Random Thoughts - In season 2023

dll2000

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

In fairness he added two really good players this offseason to OL.   He didn't anticipate all the off field issues with Davis, but Davis is a good football player.  

It was a decade of OL neglect that led to this problem.  

He could of drafted additional OL. Whitehair has been needing an upgrade for years. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nads786 said:

He could of drafted additional OL. Whitehair has been needing an upgrade for years. 

Yes.  He left it one move short.  He should have been more aggressive in going after a C in FA and failing that getting one in first 3 rounds of draft.

Whitehair should have been interim C in event you didn't sign a veteran and weren't ready to play rookie on opening day and G/C depth with Jenkins and Davis presumed starters and Carter depth as well.

I would have told Eiselen he was moving to C full time in offseason too, which is his more natural fit, and let him compete for that spot.  He got buried at, at the time, deep G spot and ultimately cut as a result.   

I think Eiselen could have competed at C and would have had a good shot to make the team and contribute.  But that is neither here nor there.  Bottom or roster stuff.

Point is we should have signed a good FA C or drafted one.   Whitehair at C for season with Patrick backing him was not a good plan.  

1) Whitehair doesn't always snap great when he was C.  Is not a natural snapper.  

2) Hasn't played C in awhile.  

2) Patrick showed he was not good at blocking last year and has trouble staying healthy. 

3) Whitehair has had trouble staying healthy lately. 

I just keep going back to my conversation with a person I know that works at Halas after the draft.... and them being absolutely baffled when I mentioned that I was upset we didn't draft a Center. The impression I got was that center wasn't even remotely on their radar as a potential position of need inside the building.  This team doesn't seem to be capable of evaluating their own talent (or lack thereof).

This wasn't included in that convo, but I'm seeing the same issue with Mooney right now. Guy had a great season.... years ago. He simply needs to get more involved.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Epyon said:

I just keep going back to my conversation with a person I know that works at Halas after the draft.... and them being absolutely baffled when I mentioned that I was upset we didn't draft a Center. The impression I got was that center wasn't even remotely on their radar as a potential position of need inside the building.  This team doesn't seem to be capable of evaluating their own talent (or lack thereof).

This wasn't included in that convo, but I'm seeing the same issue with Mooney right now. Guy had a great season.... years ago. He simply needs to get more involved.

Did you feel like Bagent targeted Mooney at a higher rate than Fields ever did? I thought so yesterday but have zero interest in rewatching any of that. 

18 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Yes.  He left it one move short.  He should have been more aggressive in going after a C in FA and failing that getting one in first 3 rounds of draft.

Whitehair should have been interim C in event you didn't sign a veteran and weren't ready to play rookie on opening day and G/C depth with Jenkins and Davis presumed starters and Carter depth as well.

I would have told Eiselen he was moving to C full time in offseason too, which is his more natural fit, and let him compete for that spot.  He got buried at, at the time, deep G spot and ultimately cut as a result.   

I think Eiselen could have competed at C and would have had a good shot to make the team and contribute.  But that is neither here nor there.  Bottom or roster stuff.

Point is we should have signed a good FA C or drafted one.   Whitehair at C for season with Patrick backing him was not a good plan.  

1) Whitehair doesn't always snap great when he was C.  Is not a natural snapper.  

2) Hasn't played C in awhile.  

2) Patrick showed he was not good at blocking last year and has trouble staying healthy. 

3) Whitehair has had trouble staying healthy lately. 

This is assuming I didn't land Pocic, but I offered more than CLE so that likely isn't an issue. Honestly I would have taken Leatherwood and Borom and let them know I want to try them at center. Both knew the system, Borom showed he could be a swing tackle so that may open up a need of he just has to work at 3 spots now. Leatherwood was already a decent depth guy at OG and his athleticism was a major bonus in his favor. I don't believe either is the long-term answer but I like their physical gifts more than I do Whitehair with his snapping issues. Even if they don't make it I don't like the idea of only two guys dressing who know how to snap.

If it works out great, if not at least you know you put your best few guys there and they beat out someone rather than just being handed a role. 

17 hours ago, Epyon said:

If not then it shows a major delusion inside the building right now. That's absolutely insane. 

• Like 1

I know it is a long shot.

Repeat: I know it is a long shot.  A really long shot.  A really, really, long, long, shot.  I don't expect it will happen.  

That being said: 

I don't think it out of realm of possibilities that Bagent could seize this opportunity.   He is not without talent.

We live in a world with Tom Brady and Kurt Warner in it.  What were odds their stories played out way they did?

They needed injuries and an opportunity.  Granted they had really good teams around them.  That really helps.  

But Bagent is big enough, strong enough, athletic and smart.   

If he was a first round pick for some team he would be getting reps and attention he would need for a real shot in the league.   He has to do it hard way now.   

So much about playing NFL QB is not just athletic ability, but is between the ears AND proper training/coaching/reps AND surrounding talent during developmental years.

Who knows?

It is also a long shot for ANY QB to make it.  Odds go up a lot when you get all reps and opportunity.  But still.

But look at 2021 draft.   8 QBs went in first 3 rounds.   

Right now ONLY Lawrence is a solidified starter and he is inconsistent too. 

Right now of those 8 everyone but Lawrence is looking like a back up, journeyman spot starter or out of league.

ALL potential or young QBs that haven't made it yet are long shots in perspective and relatively speaking.  Regardless.  

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

I know it is a long shot.

Repeat: I know it is a long shot.  A really long shot.  A really, really, long, long, shot.  I don't expect it will happen.  

That being said: 

I don't think it out of realm of possibilities that Bagent could seize this opportunity.   He is not without talent.

We live in a world with Tom Brady and Kurt Warner in it.  What were odds their stories played out way they did?

They needed injuries and an opportunity.  Granted they had really good teams around them.  That really helps.  

But Bagent is big enough, strong enough, athletic and smart.   

If he was a first round pick for some team he would be getting reps and attention he would need for a real shot in the league.   He has to do it hard way now.   

So much about playing NFL QB is not just athletic ability, but is between the ears AND proper training/coaching/reps AND surrounding talent during developmental years.

Who knows?

It is also a long shot for ANY QB to make it.  Odds go up a lot when you get all reps and opportunity.  But still.

But look at 2021 draft.   8 QBs went in first 3 rounds.   

Right now ONLY Lawrence is a solidified starter and he is inconsistent too. 

Right now of those 8 everyone but Lawrence is looking like a back up, journeyman spot starter or out of league.

ALL potential or young QBs that haven't made it yet are long shots in perspective and relatively speaking.  Regardless.  

That would be awesome if he could, but he would have to play out-of-this-world for him to:

1.  Take the starting gig from Fields once he returns; and

2.  Cause the Bears to not consider a QB with their top pick, especially if they land 1.1

14 hours ago, CBears019 said:

That would be awesome if he could, but he would have to play out-of-this-world for him to:

1.  Take the starting gig from Fields once he returns; and

2.  Cause the Bears to not consider a QB with their top pick, especially if they land 1.1

Agreed