Caleb Williams V Andrew Luck V Trevor Lawrence

mdonnelly21

67 members have voted

1. 1. Same Draft Who Goes #1

• Andrew Luck
    • Caleb Williams
    • Trevor Lawrence

After watching highlights closely for the first time I'm blown away by Caleb Williams. Wow. 

But I would like to clear the air about something. 

I'm hearing people throw around the "Once in a lifetime player." or "Generational Talent." 

I heard the same thing just about Andrew Luck 12 years ago. Andrew Luck was the greatest prospect since John Elway who was considered by most to be the greatest NFL prospect of all time. 

Then I heard again just a few years back with Trevor Lawrence. 

That "Generational Talent" is getting thrown around way too often when it literally just happened 3 years ago with TL. 

It's either you are a generational talent or your one of the better prospects in a while. Generational should mean at least every 10 years imo. 

I understand the quibble about the use of "once in a generation" however Trevor Lawrence was legitimately elite his entire high school and college playing days. He played in a real football state too with Georgia and then later was dominate his entire time in Clemson. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

The phrase Generational Talent is starting to be as overused as the word "Elite" by the masses.

Given what I've seen of all 3, I'll go with the only Generational Talent I've seen since "John Elway'....

Patrick Mahomes

He wasn't a generational talent as a prospect. C'mon you're better than this.

Caleb Williams is a very highly regarded QB, and would be #1 most years, but I don't see him on the same tier as Luck or Lawrence as a prospect.

• Like 9

30 minutes ago, Danger said:

He wasn't a generational talent as a prospect. C'mon you're better than this.

Caleb Williams is a very highly regarded QB, and would be #1 most years, but I don't see him on the same tier as Luck or Lawrence as a prospect.

That's the point. All 3 of these guys were deemed Generational Talent and either weren't, or at least haven't proven it yet?

Mahomes is already proving to be that person despite not getting that label by the experts!

There is nothing Luck did during his career to be considered better then Pat. As of right now , Lawrence most certainly hasn't either.

Time will tell I guess if this version of "Generat Talent" in Caleb lives up to the moniker so easily tossed out there and excepted by the masses.

Edited by Nabbs4u

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

That's the point. All 3 of these guys were deemed Generational Talent and either weren't, or at least haven't proven it yet?

Mahomes is already proving to be that person despite not getting that label by the experts!

There is nothing Luck did during his career to be considered better then Pat. As of right now , Lawrence most certainly hasn't either.

Time will tell I guess if this version of "Generat Talent" in Caleb lives up to the moniker so easily tossed out there and excepted by the masses.

The discussion is about how they were/are viewed as prospects coming out of college, not how good they ultimately became.

Of course there is a chance the generational prospects dont live up to the hype and some random player becomes what they were supposed to be, but again....the thread is comparing what they were coming out.

Guys like Mahomes and Aaron Rodgers obviously became generational NFL PLAYERS, but coming out, both were viewed as project players with big upsides.   Both went to great situations which helped them reach their potential.    Same could be said about Josh Allen, who many even didnt like coming out.    

As far as the topic at hand....I'd say Luck had more hype, but that very well may change by the end of the college season.     Caleb definitely has a braoder skillset than the others and I honestly believe he might be the best of the 3.....but I just dont trust USC QBs coming into the NFL.    They never live up to the hype.   

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Being a generational player, and a generational prospect are two entirely different things.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, 43M said:

Caleb definitely has a braoder skillset than the others and I honestly believe he might be the best of the 3.....but I just dont trust USC QBs coming into the NFL.    They never live up to the hype.   

Caleb should go first overall, won't call him generational. BUT to use the old adage of USC QBs. This is a whole new era, what's in the past in this regard should hold no bearing. Different regime entirely.

• Like 4

10 years ago the prototype was Luck, 6'4 240 who was mobile while not relying on it.

Now sure if he's that big you would take it but in wouldn't call it the prototype anymore i think the NFL now prefers quickness over what was prototypical size which Williams fits. I think Bryce Young if he was 6'2 220 like Williams would have been seen as generational.

• Like 3

Hard to not look at these guys without any bias/hindsight. Luck was awesome but never became the next Peyton. Trevor’s obviously hoping to enter that upper echelon of QB this year. Caleb’s a prospect still.

I think Luck goes #1, if they were all prospects. The hype was real. It wasn’t as much the physical talent with him, which he still had (big guy, could move, didn’t have an elite arm but could make all the throws) to an extent, but he absolutely checked off the “everything between the ears” box. The words “pro” and “ready” haven’t be used together in one offseason as much as they have since 2012. He really was the football nerd that everyone kinda hopes their QB is/becomes. I think when faced with three elite prospects, that might be the hair that tips it in his favor. Especially with Caleb’s personality being what it reportedly is. 

Luck might be the least physically talented of the three, but I think he had the most hype, most expectations (especially early), and (more so than Lawrence/Williams) checked that “eats a football for breakfast” box. I think most teams would be comfortable “risking it” on Luck more so than the other two because of that. JMO.

• Like 2