Week 2 MNF GDT #2: Cleveland Browns at Pittsburgh Steelers

candyman93

Who wins?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Browns
    • Steelers

11 minutes ago, ET80 said:

No -  it’s crappy for you because you follow the worst team in all of sports. Not in the NFL. Not in football. Not in the US, even. In ALL of sports. That’s a very special brand of crap. And you wake up and go to sleep in it for the better part of 30 years. 

💯 spot on, elite post

11 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Now… we’re in position to start saying the quiet parts out loud. Which is what many of us are doing. Including those who don’t cheer for good teams (but no matter how bad our teams are, we KNOW we’re not the Browns). 

This is a hard disagree for me. For 40 years now, in every sport, basketball, baseball, football, it’s cue the all Cleveland sports heartbreak montage.

It’s erroneously reporting that we fired BB when Modell did post Baltimore move when the Browns didn’t even have a team.

It’s the talking heads dunking on Cleveland all the time.

Respectfully, it’s never been quiet, the only difference is that now it’s completely justified as opposed to the pre 2022 Watson trade.

2 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

The quiet part has been being said out loud this entire time, it's just your perception of it on the outside that has changed

It was said by division rivals, sure. Now, the rest of us are saying these things - because there’s really no compunction to hold back. There used to be some when Cleveland was the gritty underdog - heck, I was pro Cleveland in the playoff W vs Pittsburgh (and I know I wasn’t the only one).

Perhaps you assumed it was everyone. NOW… you *are* right. It is everyone.

6 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

Go look at how Joe Thomas's career is talked about

For all intents and purposes, we all agree he’s one of the top T in football history. NFL All Decade team, first ballot HoFer. 

So how exactly is this negative? He himself hosted a show called “Embrace the Suck” and - despite that - we collectively said he’s one of the best football players of his generation. 

Such a slight on his honor, lemme tell you. First world problems.

11 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

go look at every infographic that has existed for the Browns in every one of their primetime games for the last decade. 

Did it ever occur to you that the information on those graphics is… *gasp* … true?

6 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Also, @ET80 -- I feel very vindicated on my "Deshaun Watson is super overrated" takes I had all the way back when he was playing in Houston 😋

He plays well amongst chaos. He can’t play on script or on time - his game was (is?) predicated on doing the unexpected. This was the case in Houston, and Bill O’Brien had the sense (or, perhaps lack of knowledge) to create structure to begin with. His play call was basically “Deshaun, go do Deshaun things…” and “Deshaun things” usually meant throwing it in Deandre Hopkins’ direction, or as far as he could so Will Fuller could run under it.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Also, @ET80 -- I feel very vindicated on my "Deshaun Watson is super overrated" takes I had all the way back when he was playing in Houston 😋

I didn’t like him as a prospect. One friend in particular joked with me for years about how I said he’d fizzle out (before he was drafted/we passed on him).

I’m glad I got the last laugh there…. 😿 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, ET80 said:

It was said by division rivals, sure. Now, the rest of us are saying these things - because there’s really no compunction to hold back. There used to be some when Cleveland was the gritty underdog - heck, I was pro Cleveland in the playoff W vs Pittsburgh (and I know I wasn’t the only one).

“I will not root for that team who employs a rapist at QB.  Instead, I’ll root for the team that’s gonna build a statue of their own rapist QB”.  

There’s not moral winner here my man.

• Like 2

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I didn’t like him as a prospect. One friend in particular joked with me for years about how I said he’d fizzle out (before he was drafted/we passed on him).

I’m glad I got the last laugh there…. 😿 

I remember the 2 (maybe 3?) games he played against the Ravens in Houston, we muddle-rushed him and kept him in the pocket and he couldn't do anything. Like, anything. And once the game was well out of hand, he hit a bunch of passes late in the game against soft prevent to make his stats not seem nearly as bad as he played. After those games, as I watched him more and more against other teams on the Texans, it felt like that was the story every week.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

“I will not root for that team who employs a rapist at QB.  Instead, I’ll root for the team that’s gonna build a statue of their own rapist QB”.  

