Sashi Brown out in Cleveland

BroncoSojia

26 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

Starters on a historically bad team is irrelevant. The 2007-2009 rams had “starters”. The question you ask is can these “starters” start on the best teams in the league.

bonafide nfl starters already:
Garrett
Ogbah
Shon Coleman

shown flashes, likely success:
Ogunjobi
Njoku

shown flashes, unable to tell
Schobert
Kindred
Peppers
Brantley

shown flashes, losing faith:
c. coleman

likely backups (selected with mid level/late backup quality picks):
nassib
Drango
dayes
devalve

likely failures:
both qbs
rest of the wrs from 2016

unknowns:
Rod Johnson
Howard Wilson

say what you want- comparitively thats a high hit rate for players making it in the NFL at a starter and backup level. 

Brown's fans deserve better than the crap that's been going on with their organization. Hopefully someday, sooner rather than latter, they will get a competent owner. Haslam is toxic. The carousel that is going on in the front office will continue with that guy as owner.

42 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

Starters on a historically bad team is irrelevant. The 2007-2009 rams had “starters”. The question you ask is can these “starters” start on the best teams in the league.

Garrett looks to be a stud, but that was an easy draft choice. Njoku has shown a ton of flashes already, despite being so raw. Makes some great receptions, but sucks as a blocker. Peppers hasn't done much, but to be fair he's being used horribly - he's being used to play deep center field when his strengths are playing closer to the LOS. Ogunjobi looks very good when he gets playing time, and I expect him to become the starter sooner or later. Brantley is another good rotational lineman with potential. Wilson and Johnson have both been injured. Dayes has been good at returning kicks, so that's worth a seventh round pick.

Corey Coleman has broken his hand both seasons. He's a bit inconsistent, but there's been more to like than dislike with him. He's also had to deal with absolute crap at QB. I think he's a legit #2 receiver. Ogbah has been great at run defense and was starting to come on more as a pass rusher before getting injured this year. Nassib is a solid third DE, although he has been slightly disappointing this season. Schobert has far exceeded any expectations. I think most Browns fans would have been happy if he were just merely average at MLB, but I'd say he's been well above average this season. Definitely a hit for a fourth round pick. Devalve and Kindred both seem like quality backups, and Drango is a decent backup as well.

It's still too early to say if these drafts were successes or not, but they look pretty good thus far. You can criticize them for passing on Wentz and Watson, but does anyone truly believe those guys would be as successful if they were in Cleveland? 

4 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Fired passing on Wentz and Watson, but to be honest the drafts haven't been as bad as people suggest, but you just can't pass on Franchise QBs

Free agency was a joke. We made a lot of mistakes in the construction of this team. Most of the draft picks were fine/good. It was how this organization was structured and what was apparently valued that baffled me. Also, a freaking monkey could have made most of the draft picks we did. There were a lot of no-brainers there for us. It's tough to praise a dude for taking Myles Garrett instead of Charles Harris or something like that. When you're this bad, drafting and FA should be easy. It's when you're winning games and have to find players in the mid-late 1st that define how good you are, in my opinion. I'm glad he didn't botch everything at the top of the draft, but I wouldn't be screaming Sashi's name in bed over what he did. I never liked him and it's hard to place why. He just seemed like a gigantic nerd that was too smart for his own good. Wanted to do things differently to the extreme and it cost him.

Hell, after Ray Farmer, everyone looks like GM of the year to me though.

Glad Hue is staying. For as frustrated as I get with him, we need some continuity.

7 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Brought them back? Yikes....there's an edit button you can make on posts. I'd go ahead and utilize that feature and change the wording.

Stand by my comments.  2018 was their target date to relevance.  Brown laid out a 3-year plan to get there and a 5-year plan to be perennial contenders.  Haslem was too impatient to follow it even though Brown was hired with that pitch.   

As for Hue...

Haslem kept the wrong guy.  SMH. 

20 minutes ago, DawgX said:

You can criticize them for passing on Wentz and Watson, but does anyone truly believe those guys would be as successful if they were in Cleveland? 

I do. We have a lot in place outside of the abysmal QB position. We need another WR and 2-3 more guys on defense. That's not THAT much. If you dropped a franchise QB off into our laps, we'd be a halfway decent team. People seem to believe that we have talent that just can't get it together because Cleveland. Do you really think that if we swapped Kizer and Wentz that the Eagles/Browns fortunes would still look similar right now?

