Which Franchise is Most Delusional Right Now

brownie man

On 8/11/2023 at 7:14 AM, StatKing said:

Packers fans are in full blown delusion at this point. I don't know where people got the idea we have some sort of secret sauce that produces HoF QBs.

Only one person on the Packers forum, where you post often, has really gone out on that limb concerning Love.  And that was over the word "potential".  

This may be better suited for a "NFL Overreaction" post, but I'll leave it here instead.

I think I owe @scar988 an apology. Watching the CIN @ ATL game, the Falcons offense might actually be good. Their OL is legit, you can already tell Bijan is special, and I was especially impressed by Ridder's poise - he's not going to light the world on fire but he operates the offense like a machine. Add Drake London and Kyle Pitts to the mix, and I think ATL will be a tough out.

The defense I'm still not sure about, but overall I like what I saw out there. I am now a Falcons supporter.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

This may be better suited for a "NFL Overreaction" post, but I'll leave it here instead.

I think I owe @scar988 an apology. Watching the CIN @ ATL game, the Falcons offense might actually be good. Their OL is legit, you can already tell Bijan is special, and I was especially impressed by Ridder's poise - he's not going to light the world on fire but he operates the offense like a machine. Add Drake London and Kyle Pitts to the mix, and I think ATL will be a tough out.

The defense I'm still not sure about, but overall I like what I saw out there. I am now a Falcons supporter.

I'll accept your apology. I forgive you. But let's hope that kind of efficiency continues moving forward and Ridder keeps learning from his mistakes. HE looked much better vs. Cincy than he did even last year.

48 minutes ago, scar988 said:

I'll accept your apology. I forgive you. But let's hope that kind of efficiency continues moving forward and Ridder keeps learning from his mistakes. HE looked much better vs. Cincy than he did even last year.

I think the falcons can make the playoffs if Ridder is decent at least.But their defense is still a huge question mark

1 hour ago, Steelersfan43 said:

I think the falcons can make the playoffs if Ridder is decent at least.But their defense is still a huge question mark

If you're looking at the 2022 defense and thinking it's even the same group heading out there this year, sure. I'd say the same thing. But it's a VERY different group this year.

W-EDGE - Lorenzo Carter replaced by Arnold Ebiketie/Bud Dupree rotation

WDT - Grady Jarrett keeps his role, but David Onyemata gets added to the rotation here

NT - Ta'Quon Graham keeps his role, but David Onyemata gets added to the rotation here

SDE - Instead of Abdullah Anderson or Timmy Horne, it'll be a rotation of Calais Campbell and Zach Harrison

SLB - instead of it being Ogundeji, who was atrocious, it's a rotation of Lorenzo Carter and DeAngelo Malone

MLB - instead of Ra'Shaan Evans, it's going to be Kaden Elliss

WLB - instead of Mykal Walker, it's going to be Troy Andersen

LCB - AJ Terrell keeps his role

RCB - instead of Casey Hayward and Cornell Armstrong, it's Jeff Okudah, Tre Flowers and Mike Hughes.

Nickel - instead of Isaiah Oliver, it's Dee Alford with Clark Phillips

FS - Instead of Jaylinn HAwkins, it's Jessie Bates

SS - staying as Richie Grant

So while there's pieces of last year's defense, the rookies that are now 2nd years get more snaps. Relying on development and outside help for improvement for sure. But I expect the defense to go from bottom 3-4 in the league (I think DVOA was 29th or 30th) to around average (15-18 range). If the offense is good, then the defense only needs to be average this year to make the playoffs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scar988 said:

I don't think it will be a tall task if you can keep games close. Hand the ball off, make defenses respect the run, work the play action, design easy throws on crossers or to the flat, and get the balls into the hands of your playmakers. 

I'm interested to see what his game when he's down two scores and he has to operate from the gun.

2 minutes ago, scar988 said:

RCB - instead of Casey Hayward and Cornell Armstrong, it's Jeff Okudah, Tre Flowers and Mike Hughes.

I have a feeling this will be a sore spot all year. Okudah ain't healthy and was bad when on the field for Detroit. Having familiarity with Flowers, I can tell you he's not a guy you want starting at the boundary. He played a nice niche for Cincinnati solely covering TEs, but when forced to play the traditional spot due to injury it was ugly. And Mikes Hughes, I guess we'll see, but doesn't look promising.

It's not easy to turn a defense around in a year unless you're injecting serious money and seriously good players into the mix. I just don't see enough to make a significant difference for ATL.

5 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

I have a feeling this will be a sore spot all year. Okudah ain't healthy and was bad when on the field for Detroit. Having familiarity with Flowers, I can tell you he's not a guy you want starting at the boundary. He played a nice niche for Cincinnati solely covering TEs, but when forced to play the traditional spot due to injury it was ugly. And Mikes Hughes, I guess we'll see, but doesn't look promising.

It's not easy to turn a defense around in a year unless you're injecting serious money and seriously good players into the mix. I just don't see enough to make a significant difference for ATL.

I don’t think the defense is going to be top 5 or top 10 by any stretch. But it should be at least average. 

It's going to be fun watching the Falcons and Saints battle for the division title.  I think both teams will end up a lot better than people think.  Saints defense should be as good/better than last year and the offense will be better as Penning will be taking over at LT, Olave in his 2nd year, and MT looks like he's going to be healthy for the first time in awhile and even if he's not the same dominant player he was before injury, he'll still be a great possession WR, not to mention Carr is going to be a much better option than Winston/Dalton as the offensive system is a better fit for him.

12 minutes ago, Raves said:

It's going to be fun watching the Falcons and Saints battle for the division title.  I think both teams will end up a lot better than people think.  Saints defense should be as good/better than last year and the offense will be better as Penning will be taking over at LT, Olave in his 2nd year, and MT looks like he's going to be healthy for the first time in awhile and even if he's not the same dominant player he was before injury, he'll still be a great possession WR, not to mention Carr is going to be a much better option than Winston/Dalton as the offensive system is a better fit for him.

All he ever was is a high-volume possession guy anyway. Slant boy.