Week 5 GDT: Broncos vs. NY Jets

broncosfan_101

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Same. And for parity, I would love to see that Broncos @ Raiders week 18 game be for that pick. 

Would the Broncos draft Williams with Wilson tying them up through 2026? Or trade the pick for a massive price to rebuild is my question.

Denver will do what Atlanta did with Matt Ryan if they need to. Cut Wilson and eat the dead cap hit for a year. They have owners with deep pockets who want a superstar so they can market the hell out of him. 

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

Denver will do what Atlanta did with Matt Ryan if they need to. Cut Wilson and eat the dead cap hit for a year. They have owners with deep pockets who want a superstar so they can market the hell out of him. 

This looks a lot messier than Matt Ryan's situation. 

2024 release: No post-June 1 designation

• 2024 salary cap increase: $49.6 million
  • 2024 dead money: $85 million

2024 release: Post-June 1 designation

• 2024 salary cap increase: $17.6 million
  • 2024 dead money: $53 million
  • 2025 dead money: $32 million

Edited by big_palooka

24 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

This looks a lot messier than Matt Ryan's situation. 

2024 release: No post-June 1 designation

• 2024 salary cap increase: $49.6 million
  • 2024 dead money: $85 million

2024 release: Post-June 1 designation

• 2024 salary cap increase: $17.6 million
  • 2024 dead money: $53 million
  • 2025 dead money: $32 million

We've actually had this conversation 3 weeks ago - and it was already very clear it's manageable if a team commits.  Which you would of course know, since you were the same guy raising the Q:

The only logical conclusion is either you've lost your memory, or it's a troll job.  Your own post kinda damns you here.    

Maybe we can actually get back on-topic, since this has been discussed ad nauseum.   In your own words, you weren't that familiar with cap workings 3 weeks ago, but it was well covered at that time - so maybe let the GDT thread actually stay on-topic.     

You think the Jets will boat race the Broncos, I think the Jets have the edge.   That's GDT dicussion.  But maybe we don't need to go back off-topic on discussion that was well-covered once, that you yourself were a part of - and try to derail another thread.    Again, your own post kinda sheds light on what's happening here.    

In other words, ppl - don't feed the troll. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

@big_palooka

I'm starting to have some theories that you secretly want to root for the Broncos like your family that you've mentioned. Kinda like that bully in gradeschool who secretly has a crush on the person they are targeting. Am I just writing fan fiction here or not? Cause I'm not gonna lie, I'm starting to get intrigued by this story haha

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

We've actually had this conversation 3 weeks ago - and it was already very clear it's manageable if a team commits.  Which you would of course know, since you were the same guy raising the Q:

The only logical conclusion is either you've lost your memory, or it's a troll job.  Your own post kinda damns you here.    

Maybe we can actually get back on-topic, since this has been discussed ad nauseum.   In your own words, you weren't that familiar with cap workings 3 weeks ago, but it was well covered at that time - so maybe let the GDT thread actually stay on-topic.     

You think the Jets will boat race the Broncos, I think the Jets have the edge.   That's GDT dicussion.  But maybe we don't need to go back off-topic on discussion that was well-covered once, that you yourself were a part of - and try to derail another thread.    Again, your own post kinda sheds light on what's happening here.    

In other words, ppl - don't feed the troll. 

This is where I pulled the information:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-breaking-down-russell-wilsons-contract-and-when-the-broncos-can-realistically-get-rid-of-him/

Wasn't trolling, just trying to understand the ramifications of it all as the information is all over the place. Forgive me for not recalling from memory as post from a couple weeks ago. 

18 minutes ago, Dbrog24 said:

@big_palooka

I'm starting to have some theories that you secretly want to root for the Broncos like your family that you've mentioned. Kinda like that bully in gradeschool who secretly has a crush on the person they are targeting. Am I just writing fan fiction here or not? Cause I'm not gonna lie, I'm starting to get intrigued by this story haha

lol, I wouldn't go that far. I will say, the things that made me a Raiders fan are really fading since moving to Vegas. The black hole is long gone. Replaced by the glitz and glamour of Vegas, which doesn't resonate with me.  The Raiders feel more like a Vegas attraction now for out of town fans to come see their team play in Americas playground. The Raiders are the Blue Man Group of the NFL. 

