2018 Free Agency targets

AZBearsFan

4 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I think the "at minimum" plan leaves Trubisky super exposed in what is a big season for him.

The option above would at least provide some level of options for when White goes on IR.

We may not solve the WR position in one offseason, but we need to ensure that this is not a wasted year for Trubisky again throwing to bums.

Does it, though? This offense is going to scheme people open rather than needing a Marshall/Jeffery to make insane plays on 50/50 balls. 

I think not enough stock is being placed in Meredith, I think he's going to be our #1 and have a heck of a year. Dude's not wearing a cast or anything right now, no crutches. 

Shaheen is going to have a big role in this offense, as will Tarik Cohen. 

That leaves 2 more WRs... Wilson and Lee do it for me but also will likely mean no WR is added until after our first two picks. I don't mind paying a bit more for Wilson because he can take the top off a defense, and excel in the screen game, block for our RBs and play special teams. That's a solid get. 

55 minutes ago, G08 said:

I think not enough stock is being placed in Meredith, I think he's going to be our #1 and have a heck of a year. Dude's not wearing a cast or anything right now, no crutches. 

Shaheen is going to have a big role in this offense, as will Tarik Cohen. 

What you’re referring to here is known as “player development.” We aren’t supposed to expect those things to happen except for at the QB position apparently. 

Had post-2016 Meredith been hitting THIS WR market he’d likely be getting a contract in line with what is projected to Paul Richardson right now. We shouldn’t look past that. We are already adding that to what we saw in 2017. That’s a BIG add to what we had in 2017. Arguably IMO as big as any FA we could sign outside of Robinson or maybe Watkins. There has been ZERO indication he won’t make a full recovery either. Cohen was productive last year in spite of an OC who didn’t know how to use him, and will be spending his offseason getting ready for the NFL and not the offseason process. Same for Shaheen in a much smaller sample size. We should hope for if not expect young guys from out of town that we bring in to progress in expanded roles, but we have to do that for those already here too. Especially those like Cohen, Shaheen and even Howard who were brought in premised on projected roles beyond years 1 and 2. Drafting players is always about long term projection where FA is often times much more about the current year. 

As I said the option with Wilson and Lee gives us some depth and some options.

The option where we only add Wilson leaves us razor thin as well.

I think Meredith is going to be fine, but you need to offset risk and relying heavily on Meredith and more so White is a risk. As long as we have options I am fine without a top level guy.

The Shaheen point is a much tougher one. The sample size was tiny [14 targets] that it is really hard to sit back and project what he will look like with 80 targets, that is a 6x increase in what he is being asked to do. I think again it is essential to add a player to that group that can support the TE production and who can step in if Shaheen struggles. I think Burton is a natural fit. 

Shaheen plays well-Burton moves into the flex role and gives up some targets.

Shaheen struggles-Burton can take on more of the targets and playing time.

45 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The Shaheen point is a much tougher one. The sample size was tiny [14 targets] that it is really hard to sit back and project what he will look like with 80 targets, that is a 6x increase in what he is being asked to do. I think again it is essential to add a player to that group that can support the TE production and who can step in if Shaheen struggles. I think Burton is a natural fit. 

Shaheen plays well-Burton moves into the flex role and gives up some targets.

Shaheen struggles-Burton can take on more of the targets and playing time.

We just have to do the Kellen Davis math. 5 TDs on 35 targets in 2011 so he was supposed to have like 15 TDs the following year.

Mark down Shaheen for 76 TDs.

3 minutes ago, Damikeeeee said:

I really hope we look into Derrick Johnson.  He's still got some left in the tank and is a great scheme fit

The last thing we need right now is old guys at the end of their careers...we need to build for the next few years not just next season.

Just now, Madmike90 said:

The last thing we need right now is old guys at the end of their careers...we need to build for the next few years not just next season.

I agree but I think we could make an exception in some places.  ILB being one.  I don't think we're gonna fill all ours needs with ideal situations

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Rumors is Watkins may not get the tag.

Watkins would be a great addition. Coming off a healthy season, good speed and excellent run after the catch ability.

You are going to have to back up the brinks truck, but worth it for us.

For once we agree 100%. He really complements Meredith well too. 

12 hours ago, Damikeeeee said:

I'd prefer a guaranteed performer.

Sure we would all like guaranteed performers at every position.  Thats not how the nfl works tho.  Kwiatkowski will probably become the starter or maybe even Christian Jones who the light finally went on for, if hes resigned.

Archived