There’s not moral winner here my man.

Some of us don’t have rapists playing QB - or, our team found out about said transgressions and traded him as soon as the legal situation clarified itself. (That’s where I fall on the spectrum).

Not all of us are fans of Pittsburgh.

6 minutes ago, ET80 said:

For all intents and purposes, we all agree he’s one of the top T in football history. NFL All Decade team, first ballot HoFer. 

So how exactly is this negative? He himself hosted a show called “Embrace the Suck” and - despite that - we collectively said he’s one of the best football players of his generation. 

Such a slight on his honor, lemme tell you. First world problems.

Did it ever occur to you that the information on those graphics is… *gasp* … true?

I actually have no idea what your point is, that Browns fans didn't truly realize how much the Browns sucked until we weren't somebody in Ontario's 2nd favorite team anymore? 

You think it's fun that half the conversation around your HOF player inevitably is about how unbelievably miserable the teams he played on was? I love Joe Thomas, I was happy to see him get in, but half of it was a reminder how crap we've been and that he deserved way better. Nobody was going to pull punches about that if we didn't have a sex pest at QB.

If the Browns with Baker go on a NE-like dynasty run do we become "lovable winners"? No we become hated just the same as other winning franchises, at best neutral. Nietzsche spoke to this 150 years ago. Lovable losers is just saying "stay in your place, so that we will keep liking you and you will be miserable and beloved".

14 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Some of us don’t have rapists playing QB - or, our team found out about said transgressions and traded him as soon as the legal situation clarified itself. (That’s where I fall on the spectrum).

You mean after he requested a trade.

If he wanted to stay and play in Houston I feel fairly confident he’d still be there.

14 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Not all of us are fans of Pittsburgh.

https://www.wdrb.com/news/houston-texans-minority-owner-facing-rape-charge-stemming-from-parties-at-his-louisville-home/article_003cea5e-3555-11ee-b5ae-db83af2cd5f4.html

Dis y’all?

It doesn't make sense for Watson, at 28 years old, to go from being what he was in Houston to becoming a crap starter.  And I'm not sure you can point fingers at rust.  He played 6 games to close out last year and had a full offseason this year.  He looked better returning from Torn ACLs in college and in the NFL.

Which makes me think that after being an adored athlete his entire life (Watson's character was considered one of his best traits coming out of Clemson and nobody ever had a bad thing to say about him), he is not handling the hate well (which he brought onto himself with his decisions) and it has wrecked his psyche.  

48 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

I actually have no idea what your point is, that Browns fans didn't truly realize how much the Browns sucked until we weren't somebody in Ontario's 2nd favorite team anymore? 

My point is that majority of us felt empathy for the Browns, and we all collectively waited for things to turn around. That’s not the case anymore, and this continued ineptitude is now something we look forward to.

You think it's fun that half the conversation around your HOF player inevitably is about how unbelievably miserable the teams he played on was?

Sounds like conversations I have about JJ Watt or Andre Johnson, to be blunt. Truth hurts - it’s not supposed to be fun. But I can at least recognize that the Texans did in fact waste the careers of those two. I’m not here to buy into delusions of grandeur; Two HoF talents wasted much of their time in Houston. That’s reality. Not fun, but it’s true if I’m going to be honest.

It almost feels like you want us to buy into some level of delusion when talking about Thomas?  What narrative SHOULD we discuss? 

If the Browns with Baker go on a NE-like dynasty run do we become "lovable winners"? No we become hated just the same as other winning franchises, at best neutral.

But if you lose with someone who is as hated as Deshaun Watson, you become worse than lovable losers. That’s sort of our point here, we now hope for this to continue. You’re hated… WITHOUT the winning.

Lovable losers is just saying "stay in your place, so that we will keep liking you and you will be miserable and beloved".

You’re staying in that place regardless - miserable, at least. 

• Like 1