Maybe it's just the losing and constant drama. I don't know for sure. But I find interest in how other teams are operating and their culture a lot more that years past. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

lol, I wouldn't go that far. I will say, the things that made me a Raiders fan are really fading since moving to Vegas. The black hole is long gone. Replaced by the glitz and glamour of Vegas, which doesn't resonate with me.  The Raiders feel more like a Vegas attraction now for out of town fans to come see their team play in Americas playground. The Raiders are the Blue Man Group of the NFL. 

Maybe it's just the losing and constant drama. I don't know for sure. But I find interest in how other teams are operating and their culture a lot more that years past. 

I wish sports culture wasn’t so weird about people changing their fan allegiances. Cheer for teams you wanna cheer for. It’s stupid to cheer for sports teams no matter how you dress it up, so look for reasons to make it slightly less stupid. Especially when you’re currently aligned with teams you chose as a young kid who didn’t know anything (dumping teams you’ve chosen as an adult, a little slimy maybe). I’ve changed NBA and NHL allegiances in my adult life, and truthfully, I was really close to dumping the Broncos about 5 years ago. 

I’m not sure I’ll ever forgive George @lomaxgrUK for making me a Man United fan, though. God we are ****e.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

I wish sports culture wasn’t so weird about people changing their fan allegiances. Cheer for teams you wanna cheer for. It’s stupid to cheer for sports teams no matter how you dress it up, so look for reasons to make it slightly less stupid. Especially when you’re currently aligned with teams you chose as a young kid who didn’t know anything (dumping teams you’ve chosen as an adult, a little slimy maybe). I’ve changed NBA and NHL allegiances in my adult life, and truthfully, I was really close to dumping the Broncos about 5 years ago. 

I’m not sure I’ll ever forgive George @lomaxgrUK for making me a Man United fan, though. God we are ****e.

Football is a different animal, and I'm not sure why to me. Maybe the shorter schedule or larger rosters. NBA, I've always rooted for the player and that's where I follow. Dame is my guy, so will be rooting for the Bucks now. 

To your point, I became a Raiders fan as a kid because the colors and Bo Jackson and just stuck with it. But you get steeped into the history, etc. of a team you like it's easy to root for them through it all.

I will say, I hate bandwagon NFL fans though. I live in major city. I remember when everyone had Seahawks gear, the a Broncos gears after they won the Super Bowl. I don't see Broncos gear anywhere now. It's all KC and some Eagles now. I get it, everyone loves a winner but it's kind of soft to show up in the good times.

4 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Without the lows, the highs aren't highs, mi hombre. 

Not to hi-jack the game day thread, but explain soccer to me in relation to the NFL as I'm a soccer novice. I was in Porto last month and saw their kits and was curious how it all fits together in Europe. 

I understand premier league is the UK correct? Off topic quickly, if I was to pick team at random (excluding the 4 names I know), say Crystal Palace because that sounds very Breaking Bad. They are the [blank] of the NFL? 

Question is, how do other counties leagues factor in? Does Real Madrid (another name I know) play Man U for example? Or is everything by country?

Whereas the NFL has their rules. Canada has their league and rules and they don't cross over, etc.

24 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I understand premier league is the UK correct? Off topic quickly, if I was to pick team at random (excluding the 4 names I know), say Crystal Palace because that sounds very Breaking Bad. They are the [blank] of the NFL? 

Question is, how do other counties leagues factor in? Does Real Madrid (another name I know) play Man U for example? Or is everything by country?

Whereas the NFL has their rules. Canada has their league and rules and they don't cross over, etc.

The English Soccer pyramid is a promotion / relegation system. There aren't franchises that are entitled to be in the Premier League. Each year, 3 teams are relegated (i.e the 3 worst records) and 3 teams are promoted from the league below (the Championship). You only play teams within your league, other than cup competitions (explained below).

