Week 2 MNF GDT #2: Cleveland Browns at Pittsburgh Steelers

candyman93

Who wins?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Browns
    • Steelers

18 hours ago, ET80 said:

Dammit, this takes me back to 2015 when I’d burn through a pack of Marlboro golds while sitting on the patio of Bullpen Sports Bar watching Brian Hoyer throw it out of bounds while Nuk somehow pulled it in…

Smoking was such a bad habit. Glad I quit when I did.

This may be a weird thing to say, but I never pegged you as a smoker. 

• Like 1

On 9/18/2023 at 11:31 PM, jrry32 said:

He just seems worse in all facets. He doesn't even look athletic anymore.

I think this is the tell. He's bigger, heavier footed, not as explosive and not as well conditioned. This creates a cascade of issues with his footwork, mechanics, velocity, and accuracy. Then his processing seems sluggish as he's struggling to learn a new scheme for first time.

On 9/18/2023 at 11:47 PM, jrry32 said:

Deshaun going from an arguably top 5 QB at 25 to Jacoby Brissett at 27/28 is just wild, man.

Brissett was considerably better than him last season.

On 9/18/2023 at 11:52 PM, rob_shadows said:

Can you imagine paying Watson that contract to sit on the bench? 

Stefanski doesn't have Shanny cred but this might actually be the move in the near future. DTR might be the better QB in the offense.

On 9/19/2023 at 12:09 AM, sryan66611 said:

is Deshaun Watson done???    I mean it looks to me like a total regression is it possible for him to do well again???    is it the coaching/ offensive philosophy?    I did notice Baker Mayfield has improved since he left the Browns 

On 9/19/2023 at 11:11 AM, ET80 said:

He plays well amongst chaos. He can’t play on script or on time - his game was (is?) predicated on doing the unexpected. This was the case in Houston, and Bill O’Brien had the sense (or, perhaps lack of knowledge) to create structure to begin with. His play call was basically “Deshaun, go do Deshaun things…” and “Deshaun things” usually meant throwing it in Deandre Hopkins’ direction, or as far as he could so Will Fuller could run under it.

On 9/19/2023 at 11:42 AM, iknowcool said:

It doesn't make sense for Watson, at 28 years old, to go from being what he was in Houston to becoming a crap starter.  And I'm not sure you can point fingers at rust.  He played 6 games to close out last year and had a full offseason this year.  He looked better returning from Torn ACLs in college and in the NFL.

Which makes me think that after being an adored athlete his entire life (Watson's character was considered one of his best traits coming out of Clemson and nobody ever had a bad thing to say about him), he is not handling the hate well (which he brought onto himself with his decisions) and it has wrecked his psyche.  

I think Watson was a playmaker first and foremost. He had a knack for making spectacular throws and scrambles/runs. Now it's as if he's aged 3x past that near 3yr lay off. Add in the intense pressure, scrutiny, character and cognitive shortcomings exposed and also learning a new pro offense......he's about cooked.

Stefanski is a good coach and coordinator but he's for sure the first scapegoat in the queue. It's bleak.

• Like 3

On 9/19/2023 at 3:09 PM, Tugboat said:

I don't really get the callous, turn up your nose at sympathy, cold hearted self-isolation you're leaning into here.  It's pretty core human nature to prefer to be liked, rather than hated.

I know as a Jaguars fan, it's been a long haul as the only other franchise that can even give Cleveland Browns a run for their money in terms of futility.  But in that, i still find that it's less miserable to at least have other fanbases sympathetic to that situation.  Other fanbases sympathy has zero bearing on the reality of the W-L record...that is what it is, regardless.  It's just nicer to not also be hated while still watching a losing, awful team.

For example...it was fun as heck to have most of the rest of the league rallying around the 2017 Cinderella run with Bortle and Sacksonville and all the rest.  No, it's not some magic elixir that cures the misery of decades of mostly losing and often embarrassingly so.  But it's preferable to being hated, and still being a perennially bad football team.  Joy and excitement can be contagious.  Having others join in to that sentiment when something good does happen is pleasant.

Yeah obviously it's preferential to be liked than disliked, but it's like cutting off a dead appendage that got infected, and people pretending you didn't become a cripple until they realized it.

On 9/20/2023 at 10:19 AM, Chrissooner49er said:

Why isn't anyone talking about this?! He should have been DQed instantly--especially since the official was trying to remove him from the situation! 

He probably would have been if he wasn't a quarterback.  That and the fact it was a prime time game.

5 hours ago, Rod Johnson said:

Yeah obviously it's preferential to be liked than disliked, but it's like cutting off a dead appendage that got infected, and people pretending you didn't become a cripple until they realized it.

Except...it's the other way around.  It's infecting yourself by doing something well understood to be toxic.

The infection is DeShaun Watson.  Going well out of their way to bring that pretty much universally despised, toxic presence in.  While simultaneously actually making the team worse and bigger losers.  Between the masses of draft capital and prohibitive cap commitment...on a bad quarterback.

What the Texans did is more akin to what your analogy translates to.  Cutting off that toxic, diseased limb to save themselves from being "hated losers".  They're losers and still mired in that.  But they get more benefit of the doubt for at least doing what it takes to purge the disease.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 9/19/2023 at 10:47 AM, ET80 said:

No -  it’s crappy for you because you follow the worst team in all of sports. Not in the NFL. Not in football. Not in the US, even. In ALL of sports. That’s a very special brand of crap. And you wake up and go to sleep in it for the better part of 30 years. 

Now… we’re in position to start saying the quiet parts out loud. Which is what many of us are doing. Including those who don’t cheer for good teams (but no matter how bad our teams are, we KNOW we’re not the Browns). 

Nice 30 point L to the worst team in all of sports bum.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rod Johnson said:

Nice 30 point L to the worst team in all of sports bum.

Three month bump. You must have been sitting on that for a while. I have that sort of impact on people.

Enjoy the six weeks of relevance. You'll be back where you belong in a few months. 

• Like 2