Just how important is Left Tackle?

CP3MVP

I started watching football in the early 1990’s and one of the first things they drilled into my head was how important the LT position was, it’s “the second most important position in the game because it protects the most important position” but how true is that really?

The same way we look at RB and say “how many Super Bowl champions had an elite RB” but how many SB champions in the last 10-15 years had an elite LT?

if I’m looking at my patriots the last 20 years the only elite LT we had was Matt Light for a few seasons, most of the time he was just really good. Nate Solder was never elite, Trent brown in 2018 wasn’t elite just solid to good.  Isiah Wynn is just ok

Edited by CP3MVP

It's still in the 2-3-4 group of positional value, with edge defenders and WR1. It's not the standalone 2nd most important position anymore.

My take on this is the slight drop off in positional value happened because the elite, top overall pick LT types are also beasts in the running game, and that value doesn't exist as much any more. Still super valuable since they were 90% drafted for pass pro anyway, but the cherry on top is gone.

It's funny that the LT position was made so important because of LT.

It's as important as it ever was, but the difference is that RT is now equally as important. With the presence of insanely talented EDGE rushers in today's NFL, you need 2 good tackles. Some teams have 2 great edge rushers, and others will move their best pass rusher around to both sides throughout the game. The only difference between the 2 positions is that 1 of them is defending the QB's blind side. In the case of a team like Miami, where the starting QB is left handed, I'd argue that the RT is even more important than the LT.

An OL is only as good as its worst player, so while teams like the Brady-led, Super Bowl winning Patriots didn't necessarily have elite LTs, they had an elite QB and a very good (at worst) OL unit. It's more important to have a good starting 5 across the OL than 1 great player and maybe 1 or 2 bad ones. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

An OL is only as good as its worst player, so while teams like the Brady-led, Super Bowl winning Patriots didn't necessarily have elite LTs, they had an elite QB and a very good (at worst) OL unit. It's more important to have a good starting 5 across the OL than 1 great player and maybe 1 or 2 bad ones. 

They had an pro-bowl LT during the 2007-2009 period when Brady was throwing deep balls to Moss, when they really needed one.

Otherwise, Brady is always going to be an outlier in these conversations. He's the best QB at getting the ball out in the history of the league and they were able to win on short pick plays. Both of those things devalue the LT, but there have been rule changes and you're not finding another guy who can command the LoS pre-snap/get the ball out like that.

Game’s changed. OCs, at least good ones, can game plan around their lack of pass protection more than they used to. Most good QBs have some mobility. Most good defenses don’t have just one RE and a bunch of JAGs rushing the passer. Good pass rushers line up all over. Quick passes are more prevalent. 

It’s all taken away from the left tackle position specifically, although we can all still see the value when you have a good/great one. 

The LT/RT line has been blurred. DCs no longer put the best passrusher at RE and tell them to hit the QB. Guys move inside, outside, flip based on formations, can be standing and stunting, etc.

OT is still critical for any consistent or deep passing attack but you need two competent OTs at least or you're going to have DCs attacking that weak link.

That being said I still have OTs ranked really highly. Behind QB and EDGE and on the same tier as WR1 and CB1.

• Like 2

Joe Thomas and his won/loss record has to be cited somewhere in here.

I'm not sure there is a conclusion there, other than the obvious that you need a QB first.

After that, the premiums are LT, pass rusher, corner.  

You can cover up an average guard, or center.  I feel like the line between LT and RT is closing the gap.  If those bookends aren't solid, the QB is going to be under constant pressure.  Guess I don't feel like you can cover up an average left tackle...or even RT right now.

Great question, though.  Times have certainly changed.  

Internet points to whomever mentioned LT as the one that changed the LT status. 

20 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Well yeah. No LT is winning you games if everyone else sucks.

LT isn’t that important in of itself. You just can’t be dreadful at that spot and it’ll be ok. 

I feel this way.  LT used to be near the top of premier positions.  While it is still premier, I think it has fallen down a notch or two.

And...concerning teams?  I think a good to great LT is taken for granted.  And when they are gone, there is a lot of concern.  Then poof, in comes the new guy and things are just fine.

Which lends itself to your point....you just can't be dreadful and it'll be okay.  :)

OT is important in general. There is noticeable difference in the Eagles efficiency when Lane Johnson plays versus when he doesn't. Guessing the same goes for SF and Trent Williams. I know the Cowboys used to struggle whenever Tyron Smith missed time.

Edited by Jeezla

Its almost the opposite of runningback. 

Where rb is easy to find a guy, tackle is extremely hard to find a guy. 

You need to be strong, massive, and have amazing agility. You don't walk around and just see people who fit the physical description of left tackle. 

While runningback, nearly everyone has the height for it 5'7-6'3. 

Aside from fumbles if a runningback makes a mistake its not a terrible play. A 1 yard gain or loss who cares. 

If a tackle whiffs everyone knows. 

A runningback is dependent. 

A tackle is not, they play 1-1 football.

10 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

I’m looking at my patriots the last 20 years the only elite LT we had was Matt Light for a few seasons, most of the time he was just really good. Nate Solder was never elite, Trent brown in 2018 wasn’t elite just solid to good.  Isiah Wynn is just ok

I’d argue that the presence of Dante Scarnaccia is why this is the case specific to LT and the Patriots. Having an elite OL coach turns any OL into more than the sum of its parts - I’m sure non-Patriot SB winners have a similar presence teaching the unit to play as a singular unit vs five different positions.