So, there is no such thing as tanking in Soccer in England (or any other European league). There is no benefit to losing. In fact, the ramifications of relegation are HUGE from a financial standpoint. Less money = less player investment = less talent = poor performance.

Crystal Palace are a team that at any moment could face a season where relegation is a possibility. The club doesn't generate much revenue, and frankly, they punch about their weight in terms of performance vs talent. Fortunately for them, South London is a hot-bed for talent, so their youth system is excellent (no draft, so players can be attached to clubs from as young as 7 years old).

In terms of other countries - all clubs that are part of UEFA (Union of European Football Associations) can qualify for European cup competitions. Each top league in each UEFA country gets given criteria on which teams qualify for the 3 UEFA cup competitions. 

UEFA Champions League - the most prestigious trophy in all of club football. Yearly competition that is a group stage, then 2 teams advance to a knockout. You qualify for this by finishing high in your domestic league the year before. The best performing leagues (England, Spain, Italy, Germany) get 4 teams for the Champions League.

UEFA Europa League - the second most prestigious trophy in the UEFA pyramid. The winner gets automatic qualification for the Champions League next year. Same format as the Champions League; group stage, then a knockout.

UEFA Europa Conference League - the 'bottom' trophy in the UEFA pyramid. The winner gets automatic qualification for the Europa League next year.

There is technically something called FFP that is supposed to ensure financial fair play to stop teams buying all the talent unless they generate the revenue to do so, but there are so many loopholes and nobody gets punished properly.

Pretty much every Soccer team in Europe loses money, sans German teams (have to be majority owned by fans and have to make a profit). Money has ruined the game. Oil money is used to sportswash reputations, and fans are so fickle they don't even see it.

Now is a good time to get out of being a fan, not to get in.

• Like 1

Lomax is right - Soccer is rapidly going down the tubes because of the money.

When the PL was established in 1992 (I think) and Sky took over the TV rights - players on average were paid £5000 a week - not the top players can get £500,000 a week. In 1992 there were players in the lower divisions playing for £200 a week - and they are still playing for £200 a week. There has been a massive transfusion of the wealth in football to the top division (in other countries as well). There are now a limited number of clubs in Europe that win pretty much every competition.

I support a League of Ireland club - Bohemian FC - a 100% fan-owned club with a passionate following - known for being anti-fascist and anti-racist and supportive of refugees etc. The club plays in a ground, Dalymount Park, that is falling apart - it used to hold up to 30,000-40,000 for international matches up to 1980s, but now, for safety, its limited to 5,000 (which is packed out every game - there is a long waiting list for club membership and season tickets). The local council have repeatedly promised to rebuild the ground into a 10,000 all-seater stadium - and have repeatedly broken their promises over the past 20 years. The club stays afloat primarily by producing kids that end up going to English clubs for small transfer fees, but will significant sell-on clauses - e.g. one of the top young players in England is Evan Ferguson who Brighton signed from Bohs - Ferguson will eventually be bought by one of the Saudi owned clubs for something like £100m and Bohs will get £15m because of the sell-on clause in the transfer contract two years ago (now Ferguson is a one off - but LOI clubs do get decent money when players are sold between clubs in Britain).

• Like 2

Thank you both for the explanation. Soccer culture has always been fascinating to me. Intersting the way it's structured. I wasn't aware most clubs loose money. I assumed it was similar to American sports. That explains the oil money which I always see attached to the sport, but haven't bothered to read up on it. Similar to what's happened with the PGA/LIV drama. 

Is there a possible solution or is the grip on the sport to tight now? What's stopping that same money from say buying the XFL and paying NFL stars fully guaranteed contracts, etc. and pulling them from the NFL as an example?

13 hours ago, big_palooka said:

The black hole is long gone. Replaced by the glitz and glamour of Vegas, which doesn't resonate with me.  The Raiders feel more like a Vegas attraction now for out of town fans to come see their team play in Americas playground. The Raiders are the Blue Man Group of the NFL. 

spit.coffee.from.nose.   Great analogy!