QB: Watson (for example)

RB: Crowell

FB: Vitale

WR: Gordon/Coleman

TE: Njoku/DeValve

LT: Thomas

LG: Bitonio

C: Tretter

RG: Zeitler

RT: Coleman

That's a pretty damn good offense going forward. We'd need a slot WR and that's it, assuming Gordon doesn't get all stoney on us again.

That being said, I didn't want Wentz or Watson, thinking both were crazy overrated at the time.

Browns are not that far away from being relevant. If they can figure out the QB situation, the rest of the puzzle will come together. I am nervous we're going to flub this upcoming draft up, as there are 4-5 QB's worth selecting in R1. Some will be awesome. Some will suck. Given our luck, we will find the crappy one.

19 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Free agency was a joke. We made a lot of mistakes in the construction of this team. Most of the draft picks were fine/good. It was how this organization was structured and what was apparently valued that baffled me. Also, a freaking monkey could have made most of the draft picks we did. There were a lot of no-brainers there for us. It's tough to praise a dude for taking Myles Garrett instead of Charles Harris or something like that. When you're this bad, drafting and FA should be easy. It's when you're winning games and have to find players in the mid-late 1st that define how good you are, in my opinion. I'm glad he didn't botch everything at the top of the draft, but I wouldn't be screaming Sashi's name in bed over what he did. I never liked him and it's hard to place why. He just seemed like a gigantic nerd that was too smart for his own good. Wanted to do things differently to the extreme and it cost him.

Hell, after Ray Farmer, everyone looks like GM of the year to me though.

Glad Hue is staying. For as frustrated as I get with him, we need some continuity.

2 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Browns are not that far away from being relevant. If they can figure out the QB situation, the rest of the puzzle will come together. I am nervous we're going to flub this upcoming draft up, as there are 4-5 QB's worth selecting in R1. Some will be awesome. Some will suck. Given our luck, we will find the crappy one.

whaaaaaaaaaaaa

Just now, Broncofan said:

Stand by my comments.  2018 was their target date to relevance.  Brown laid out a 3-year plan to get there and a 5-year plan to be perennial contenders.  Haslem was too impatient to follow it even though Brown was hired with that pitch.    

I guess you can say this, but Sashi's QB decisions were obviously terrible. I don't want him getting another chance at this one, especially in a draft where there is bound to be at least 1 stud QB waiting for us atop the draft. We have the #1 pick. Whoever our GM is better know who to select from this QB group. I think we've seen enough of Sashi to know it's not him.

According to sources, Sashi didn't think Wentz was any good. And apparently he thought Deshaun Watson was useless, because he was staring us right in the face...with a glaring hole at QB...and we traded him away. Then we took Kizer. A year after having RGIII and Cody Kessler as the QB's. I'll admit it, I was OK with all of these moves at the time, but I'd like to think that someone being paid to do this job would be a better evaluator of QB's than I am. His best QB decision was keeping Josh McCown here last season. That's embarrassing.

Peace out Sashi. Take your broken analytical system somewhere else.

6 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Passing on 2 franchise QBs and going 1-27 (most likely 1-31) in two seasons is too much for him to stomach imo. Marinelli went 0-16 with the Lions and that was the death nail for his head coaching opportunities. To be that abysmal on the football field, heads have to roll.  

3 minutes ago, mistakey said:

whaaaaaaaaaaaa

If you give this team Carson Wentz, are we still irrelevant? I don't think so. Are we 10-2 like Philly is right now? No, but we sure as hell wouldn't be at the bottom of the barrel. This Browns team has a good amount of talent. It's just young talent being held back by hilariously bad QB play.

Teams with way less talent than we have this season have turned it around quickly with a good draft and FA period...especially if we are able to find that stud QB. That's a huge piece of the puzzle, but that's what I mean: If you have a competent GM, you should be hitting on the QB this year.

1 minute ago, Tony7188 said:

Passing on 2 franchise QBs and going 1-27 (most likely 1-31) in two seasons is too much for him to stomach imo. Marinelli went 0-16 with the Lions and that was the death nail for his head coaching opportunities. To be that abysmal on the football field, heads have to roll.  

They really don't though.

If you were told it would be a 3-5 year plan and you fire them after 1 3/4 years, the guy doing the firing is either a. Impatient, b. Incompetent or c., didn't understand the plan in the first place or d. All of the above, which is Jimmy Haslam.

Archived