Week 2 MNF GDT #2: Cleveland Browns at Pittsburgh Steelers

candyman93

Who wins?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Browns
    • Steelers

33 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Does Baker Mayfield look like an even better option now? I mean he was only the best QB for Cleveland in 32 years. Yet, somehow, he is seen as a bust because he played through injury and terrible coaching...

I always thought letting Baker play himself into or out of a contract in year 5 was a better option. I don't believe yet that Stefanski is a terrible coach, Baker was missing easy reads all through 2021 and has somewhat proven that he's not a good QB. I'm probably guessing Haslem created a sense of desperation in the FO that was not necessary since we had a lot of important parts of our roster locked up and had a couple years to sustain some level of success.

Stefanski scheme really just requires a decently smart and accurate QB that can keep the ball moving. Baker floated in and out of competence in it, Jacoby was pretty solid in it, Deshaun hasn't really been close.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

Is this about team building or is this about how Browns fans should feel about the perception of their team? Perception is and has always been that this is a horrible team, if fans were getting pick-me-ups because fans of other teams pity them then they should reconsider why that sentiment had any importance to them in the first place.

I don't really get the callous, turn up your nose at sympathy, cold hearted self-isolation you're leaning into here.  It's pretty core human nature to prefer to be liked, rather than hated.

I know as a Jaguars fan, it's been a long haul as the only other franchise that can even give Cleveland Browns a run for their money in terms of futility.  But in that, i still find that it's less miserable to at least have other fanbases sympathetic to that situation.  Other fanbases sympathy has zero bearing on the reality of the W-L record...that is what it is, regardless.  It's just nicer to not also be hated while still watching a losing, awful team.

For example...it was fun as heck to have most of the rest of the league rallying around the 2017 Cinderella run with Bortle and Sacksonville and all the rest.  No, it's not some magic elixir that cures the misery of decades of mostly losing and often embarrassingly so.  But it's preferable to being hated, and still being a perennially bad football team.  Joy and excitement can be contagious.  Having others join in to that sentiment when something good does happen is pleasant.

Edited by Tugboat
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, DawgX said:

I like Baker, but he's faced two pretty horrible defenses... let's settle down now lol

You totally just skipped what the main topic of my question about Deshaun LOL...     I know Baker is going to be Baker but compared to what he looked like during the tail end of his time with the Browns he is better.   I'm also talking about last year when he was with the Rams he looked better as well.   

Either way its not about Baker I'm generally curious what people think about Deshaun can he become what he was with the Texans or has that ship sailed?   What is the cause for his regression?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Only in a sports forum will this be a hot take: The second following a team stops consistently making you feel happier or helps with the itch you want to scratch, leave and don't come back until being a fan makes you happier.

Making yourself miserable for the badge of "not being a fair weather fan" is an especially dumb way to live your life for people who don't care one bit about you. If you want to be a miserable fan watching, fine. If not, check out as much as you need to.

To extrapolate on this, it will also be better for your health as an individual.  While it's not applicable to all sports fans, there's a clear correlation between the main vices (drinking, smoking, and gambling) and sports.  And that correlation can lead, particularly in times of spiked stress caused by "the lean years" most teams experience at one point or another, to addiction or at least consumption that isn't good for anyone's health.

On a personal note, I by and large only drink premium spirits (decision I made a while back based on personal preference and also to heel rate of consumption from my pre-parent days).  Last season, with as shambolic as things were for the Rams (and that there was, considering all the injuries, no clear relief in sight that was just plain "the end of the season"), as soon as I started noticing that I was going through $75-100 bottles at a noticeably quicker rate than I was accustom to... I just de-prioritized watching games live.  And I'm thankful for it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Only in a sports forum will this be a hot take: The second following a team stops consistently making you feel happier or helps with the itch you want to scratch, leave and don't come back until being a fan makes you happier.

In some instances, this is achievable once Jack Easterby is fired. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dr LBC said:

To extrapolate on this, it will also be better for your health as an individual.  While it's not applicable to all sports fans, there's a clear correlation between the main vices (drinking, smoking, and gambling) and sports.  And that correlation can lead, particularly in times of spiked stress caused by "the lean years" most teams experience at one point or another, to addiction or at least consumption that isn't good for anyone's health.

On a personal note, I by and large only drink premium spirits (decision I made a while back based on personal preference and also to heel rate of consumption from my pre-parent days).  Last season, with as shambolic as things were for the Rams (and that there was, considering all the injuries, no clear relief in sight that was just plain "the end of the season"), as soon as I started noticing that I was going through $75-100 bottles at a noticeably quicker rate than I was accustom to... I just de-prioritized watching games live.  And I'm thankful for it.

The NFL's advertising dollars are unprecedented in part because sports are live, and in part because the largest audience is male, 18-35, which is also the largest target for addiction in general.

I would argue this correlation is the result of tremendously effective marketing by those industries. Particularly alcohol, but I'll get off my soapbox.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

In some instances, this is achievable once Jack Easterby is fired. 

Some instances.  But, as the Spanii in SoCal, have shown us, bad (in terms of their judgment of staff) owners tend to bad owner.  And just because they get rid of one General Manager who clearly has their head up their butt, doesn't mean they're not going to turn right around and hire someone with just as much of a fetish - because they, somehow, believe that they just got a bad egg the last time and they never actually evaluate their own picker... because (surely this couldn't be the case) the problem couldn't be with them.

I will now stop shoveling dirt.😉

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I would argue this correlation is the result of tremendously effective marketing by those industries. Particularly alcohol, but I'll get off my soapbox.

I may be misremembering, but I could swear Joe Cool and Camel cigarettes in the commercial rotation back in the mid 80s…

• Like 1

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

s-l1600.png

Dammit, this takes me back to 2015 when I’d burn through a pack of Marlboro golds while sitting on the patio of Bullpen Sports Bar watching Brian Hoyer throw it out of bounds while Nuk somehow pulled it in…

Smoking was such a bad habit. Glad I quit when I did.

6 minutes ago, Dr LBC said:

Some instances.  But, as the Spanii in SoCal, have shown us, bad (in terms of their judgment of staff) owners tend to bad owner.  And just because they get rid of one General Manager who clearly has their head up their butt, doesn't mean they're not going to turn right around and hire someone with just as much of a fetish - because they, somehow, believe that they just got a bad egg the last time and they never actually evaluate their own picker... because (surely this couldn't be the case) the problem couldn't be with them.

I will now stop shoveling dirt.😉

I actually have good evidence that recent decisions are coming from Hannah McNair - wife of Cal, usually in the background but a bit more active nowadays. While she’s not drafting CH Stroud or trading up for Will Anderson, she’s empowering people like DeMeco Ryans to do their jobs.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Dammit, this takes me back to 2015 when I’d burn through a pack of Marlboro golds while sitting on the patio of Bullpen Sports Bar watching Brian Hoyer throw it out of bounds while Nuk somehow pulled it in…

I remember back when you were a lot cooler then too. Shame. 

• Like 3