Week 2: Eagles vs Vikings - Home Opener Edition

AZ_Eaglesfan

8 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Who knows maybe Brown can become that guy? 🤔 

His play style kinda reminds me of Dawkins a little, although obviously college is different. He hasn’t proven to be effective in the NFL yet but man if he hits, that’d be so crazy to have a safety tandem like that, one an UDFA and the other a mid round pick.

1 hour ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I like Brown a lot. Just not sure if he is ready to take on a full time job at Safety yet. Love the way he runs around making plays on the field, but I do worry about him getting beat on mistakes. Guess we will see because I think he is going to get more playing time this week.

Any other week, I’m down to let him go make mistakes. The Vikings can sling it though. I don’t want to get caught up and potentially lose. I’d rather ease him in and give Edmunds the start. 

• Like 1

This may not be relative to this week's game, but I'm not sure what people are complaining about here.
The secondary now and in the future looks like it could be damn near set.

Starters:

Darius Slay
James Bradberry
Avante Maddox (n) *?
Josh Jobe - 1st R

Reed Blankenship*
Terrell Edmunds
Justin Evans

Future:

Eli Ricks
Josh Jobe*
Mario Goodrich (n?)
Kelee Ringo - 1st R

Reed Blankenship*
Sydney Brown
Mehki Gardner - PS

If one or two of the CB's pop, I could see Slay being moved to stabilize another secondary clear space after the season.
My biggest worry is losing Gardner.

7 hours ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I like Brown a lot. Just not sure if he is ready to take on a full time job at Safety yet. Love the way he runs around making plays on the field, but I do worry about him getting beat on mistakes. Guess we will see because I think he is going to get more playing time this week.

Well said and here is a good video breakdown of Justin Evans and how he really wasn’t as bad as a lot of the fans were perpetrating on Twitter (or X).

Touches on how a lot of it stems from fans wanting to see Sydney Brown on the field already, but he had some of the same concerns about him as you do here.

Like you said we’ll get to see a bit more of Sydney with Reed out and hopefully he’s able to play pretty sound in his assignments.

Edit: This post isn’t me saying Evans is good or anything. Best hope is that he’s mediocre and does enough. He definitely isn’t the athlete Brown is, but does have more experience.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy
  • Like 1

Also, speaking about safety it would’ve been nice if Marcus Williams signed with us last offseason instead of Baltimore when we made him like the same offer. A Blankenship and Williams duo would’ve been really sweet this year. Williams was graded out by PFF as a 83.4 week 1 just ahead of Blankenship at a 82.6. Would’ve given us a safety with a lot of range. Oh well.

On 9/12/2023 at 8:41 PM, babyatemydingo said:

On the plus side, the Eagles beat the Vikings in the playoffs leading up to the Super Bowl.
On the down side, the Eagles lost their 6-0, undefeated record in 1981.  (I remember that.)

These teams seem to be linked.

The Bam Sadford trade will trade linked our teams for a long time, and allowed Philly to win the Superbowl in 2017. Or at least, we helped get you there in more ways than one.

I don't expect the Vikings to win, but I think the game will be more competitive than last year. Your GM has built an awesome team and created a championship window for your team. 

Last year ended rough, but maybe Philly gets over the hump this year and can silence anyone who doubts them.

15 hours ago, Jays3 said:

By the time CJGJ got to talking to the lions, he started to vocalize his displeasure with the entire process. I don’t think matching the lions was an option. He was pretty vocal in free agency and obviously felt disrespected.

I don’t think that process was on howie. I think CJGJ fully expected to get like 60-70mill in free agency or more and that just wasn’t realistic based on the current safety market. Howie couldn’t wait for CJGJ to decide what he wanted to do. If howie kept waiting we probably would’ve lost both bradberry and CJGJ.

That was after we already had resigned Bradberry, when he was about to sign with the Lions Howie was given the option to match the Lions' 1 year 8 mil contract but passed, we shouldn't have if Evans was their replacement. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Broadway Joe said:

That was after we already had resigned Bradberry, when he was about to sign with the Lions Howie was given the option to match the Lions' 1 year 8 mil contract but passed, we shouldn't have if Evans was their replacement. 

Howie was also making sure if another position went down in TC he actually had money to spend to go get someone.

Howie made CGJ priority #1. His Agent knew it, CGJ knew it and they passed for greener pastures elsewhere. 

Just because it didn't pan out and Howie moved on to plan B filling other roles in FA is not his fault. I'm sure if CGJ was signed, Slay let go instead we'd still have the same allotted money You believe we should of spent on CGJ in reserve for emergency. 

Him not being an Eagle, is on CGJ,  not Howie. We were never ever Keeping ALL 3! The other two (Slay on the 16th) were already signed when He came crawling back with his tail between his leg on the 19th. 

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Howie was also making sure if another position went down in TC he actually had money to spend to go get someone.

Howie made CGJ priority #1. His Agent knew it, CGJ knew it and they passed for greener pastures elsewhere. 

Just because it didn't pan out and Howie moved on to plan B filling other roles in FA is not his fault. I'm sure if CGJ was signed, Slay let go instead we'd still have the same allotted money You believe we should of spent on CGJ in reserve for emergency. 

Him not being an Eagle, is on CGJ,  not Howie. We were never ever Keeping ALL 3! The other two (Slay on the 16th) were all ready signed when He came crawling back with his tail between his leg on the 19th. 

No argument that he was priority #1 and that CJGJ and his agent are to blame.

However not matching the offer OR his plan B/C were mistakes by him.  

• Like 1