edited by AkronsWitness

I can't believe I'm doing it, but I'm doing it. I'm going to defend Atlanta.

10 hours ago, brownie man said:

I still think Atlanta

The team that believed in Lance the most named him 4th-string behind a former Mr. Irrelevant, a league-wide mega bust, and a no-name journeyman. What makes you think Lance is even capable of remaining in the NFL in 3-5 years, let alone being the savior for the Falcons franchise?

10 hours ago, brownie man said:

They're actually set up pretty well for success, at least on offense, and have a ton of young, legitimate star power. Between Chris Lindstrom, Bijan Robinson, Kyle Pitts, and Drake London, that's 4 names who are or who are potentially some of the leagues best at their position. Granted, their defense still needs a lot of work, but Grady Jarrett, AJ Terrell, and Jessie Bates are top talents and still well within their prime. 

I guess my point is, Atlanta has a lot to look forward to. Compare that to a team like Arizona that legitimately appears to be tanking - whos' bright spots are the lonely Budda Baker, who wanted out this offseason, Kyler Murray? Rondale Moore? Zaven Collins? Two first round picks in 2024? - it's obvious which team should be packing it in. 

And I would assume any apprehension to name the Falcons anything more than a bottom feeder stems from the uncertainty surrounding the enigma that is Desmond Ridder, but I think he just might end up being a capable game manager who can do enough to win a weak division. They have situated him in position to succeed.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, brownie man said:

I still think Atlanta

I'm all about crapping on Atlanta to piss off scar, but I don't think I can agree with any of this.

What on earth has Lance shown that makes him an upgrade from Ridder?  You give me the choice between those two, and I take Ridder all day.  I don't think he's great, but he's younger, has some game experience, and hasn't spent 90% of his career injured.

Atlanta has a premium TE, a premium WR, and a premium RB, along with a very good DB group, and a DL that's mediocre, with a chance to be better than mediocre.  They look like the second best team in their division.  What on earth about their roster makes it look like they're tanking?

• Like 2

I still think Atlanta

When they go 11-6 and win the division this year, you'll finally get it. 

Trey Lance is worse than Ridder AND Heinicke. Why trade for a 3rd QB here? Dallas literally traded for him and made him a 3rd QB there.

15 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I'm all about crapping on Atlanta to piss off scar, but I don't think I can agree with any of this.

What on earth has Lance shown that makes him an upgrade from Ridder?  You give me the choice between those two, and I take Ridder all day.  I don't think he's great, but he's younger, has some game experience, and hasn't spent 90% of his career injured.

Atlanta has a premium TE, a premium WR, and a premium RB, along with a very good DB group, and a DL that's mediocre, with a chance to be better than mediocre.  They look like the second best team in their division.  What on earth about their roster makes it look like they're tanking?

You forgot the OL that is actually pretty good in Atlanta too. Arguably the best run blocking OL in the league from last year combined with at least average level of pass blocking. 

Ridder has so much post-HS experience compared to what Lance has, it's not even funny. Ridder started for 4 years in college. Lance had 1 year and a game. Ridder has as many passes as a pro in 4 games as Lance had his first two seasons so far. It's just ridiculous how a position where you need reps in, Lance has none.

I still think Atlanta

Here's another logical reason for their team construction. 

They're modeling after 2022 SF and 2020 TEN. 

Good OL

Weapons at RB, TE and WR that can play more than one spot

Solid, and opportunistic defense (Atlanta's defense should be much better in 2023 than it was in 2022. Especially considering it's at least 8 new starters). Not saying Atlanta has a top 10 defense by any means, but in that 14-18 League average range is what I'm expecting.

A QB who is efficient, runs the offense and leads the team. 

Both of those teams won their division. Modeling the team after division winners makes sense.